to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you need to take your daughter and the FM system to the audiologist. It obviously shouldn't be doing that.

In my post in the technology part of all deaf I explained that I have.....they have been sent into phonak...hearing aids and fm at the same time........ I have taken them to all of my audiologist. It is just at school when this happens. at home its not the issue

In my post in the technology part of all deaf I explained that I have.....they have been sent into phonak...hearing aids and fm at the same time........ I have taken them to all of my audiologist. It is just at school when this happens. at home its not the issue

I would say check into what other electronics are on at the school. It sounds to me like interference from something else is being recognized by your equipment as a signal to turn off.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but here the school board employs an educational audiologist who should take care of this stuff. Get in touch with them and get it fixed!

"In theory" they should hear both. But at my son's school, the mic doesn't get passed around to the students because they misbehave with it. But of course, no one told me this until I asked directly. And no one was doing anything to fix the situation. Frustrating!

No one touches my daughters equipment but her home teacher, DHH teacher and the school audiologist I made that clear in her IEP. The three audiologist we have are the school one, my dispencer where we get molds, batteries, minor fixes, if tubes needs to be replaced, filters for the aids and stuff for the dryer kit, also that is where I go to send the hearing aids into phoank if I have a problem. Then we have the ENT ear,nose throat clinic where we do hearing tests adjustments if needed and just check ups.

we dont know what the deal is Like i said I posted my concerns in the Alldeaf part "technology" and is hoping for some feedback. Her transmitter is brand new we get a new one every 3 years and it gets sent into phonak before every school year and after each school year. along with the visits from the school audiologist which is once a week. Its not the aids its the transmitter something not connecting or if it gets shut off when she goes to another room and gets tunred back on maybe then......but when it works its great! My daughter cant tell when the one shuts off cause its her bad ear ...but if the other one does she says something to a teacher that is her good ear and relys on it alot. I cant tell you how many times I sent it in or complained. they are great aids when she doesnt have the FM. I think its programming issue connection problems.....I dont know but I made a piont of it last week at her meeting. Before when she had boots for her aids never an issue but she was due for new aids and I stick with phonak. Since the new ones we had a issue. somedays she comes home and they are both on and working! other days one is off. open and close the battery door and its fine. Her DHH see's her at 1:00 and checks them sometimes they are fine other times its off battery is brand new too.....

I would say check into what other electronics are on at the school. It sounds to me like interference from something else is being recognized by your equipment as a signal to turn off.

like what? tell me what you mean?? example of some kind ?

wireless device for hearing aids, you mean? If so, no. she is the one of two kids that are deaf in her school. The other has implants and uses ASL no english so he has an interpreter.

The frequencies waves can be going through the air. I've heard of stories that some deaf students from my HS were able to hear the police station from down the street on their FM because they used the same freq as the school was using for their FM system. Same with the PDA and security system at the school, the students with FM boots were able to hear what was being said.

With advancement technology of t-coil, loops, cell phone assistance, ect, many things can be interfering.

Of course the school solved the issue by setting up a Freq chart, labeling freq to their use, and each single FM system in the school has their own Freq channel that no one else in the school uses.

-----------
I want to say that I do understand the benefits for FM in schools. It gives a very clear, easy-to-listen voice to the student. Nothing else to say about that.

But just having it for home use or as someone said in this thread "able to talk in the car easy", is pretty wrong imo. Its like saying, "son, you can't hear shit, so I'm gonna hook you up with a FM and I'm gonna have a mic on me all times." That's pretty sad and kinda hurts the kid. Why it hurts the kid? Because then the kid will feel like he doesn't fit in right, he will feel like because of his deafness, he failed you as a son. He's going to wish he was hearing so he doesn't have a crap load of technology helping him out to "fit in". This is where the benefits of ASL comes in. But thats a whole different topic.

Many kids at the end of the day love to just take their hearing aids, implants out because its so tiring to listen all day, usually when they're alone. They feel (even me) that if they have their implant's off when the parent is around, there are communication barriers, and stress.

Idk, I just feel like putting a FM on a kid 24/7 is plain dumb. It will make him less confident in real world situations, will make him more tired, will make him feel like he needs a lot of technology to have the need of feeling, "fitting in".

wireless device for hearing aids, you mean? If so, no. she is the one of two kids that are deaf in her school. The other has implants and uses ASL no english so he has an interpreter.

NO any device that uses a remote control. I have no idea what else is there off hand I can think of TV's, VCR's etc. I think you now can get the general idea. There are probably other electronics around that neither of us can think of.

NO any device that uses a remote control. I have no idea what else is there off hand I can think of TV's, VCR's etc. I think you now can get the general idea. There are probably other electronics around that neither of us can think of.

In my daughter's classes there are smartboards, televisions and bluray systems, even Wii systems set up to broadcast interactive math games. There might be another sound system competing, increasingly elementary schools have Soundfield systems in place regardless of whether or not there's a child with any degree of hearing loss in the room.

Good ideas. And, projectors too. Those are used a lot.

Suzanne, do you live in a large or small city? Just wondering if the school is right next to anything that would pick up a frequency outside the school.

Also, did you once mention you are from MN? I cannot recall for sure if that is you or if I am thinking of someone else. If you are indeed from MN, are you near the vicinity of either MSAD (Faribault) or MSD (St. Paul - Roseville) ? Both are good schools. MSD is a charter school that is fully d/Deaf but not a dorm.

