Think daughter is audist...

rebeccalj

Reaction score
Kind of sad because daughter home from University so take her to favourite restaurant with boyfriend and son. Think we will have another talk about /voice and can they please start ASL so communication easier for me.

Daughter (18) say to me, "Mum, maybe if you give me your hearing test I will consider it." :shock:

So, email original audiologist and they email that files were sent to last city I live in. That they only keep files for 7 years. Contact second clinic and they only have note on file saying that the files were suppose to be transferred there but never arrive.

Feel no point going to have another test because know it will be worse than last one and audiologist say to me that he cannot understand how I coped so long without assistance. Uh, survival of the fittest idjit. :roll:

Anyone have advice on what can do? Feel like daughter complete audist and it hurt *SO*, so much that she say what she did the other night. Boyfriend was in shock that she could say that to me when very obvious to whole family know how voice has changed *SO* much in just 2 years and can hardly ennunciate words now. Especially if have busy 'speaking' day at office.

Last edited:
Kind of sad because daughter home from University so take her to favourite restaurant with boyfriend and son. Think we will have another talk about /voice and can they please start ASL so communication easier for me.

Daughter (18) say to me, "Mum, maybe if you give me your hearing test I will consider it." :shock:

So, email original audiologist and they email that files were sent to last city I live in. That they only keep files for 7 years. Contact second clinic and they only have note on file saying that the files were suppose to be transferred there but never arrive.

Feel no point going to have another test because know it will be worse than last one and audiologist say to me that he cannot understand how I coped so long without assistance. Uh, survival of the fittest idjit. :roll:

Anyone have advice on what can do? Feel like daughter complete audist and it hurt *SO*, so much that she say what she did the other night. Boyfriend was in shock that she could say that to me when very obvious to whole family how voice has changed *SO* much in just 2 years and can hardly ennunciate words now. Especially if have busy 'speaking' day at office.

Pretty hard to expect 18 year olds make adjustments for Mom, when they are away from home for weeks. She is more concerned about her image. