56-year-old man gets life for stealing $900 of cigarettes

rockin'robin

Reaction score
SUMTER, S.C. (AP) - A 56-year-old man has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of stealing $900 worth of cigarettes while acting as his own attorney.
Solicitor Ernest "Chip" Finney III told The Sumter Item (http://bit.ly/1HDeeif ) that David Duren Jr. fell under South Carolina's three-strikes law, which allows a life sentence when someone is convicted of three serious crimes.
Duren was found guilty of second-degree burglary last week. He had been assigned two public defenders.
Finney says his prosecutors offered Duren a plea deal that would have sentenced him to no more than 15 years behind bars, but he rejected it.
Authorities say Duren broke in a store through the back wall in June 2011. He was linked to the crime through DNA from blood found on a freezer.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/29145083/56-year-old-man-gets-life-for-stealing-900-of-cigarettes

Life for stealing smokes......
(Shakes head)
Ive known.rapist who got 2 and 4
Mmm

Life for stealing smokes......
(Shakes head)
Ive known.rapist who got 2 and 4
Mmm

Not quite, it was his third serious crime, and his second, he committed a felony, only a week prior. Not listening to his public defender was a mistake. As the saying goes, any man that would act as his own attorney has a fool for a client.

Laura

I believe it was Clinton that suggested "3 strikes and you're out" in a state of union address and lawmakers made this a new law.

California has the same type of legal system. People there are currently serving life sentences for selling weed.

Not quite, it was his third serious crime, and his second, he committed a felony, only a week prior. Not listening to his public defender was a mistake. As the saying goes, any man that would act as his own attorney has a fool for a client.

Laura

Sure, i get it.
but life?
for steakin smokes...
Nuts...

I see Hoichi's point, really stealing 900 dollars merchandise regardless of what shyt is in it does not qualify as felony offense. If he steals 100 dollars more than he did, then it becomes felony.

So I think 3 strikes only applies on felony charges not misdemeanors.

In other word I see it as poorly written law... sad!

Last edited:

Laura
He also turned down a 15-year plea deal.

Maybe he can apply for an appeal based on his inadequate defense.

A little bit more:

Solicitor Ernest "Chip" Finney III . . . said his office doesn't often seek life under the three-strikes law, but it was appropriate in this case.

"There was the right set of circumstances to pursue that avenue. Mr. Duren has been in the system over and over again. He has shown no rehabilitation from any of his prior offenses served," Finney said.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime...man-gets-life-for-stealing-900-of-6284120.php

. . . [he] had five prior burglary charges, an arson charge and a rap sheet that stretched from 1983 to 2013….

http://www.theitem.com/stories/man-sentenced-to-life-had-30-year-rap-sheet-rejected-bargain,247458

I see Hoichi's point, really stealing 900 dollars merchandise regardless of what shyt is in it does not qualify as felony offense. If he steals 100 dollars more than he did, then it becomes felony.

So I think 3 strikes only applies on felony charges not misdemeanors.

In other word I see it as poorly written law... sad!

Yes, felony theft applies that over $1,000 of value.

I don't agree about this man got life sentence for theft, that's extremely excessive.

The prison system is overcrowding and that's very sad.

Now taxpayers will pay $25k a year to keep the guy in jail for a $900 theft that didn't threaten anyone's life and had no violence against anyone. Wonder why we are the most incarcerated nation in the world. How about 900 hours of picking up trash on the roadways.

dreadful give life sentence for this..just punish him for being twat a fine equal to tax he no paid

dreadful give life sentence for this..just punish him for being twat a fine equal to tax he no paid

Feel this guy ain't got a dime...hence stealing ciggies. More than likely, he was selling them and making a good profit to boot....he's a thief and an arsonist....someone I wouldn't want around me or someone I wouldn't want to anger!

Feel this guy ain't got a dime...hence stealing ciggies. More than likely, he was selling them and making a good profit to boot....he's a thief and an arsonist....someone I wouldn't want around me or someone I wouldn't want to anger!

So wait a minute.....
he doesnt have a dime, and is making good money?
I see
Well now society will for the rest of his days pay room and board,
If that makes sene to you
Cool....

So wait a minute.....
he doesnt have a dime, and is making good money?
I see
Well now society will for the rest of his days pay room and board,
If that makes sene to you
Cool....

