10 Fruits & Vegetables That Dogs Absolutely Love!

rockin'robin

Reaction score
#1 – Apples (minus the core)
An apple a day keeps the veterinarian away? This may be true, apples contain antioxidants that help boost immunity. Plus they’re sweet… dogs love the sweet. Just be sure to throw out the core since apple seeds can be harmful to dogs.

#2 – Spinach
Not only is spinach high in iron, but it is also contains calcium for bone health. Spinach also contains anti-inflammatory/anti-cancer properties by way of flavonoids and carotenoids.

#3 – Pumpkin
Baked fresh or canned, dogs lick their chops when this tasty treat comes in their direction. Pumpkin is also the go to aid for problematic digestion. It works for constipation AND diarrhea.

#4 – Green Beans
Added fiber and crunchiness, green beans also offer a plethora of vitamin nutrition. They also are a low calorie filler for dogs who like to eat between meals, but are watching their figure.

#5 – Watermelon
Chock full of the antioxidant lycopene, watermelons are mild enough for most dogs to eat. In addition to the nutrient packed goodness, the juiciness is enough to add a little extra hydration on a hot day.

#6 – Cantaloupe
These yummy treats are mild, easy to digest for most dogs and pack a vitamin punch. Full of beta carotene, studies have shown that beta carotene may reduce and prevent the growth of cataracts.

#7 – Carrots
Not only are carrots a filling treat for overweight dogs on a “diet” but they also are good for oral hygiene. Carrots naturally clean and polish teeth. Have a chewer at home? Toss them a carrot to keep them from eating a favorite pair of shoes.

#8 – Blueberries
Given as an occasional rare treat, these little blue balls of antioxidants have been popping up in commercial dog foods in the past few years. Blueberries provide the same health benefits for both dogs and owners.

#9 – Pears
This heart healthy treat is high in dietary fiber. Pears are sweet, juicy and most dogs enjoy the taste and texture.

#10 – Sweet Potato
These holiday favorites should been treats all year round. Sweet potatoes contain high amounts of amino acids, which are good for strong lean muscles and enhances antioxidant properties.

http://iheartdogs.com/10-fruits-or-vegetables-that-dogs-absolutely-love/10/

I gave Marty a blueberry the other day and he spit it out. LOL! He does love yams , apple carrot and red pepper. I read the veggie should be small in very pieces otherwise the dog will just poop it out.

If you want to give these as a treat - that's fun and dogs love many of these!
But if you want the dog to actually make use of it in the body, vegetable/fruit needs to be crushed, blended or pureed because dogs are carnivores and don't easily have the digestive ability like people do, to biologically make the most use of plant matter. So you have to get the cellulose walls of the material broken down for the carnivore's body to actually use it - whatdidyousay kind of alluded to that because yes - many times the pieces just come out the way they went in, if the fruit or veggie isn't processed/mushy in some way.

also - dogs who have cancer or diabetes should reduce or eliminate starchy/sugary fruits and veggies - like sweet potato. In the pet carnivore's body, cancer can feed off the sugar in those types of items.
My big girl had most likely Rabies-vaccine-related cancer a couple of years ago and now I try to avoid potatoes with her <white and sweet> as well as lots of fruits.

If doing pumpkin, remember to look for pumpkin ONLY, not pumpkin pie filling.

we gave my girls some organic watermelon a few years back as a Summer treat in honor of an amazing male Rottie we knew, who loved to smash and play with watermelon. Since it was for fun/treat, we didn't puree or break it down - and had interesting poops later.

Also, blueberries don't taste like anything when they are whole. IF you broke it apart then I bet your dog would have eaten it. Mine won't touch blueberries at first if they are whole, then they are willing to bite them once they know what's inside.

I once had a pair of cockers who would go outside and eat ripe berries off the gooseberry bush. They would leave the unripe or half ripe ones.

Some dogs have preferences for certain fruits, or the way certain fruits are prepared, just like people.

At our previous home in our yard, we had a black raspberry bush that was there when we moved in. We used to go out in the Summer during the time when the berries were ripe, and pick them - eating them along the way:lol: and my dogs would stand there with us and take the berries right from the branches, same as your Cockers, Eater.

Sometimes I make Kong combos with goat's milk yogurt and fruit, and freeze them - makes a great summer treat.

Also, blueberries don't taste like anything when they are whole. IF you broke it apart then I bet your dog would have eaten it. Mine won't touch blueberries at first if they are whole, then they are willing to bite them once they know what's inside.

I once had a pair of cockers who would go outside and eat ripe berries off the gooseberry bush. They would leave the unripe or half ripe ones.

I kind of hesitates to give my dog blueberries all mush up , Marty has a habit of bringing his food onto my new rug to eat it. :roll: And his white fur will be dyed blue for awhile too. :giggle: I had feed Marty red pepper and forgot to cut it up in small pieces and he poop it out. I have been giving him grated carrot and he love that .

oh Bryan got a bit of watermelon today! I'll bet he'll eat anything! Likes apples, carrots, watermelon, pumpkin, has eaten spinach... I do still have some pears, I'll share some with him and see how he likes them.

Back