Suzanne, do you live in a large or small city? Just wondering if the school is right next to anything that would pick up a frequency outside the school.

Also, did you once mention you are from MN? I cannot recall for sure if that is you or if I am thinking of someone else. If you are indeed from MN, are you near the vicinity of either MSAD (Faribault) or MSD (St. Paul - Roseville) ? Both are good schools. MSD is a charter school that is fully d/Deaf but not a dorm.

yes I am from minnesota.....we are hours away from all those schools ....we have talked about moving but we would have to foreclose the house .....find a job for the husband and an apartment. we are starting skype sessions for my son monday thru northern voices. we wil see how that goes. we live in a town of about 10,000 people so not real big ....we live in town by the school..

How strange that it only happens at school. It's one thing for the FM mic part to not work, but for it to completely shut off her HA without the battery being dead is weird.

Glad it's getting worked out :)

How strange that it only happens at school. It's one thing for the FM mic part to not work, but for it to completely shut off her HA without the battery being dead is weird.

Glad it's getting worked out :)

The bold & italic is why I think it is interference from something that she gets around just at school.

The frequencies waves can be going through the air. I've heard of stories that some deaf students from my HS were able to hear the police station from down the street on their FM because they used the same freq as the school was using for their FM system. Same with the PDA and security system at the school, the students with FM boots were able to hear what was being said.

With advancement technology of t-coil, loops, cell phone assistance, ect, many things can be interfering.

Of course the school solved the issue by setting up a Freq chart, labeling freq to their use, and each single FM system in the school has their own Freq channel that no one else in the school uses.

-----------
I want to say that I do understand the benefits for FM in schools. It gives a very clear, easy-to-listen voice to the student. Nothing else to say about that.

But just having it for home use or as someone said in this thread "able to talk in the car easy", is pretty wrong imo. Its like saying, "son, you can't hear shit, so I'm gonna hook you up with a FM and I'm gonna have a mic on me all times." That's pretty sad and kinda hurts the kid. Why it hurts the kid? Because then the kid will feel like he doesn't fit in right, he will feel like because of his deafness, he failed you as a son. He's going to wish he was hearing so he doesn't have a crap load of technology helping him out to "fit in". This is where the benefits of ASL comes in. But thats a whole different topic.

Many kids at the end of the day love to just take their hearing aids, implants out because its so tiring to listen all day, usually when they're alone. They feel (even me) that if they have their implant's off when the parent is around, there are communication barriers, and stress.

Idk, I just feel like putting a FM on a kid 24/7 is plain dumb. It will make him less confident in real world situations, will make him more tired, will make him feel like he needs a lot of technology to have the need of feeling, "fitting in".

well my friend has a daughter with similar loss and they use the FM for many things their daughter lives for the outdoors so for bike rides, horse back riding, sporting activites that are not through the school so whatever coach or instructor wears it. Also at church and church choir she hears the words for the music better. when she goes out with her friends to a resturant she uses it cause not all know sign....and yes car rides she does her mom who is deaf herself says you cant sign and drive at the same time. Also for music and Tv uses. And my daughter does take out her aids towards the end of the night. on weekends they dont go in till she wants them....but during school they go in when the bus comes....communication barrier.....not for us we sign. we sign when she has her aids in.. even for us hearing parents signing is just easier ...for those hearing parents that dont sign do yourself and your kid/kids a favor..learn ASL. but that is for another thread ! thank you to all for your responses i will run this by the audiologist. great advice!

yes I am from minnesota.....we are hours away from all those schools ....we have talked about moving but we would have to foreclose the house .....find a job for the husband and an apartment. we are starting skype sessions for my son monday thru northern voices. we wil see how that goes. we live in a town of about 10,000 people so not real big ....we live in town by the school..

Suzanne. What about regional dhh programs? Are there any near you? I thought Minn was one of those states that had a pretty decent continuum of placement offerings.

In my daughter's classes there are smartboards, televisions and bluray systems, even Wii systems set up to broadcast interactive math games. There might be another sound system competing, increasingly elementary schools have Soundfield systems in place regardless of whether or not there's a child with any degree of hearing loss in the room.

I remember a few years ago reading an article in the NY Times magazine about Soundfield being used in hearing classrooms...if that trend becomes mainstream, then hopefully FM will become obsolete.

I remember a few years ago reading an article in the NY Times magazine about Soundfield being used in hearing classrooms...if that trend becomes mainstream, then hopefully FM will become obsolete.

What is 'Soundfield'?

Suzanne! I just remembered something similar would happen to me at school and it would shut off my aids too and I remember sending them in and trying to figure out what it was and it was the Library detector things for taking out books so when you passed if you hadn't signed out a book or laptop etc it would go off like a metal detector and everytime I went through it, it would shut off my ha's or sometimes just one OR switch the programs. This has also happened at walmart randomly once and my FM has picked up other things it shouldn't like convos that was definitely not my teacher. So, it's probable something in the classroom or a room that she frequents at school that is causing the problem.
Hope that helps a bit:)

-----------

Excellent, excellent point! Technology is good and all, but at home usage of an FM just seems to imply that a kid should be trained to rely exclusively on technology, and that they cannot function without it. it's awesome to be unplugged and not have to deal with mics, or other hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back