[he] had five prior burglary charges, an arson charge and a rap sheet that stretched from 1983 to 2013….

http://www.theitem.com/stories/man-s...bargain,247458

Making good $$ from 5 "prior" burglary charges....:hmm:....and ciggies cost over $70 a carton...he stole $900 worth....let's say he sells a cigarette for .50 cents and there are 20 cigarettes in a pack.....good $$ there too...most likely he don't work....wheels and deals...robs for a living....cost $$ to live, you know!...So if he had the $$ he could pay the "fine"....which he didn't....I'd rather him locked up and stealing from the other cons than from me or my neighborhood....he's a habitual offender.

[he] had five prior burglary charges, an arson charge and a rap sheet that stretched from 1983 to 2013….

Making good $$ from 5 "prior" burglary charges....:hmm:....and ciggies cost over $70 a carton...he stole $900 worth....let's say he sells a cigarette for .50 cents and there are 20 cigarettes in a pack.....good $$ there too...most likely he don't work....wheels and deals...robs for a living....cost $$ to live, you know!...So if he had the $$ he could pay the "fine"....which he didn't....I'd rather him locked up and stealing from the other cons than from me or my neighborhood....he's a habitual offender.

Your just signing through your ass..
it costs over 400$ a day to keep someone locked up....
Guess you think its worth it over 900 of smokes
Yet
Rapists and othe violent crinnals routinely get far less..
If it makes sense to you
Cool

Your just signing through your ass..
it costs over 400$ a day to keep someone locked up....
Guess you think its worth it over 900 of smokes
Yet
Rapists and othe violent crinnals routinely get far less..
If it makes sense to you
Cool

An Habitia ffender...at 56, don't see a chance in hell for him to change...hence 3 strikes and ur out...Taking the chance that he did when he went to Court?....his own fault....A Rap Sheet for over 20 years?....And an Arsonist?.....Exactly WHERE do we draw the Line?
A smack on the hand and say..."Well, he's just a good ol' boy"....He's not, he's a Criminal...and would repeat and repeat if he had the chance...
The City of Sumter, SC can rest a little better now...knowing he can't burn down any businesses or homes...or do any more Burglary runs....
As for other people getting less time?...Im not the Law...were they an Habital Offender?
So put that in ur Pipe and smoke it!....Not my fault...it all falls on HIM...

An Habitia ffender...at 56, don't see a chance in hell for him to change...hence 3 strikes and ur out...Taking the chance that he did when he went to Court?....his own fault....A Rap Sheet for over 20 years?....And an Arsonist?.....Exactly WHERE do we draw the Line?
A smack on the hand and say..."Well, he's just a good ol' boy"....He's not, he's a Criminal...and would repeat and repeat if he had the chance...
The City of Sumter, SC can rest a little better now...knowing he can't burn down any businesses or homes...or do any more Burglary runs....
As for other people getting less time?...Im not the Law...were they an Habital Offender?
So put that in ur Pipe and smoke it!....Not my fault...it all falls on HIM...

Snore.....
Three strikes your out catchy, what is justice to you a baseball game?
He did his bit for the other crimes.
Life for stealing smokes is an outrage really
Considering the system routinely lets violent dudes walk,,for rape so on
no wonder your nation.has the most people locked uo, prisons need to make money, lock up is big bussiness.
You justify injustice by catchy sports terms, lock up for life those who steal smokes and let walk with 2 years or 4 rapists. Fairness is a faculty of justice..
Well
It was,,,,
Guess
Sports sound bites is the norm now..
(Shakes head),

Snore.....
Three strikes your out catchy, what is justice to you a baseball game?
He did his bit for the other crimes.
Life for stealing smokes is an outrage really
Considering the system routinely lets violent dudes walk,,for rape so on
no wonder your nation.has the most people locked uo, prisons need to make money, lock up is big bussiness.
You justify injustice by catchy sports terms, lock up for life those who steal smokes and let walk with 2 years or 4 rapists. Fairness is a faculty of justice..
Well
It was,,,,
Guess
Sports sound bites is the norm now..
(Shakes head),

You know yourself...he didn't get Life for stealing cigarettes!...and you're a ex-con...and know the ins & outs of the system....and know what a Habital Offender is....So your dramatics are nothing to me, Hoichi.

Back