IPRelay -- Sorenson vs. Purple?

Jenn3678

Reaction score
Due to my speech and auditory processing disorder, I'm looking at signing up for an IP relay service. I would've done so years ago had I realized they were available, actually. I've been going back and forth, researching what others have said and think I've settled on one of the above companies. I'd love to know what people here think of them, or if anyone prefers a different provider. Not all VRS companies offer IP relay, I've noticed.

Thanks for the help!

Does it matter? try them all and settle on one that fits you the best. :wave:

I personally hate the question who is best or better as this just invites bashing. Just apply for both. Its just like going to the dealerships like ford and chevy and test drive both cars. Things has a way of even out to the point where its nearly the same but the features is what attracts the new owner. one car fits one person better but someone else may hate it and prefer the other brand just like VRS and TRS.

Well.. I dont care what you hate. all I care is how hearing oppressed deaf people that big thing for us to realized.

im use purple relay thru by my old school and im still using lots

Since Sorenson no longer provides IP relay service, is anyone using Purple IP Relay? I've switched to sprint, but I don't like the TTY protocol. I'd rather use a messenger instead of the sprint website.

Can anyone give me a review?

Since Sorenson no longer provides IP relay service, is anyone using Purple IP Relay? I've switched to sprint, but I don't like the TTY protocol. I'd rather use a messenger instead of the sprint website.

Can anyone give me a review?

How about ConvoIM on AIM? That's still available.

And Purple's on AIM, too. :)

Purple is on AIM as well as through the website- I've used both ways. Not that hard although the recent registering was a headache and a half..

I previously had a number when I lived in another state- but apparently if you do not use it for a certain amount of time (6 months to a year - not sure), it gets deactivated and you have to re register for a new number. The new registration process for Purple is.. well odd.. The usual name and address part I get that but then it asks for your DOB and your SSN (I think the last 4 digits only I don't remember). WTH? Another friend of mine posted a long rant about that on FB and I gotta agree.. why in the hell do they need my DOB and SSN? There's no logical reason for it at all.

But stupidly I went ahead and did it. Using the IP Relay is pretty easy for the most part. My last conversation was a little... slow- I think because the hearing person was going slow- the "go-between" was typing one to three words per LINE...:confused:.

I've tried others- Hamilton (??) and AT&T but Purple is good because you can use it on AIM easily.

Still looking at VRS- was hoping to visit a friend (a five hour drive..) to see her set up but don't think I will go this week- snow up there...

Purple is on AIM as well as through the website- I've used both ways. Not that hard although the recent registering was a headache and a half..

I previously had a number when I lived in another state- but apparently if you do not use it for a certain amount of time (6 months to a year - not sure), it gets deactivated and you have to re register for a new number. The new registration process for Purple is.. well odd.. The usual name and address part I get that but then it asks for your DOB and your SSN (I think the last 4 digits only I don't remember). WTH? Another friend of mine posted a long rant about that on FB and I gotta agree.. why in the hell do they need my DOB and SSN? There's no logical reason for it at all.

But stupidly I went ahead and did it. Using the IP Relay is pretty easy for the most part. My last conversation was a little... slow- I think because the hearing person was going slow- the "go-between" was typing one to three words per LINE...:confused:.

I've tried others- Hamilton (??) and AT&T but Purple is good because you can use it on AIM easily.

Still looking at VRS- was hoping to visit a friend (a five hour drive..) to see her set up but don't think I will go this week- snow up there...

I had Hamilton Relay before they shut down a couple of years ago. I also used to have Sorenson VRS on AIM until THAT shut down last year. Now, I recently created a Purple IP relay account on-line on my laptop, to be used in an emergency. I'll still need to keep it active, though. I haven't yet tested out Convo IM on AIM, mainly because I've not had the need to. Last night, I ran into a major problem with my ntouch PC, and I had to call Sorenson Tech Support, who helped me solve the problem BIG TIME, and had I not gotten that cute little tablet last weekend, I would've been screwed. Now that it's operational again, I'll need to treat my laptop more carefully this time, because they put in a BUNCH of software to get it working. The total time to resolve the issue was just under 3 hours. Unusually long, yes, but the 135-bit piece of software they downloaded onto this laptop took a while to get all onto here, and it was actually more than 135 bits-- more like 300 something.

For sprint, you just have to give a valid utility bill. In my opinion, the number should be bound to an address just like a land line. The reason is the FCC wants you only to have one number. I think you can always port forward. I would still use my Sorenson, but there is a chance that will eventually go away.

I agree with the address needing to be connected to the phone number, just the other stuff was ..."WTF?". I know for Sorenson you can port forward your Purple number; learned that while I'm investigating VRS stuff lol.

Please help!

