Deaf Children in VA

CrozetMom

Reaction score
Hi all! I am so happy to find this forum for discussing all things Deaf. I am the mother of one precious boy who is Deaf (and 3 hard of listening children). I am looking to make contact with any one that has a Deaf child in Virginia that may need behavioral support in the classroom or has an ED Classification in addition to being Deaf. I would like to know how your child is being educated and how its working for you. Looking forward to reading and meeting all the lovely people here!

Hello CrozetMom, welcome to alldeaf.com :)

I used to live in Virginia Beach, Virginia when I was 13 years and I moved to Elizabeth City, NC when I was 16 years old.

Why don't you check it out Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind at Staunton, I used to be a student there. It was a good school, they have baskteball, flag football etc that your son can play with many deaf students out there. They have about 60 percents deaf teacher, staff, coach go on. It was a good communicate for the deaf people. I remember I went to mainstream school in Va Beach.. it did not work it out very well due to no communication that cause me very emotion with that then my mom decided to try it out and let me go to Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind at Staunton and I was becoming happy BOY that makes my mom more happy.

I know there are some mainstream do good program for the deaf children but most of deaf children does not want to be lovely around at mainstream school.

I hope you enjoy this website :) again, I hope he/she doing good :)

Hi all! I am so happy to find this forum for discussing all things Deaf. I am the mother of one precious boy who is Deaf (and 3 hard of listening children). I am looking to make contact with any one that has a Deaf child in Virginia that may need behavioral support in the classroom or has an ED Classification in addition to being Deaf. I would like to know how your child is being educated and how its working for you. Looking forward to reading and meeting all the lovely people here!

It depends on their communication to determine what school is the best. Is he using sign language? If not, I strongly suggest if you all sign if all his siblings are Hard of hearing (unless you mean something else). It just make life easier between them as siblings and they can give each other support.

Virginia school for the deaf and blind is a great school. It has a long history and my grandma's sisters went there back in the 1930's or so.

Oh, sorry - the hard of listening comment was meant to be sarcastic. His siblings are hearing they just sometimes don't listen to me! VSDB is not able or willing to work with children that have emotional challenges and special needs unfortunately. He has been there for 4 years and they are discharging him b/c they say they "can't support him" any more. Unfortunately because he does use ASL for his communication we are working hard to find a placement for him. That's why I was hoping to hear from parents of children who have the same needs and how they are being served in state.

Is he autistic? I can ask my husband's cousin whose son have autism. She is sending him to a great school that is helping him alot in VA beach.

Is he autistic? I can ask my husband's cousin whose son have autism. She is sending him to a great school that is helping him alot in VA beach.

No, he isn't autistic. He doesn't even have an ED Classification but he does have some difficulty with attention and can become agressive. We adopted him when he was 3 and we believe he may be having some post traumatic stress and anxiety. He spends a lot of time out of the classroom for "making faces" that upset his classmates :hmm:

ok, well, it sounds like he need a psychologist that specialize deaf people to help him, and perhap she can recommend a good school for him.

He doesn't even have an ED Classification but he does have some difficulty with attention and can become agressive. We adopted him when he was 3 and we believe he may be having some post traumatic stress and anxiety. He spends a lot of time out of the classroom for "making faces" that upset his classmates
That's really weird that Staunton isn't helping with BD issues. I thought that the Deaf Schools were decent at educating kids with multiple challenges.
Maybe you might get better services if you got him a formal classification, and got him into therapy to deal with his issues. I think (although not 100% sure) that there ARE dhh formal programs in Virginia.
Are you a member of the American Society for Deaf Children? They have a listserv that you could post your question on (and I think there are a few VSDB staff members on there too)

Hi CrozetMom -- can't advise on your issue at hand, unfortunately, but wanted to send down a special hello, having lived (and studied) in Charlottesville for many years and even married myself a townie. We too-infrequently get down to visit the grandparents in Ch'ville and fantasize about what educational options we'd have for our little one if we were ever lucky enough to find our way back down there -- with Crozet being way up on the list of where to live. My little 4YO is adopted (from China) and deaf, as well!

"hard of listening children"! :)

A it doesn't sound like this case is that severe. But it's good to post resources about that, since we may have some lurkers looking for resources. Do you know if the first link you posted, would be a good placement for a kid with mild intellectucal disabilty?
Sadly, a lot of dhh kids may have severe emotional problems that nessesstate them being placed in behavorial treatment. There are some schools within Deaf Schools (Walden School through TLC) Austine and so on, which specialize in treating significent dhh kids with significent emotional/behavoiral problems.

I read one of the link for deaf kids with ADHD and that's usually mild.

I read one of the link for deaf kids with ADHD and that's usually mild.
Oh, I was talking more about significent mild intellectucal disablity with significent behavorial problems. (not FAS or FAE) The mom knows about National Deaf Academy. But I was wondering if there might be other resources for her.

Back