Writer's Digest Prompt: Bugs!

Crazed Hearie

Reaction score
Prompt: You wake up one morning and find yourself inside a Looney Tunes cartoon with a burning desire to hunt down a certain Bugs Bunny, no matter the cost. What happens next?

My eyes bulged, my skin crawled, my tongue drooled and my feet shook. My reality had dematerialized- transported into a cartoon heaven (where the knee high crowd cheered at the antics of a furry, long-eared rodent that had dropped a heavy ACME block on the head of a pudgy doofus with a shotgun in hand). Or was it instead a facade hiding a hellish Serling episode where everything goes astray at the end? My head was a hurricane. I was in an unreal world! An Oz where Alice fell down the rabbit hole only to reappear holding a half eaten carrot between its fingers like Groucho Marks. Bugs? That sly wabbit with a trickster's smirk and a cagey twinkle in its eye. No matter how fast it would run, I had to snatch it because my gut was now screaming for meat, rabbit chow. But that stinky vermin read my head and knew, somehow, that I was aiming to catch it and eat it barbecue style. I reached left and it flashed right. I took a step forward and it swirl behind and flicked my ear. I hid behind a tree only to watch it walked up to me (bolt) and give me two slaps per cheek before diving into his hole. I even shoved a handful of TNT sticks down its escape hatch, sparked each one, turned around and covered my ears. Bang! To my painful surprise, the smarty pants had dropped the explosive down the back of my floppy pants and left me a smoldering like a pile of coals. I turned tomato red and steam blew out both my ears. I tried everything but nothing worked. In the end I chased Bugs up and down the grassy slops to the horizon and it was all for naught. Oh, humdrum...

Critique. Thanks!

Back