Sherlock

I could go either way with it, but I do believe living immediate family should get something(barring a will that says otherwise) if someone is going to profit from another person's work, as is, why should they get it for free?

Perhaps, although I should mention that the author died in 1930, and all of his children are now dead. So it's likely that his grandchildren and great-grandchildren are in charge of the estate. However, the people of the estate did not create the works in the first place, so why should they be entitled to it?

That's why I think it should be in the public domain following the artist's death with a maximum of 50 years of waiting period. That's how it was done before, but they changed that.

Perhaps, although I should mention that the author died in 1930, and all of his children are now dead. So it's likely that his grandchildren and great-grandchildren are in charge of the estate. However, the people of the estate did not create the works in the first place, so why should they be entitled to it?

That's why I think it should be in the public domain following the artist's death with a maximum of 50 years of waiting period. That's how it was done before, but they changed that.

Agreed.

Did you ever watch "Young Sherlock Holmes", directed by Barry Levinson and written by Chris Columbus?
I have that on DVD. Good movie.

Ever see Without A Clue with Michael Caine?

Saw the latest episode of the BBC modern day Sherlock. It was based on The Hound of Baskerville story. As usual it was brilliant stuff. The writers are very good at putting a modern twist on the classic Sherlock Holmes stories.
sherlcok_2102255b.jpg

Saw the latest episode of the BBC modern day Sherlock. It was based on The Hound of Baskerville story. As usual it was brilliant stuff. The writers are very good at putting a modern twist on the classic Sherlock Holmes stories.

Both producers(and perhaps writers) are fans of the original. One thing that struck me was one of the producers said he would not focus on the mannerism so much as the story line. Perhaps it's just me and what I get out of the show, but I think the mannerisms are dead on. IMO, too many remakes muddle the Holmes character. For example, the new Holmes played by Robert Downy Jr. (a great actor) makes me cringe when I see Holmes acting like a little kid or a babbling love struck idiot. What I like about the character is that his is always unshakably focused, my impression at least. True, a woman can shake any man, but Holmes probably wouldn't show it.

Anybody heard of this take on Sherlock Holmes:
The Beekeeper Apprentice by Laurie R. King

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Beekeepers-Apprentice-Laurie-R-King/dp/0553571656]The Beekeeper's Apprentice: Amazon.ca: Laurie R. King: Books[/ame]

Fuzzy

sherlcok_2102255b.jpg

Watched three episodes on Netflix last night. Pretty good, I'd say.

sherlcok_2102255b.jpg

The Hound hasn't come out in the U.S. yet! You are able to see it in UK. I wonder if it is on the net.

YAY! I love to read Sherlock Holmes and also watch the BBC series, but I doesn't watch the 1980's one yet. :hmm: I also have watched "The Hound of the Baskervilles" with Richard Roxburgh and Ian Hart(The film was made in 2002) and Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr., but I want to watch the older films... Do you guys know any older films??

I was in love with Sherlock Holmes when I first read the books as a kid! I've always enjoyed watching the tv/movie renditions, but I think this new BBC one keeps true to the spirit of the character the way some of the others fail to.

Oh, and those real blogs are great!

YAY! I love to read Sherlock Holmes and also watch the BBC series, but I doesn't watch the 1980's one yet. :hmm: I also have watched "The Hound of the Baskervilles" with Richard Roxburgh and Ian Hart(The film was made in 2002) and Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr., but I want to watch the older films... Do you guys know any older films??

These 1930's films were not bad and I watched the growing up:

Basil Rathbone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, Rathbone did play the character very close to forum, but I believe Cumberbatch is better.

what is annoying is the fact not all DVDs are CC or subtitled. I have several Rathbone as Sherlock DVDs none are subtitled or CC. Even old Tarzan with Johnny W. DVDs are not CC. I really enjoy old movies. Very dissappointing that there are still so few subtitles. Like I have a total addiction to sci-fi/horror movies of the 50's. Only the most famous get captioned.

what is annoying is the fact not all DVDs are CC or subtitled. I have several Rathbone as Sherlock DVDs none are subtitled or CC. Even old Tarzan with Johnny W. DVDs are not CC. I really enjoy old movies. Very dissappointing that there are still so few subtitles. Like I have a total addiction to sci-fi/horror movies of the 50's. Only the most famous get captioned.

I agree that it's disgraceful that in the process of putting old films onto DVD, that they can't be bothered to CC/subtitle them. I cannot believe it's not illegal under some disability discrimination law. Nevermind the fact that old films are more likely to be watched by older people, who are more likely to have hearing loss, and in turn who would appreciate seeing subtitles. I refuse to buy DVDs now if they aren't subtitled.

Dude, not saying you are wrong, but look into an updated copy.

only "The Hounds of Baskersville" and "Pusuit to Algiers" are cc /subtitles. that is 2 out of 14. It would be nice if there was the complete collection, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherlock-Holmes-Collection/dp/B000EXZFRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330287193&sr=8-1"](like this one)[/ame] were availible with cc/subtitles.

well two is better than zero :ugh:

only "The Hounds of Baskersville" and "Pusuit to Algiers" are cc /subtitles. that is 2 out of 14. It would be nice if there was the complete collection, (like this one) were availible with cc/subtitles.

well two is better than zero :ugh:

If you have a non-subtitled DVD, try to run it with Video Lan on a computer. I think you can use an open subtitle file against it, if one exists for those dvds. I'm pretty sure that would solve the problem like it does in Boxee.

I am looking forward to checking this series out. Looks really cool.

Back