I'm trying to find an IP Relay service to use so that I'm not dependent on people making phone calls for me anymore. I need to call an RV shop in the morning so that I drive there to pick up a part for my Thetford TOILET, because I can't use water in my travel trailer, which is MY HOME out in the country by the farm. Without it working correctly, I can't shower, I can't potty inside, I can't even cook inside without access to clean water. However, just about everybody shut down IP-Relay, and I cannot get Purple's IP registration to work at all. Damn thing thinks I have an address that doesn't exist. Help, as I have to drive as far away as 100 miles just to pick up a complete water valve system for the toilet, and there's more than 10 versions available, and I must get the right one.

Whatever you find to use for the call be sure to take the old part with you! Seeing it they will have a better idea of what you are looking for even though the phone call will narrow it down.

GOOD LUCK

Having trouble finding a good IP-relay? Wish you LOTS of LOTS of luck, Sorenson is officially got out of SIPRelay business.

You see your own frustration already, hey VRS users, his frustration MAY follow us when it comes to completing VRS reform by 2017. Will we be able to experience several VRS provider and choose whatever that meets our needs? Just don't forget what happened with IP relay providers already, it CAN happen with VRS if too many Deafies decided to stay in bed.

Biker, keep the sarcasm down. I'm in REAL NEED for finding the part I need. I would have to travel 200+ miles roundtrip to find a needed part that allows me to bathe, cook, and keep myself clean, especially since I'm dealing with a foot problem, and now I can't keep them clean. This is a health emergency. Please understand that.

It sounds like I no longer have the capability of calling anyone in the US anymore. Is that what you're saying?

I am not being sarcasm, this is serious. After reading the June, 11 2013 announcement of relay forum.. This is not limited to just VRS, it applies to IP relay.

What I am saying is that we need to start wake up before it gets too late, there are ALREADY too many IP-Relay business gone out of business and there are very few left right now. IPRelay is really part of Relay reform that FCC has announced. In other word if BOTH of bunch of IPrelay users and VRS relay users united together and march and being straightforward with FCC that we can not afford the reform, and the reform is deteriorating our civil rights with accessible functionality equivalent.

Finally bashing at Sorenson is NOT going to help, blame on Sorenson for their fault for Bankruptcy is not going to help.

I am speaking basis on "R E L A Y S E R V I C E", I don't care what kind of relay service. IT is that the reform itself that is technically killing relay industry.

Don't believe me? Then go back to bed, and when you wake up realized what is happening, I may not be around here to say "I told you so!"

Biker, keep the sarcasm down. I'm in REAL NEED for finding the part I need. I would have to travel 200+ miles roundtrip to find a needed part that allows me to bathe, cook, and keep myself clean, especially since I'm dealing with a foot problem, and now I can't keep them clean. This is a health emergency. Please understand that.

It sounds like I no longer have the capability of calling anyone in the US anymore. Is that what you're saying?

Damn it, Biker... I was not asking for a long-horizon lesson. I NEED HELP REACHING 8 BUSINESSES WHO ARE AS MUCH AS 160 MILES APART FOR A NEEDED PART, OTHERWISE I CAN'T STAY IN MY HOME. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY OF MY NEED? HOW DO I REACH A HEARING PERSON IN THE US? That was all I was asking for...

Please...

I'm trying to find an IP Relay service to use so that I'm not dependent on people making phone calls for me anymore. I need to call an RV shop in the morning so that I drive there to pick up a part for my Thetford TOILET, because I can't use water in my travel trailer, which is MY HOME out in the country by the farm. Without it working correctly, I can't shower, I can't potty inside, I can't even cook inside without access to clean water. However, just about everybody shut down IP-Relay, and I cannot get Purple's IP registration to work at all. Damn thing thinks I have an address that doesn't exist. Help, as I have to drive as far away as 100 miles just to pick up a complete water valve system for the toilet, and there's more than 10 versions available, and I must get the right one.

Text Relay Services - Purple Communications

I am not being sarcasm, this is serious. After reading the June, 11 2013 announcement of relay forum.. This is not limited to just VRS, it applies to IP relay.

What I am saying is that we need to start wake up before it gets too late, there are ALREADY too many IP-Relay business gone out of business and there are very few left right now. IPRelay is really part of Relay reform that FCC has announced. In other word if BOTH of bunch of IPrelay users and VRS relay users united together and march and being straightforward with FCC that we can not afford the reform, and the reform is deteriorating our civil rights with accessible functionality equivalent.

Finally bashing at Sorenson is NOT going to help, blame on Sorenson for their fault for Bankruptcy is not going to help.

I am speaking basis on "R E L A Y S E R V I C E", I don't care what kind of relay service. IT is that the reform itself that is technically killing relay industry.

Don't believe me? Then go back to bed, and when you wake up realized what is happening, I may not be around here to say "I told you so!"

completely irrelevant to his question....

Back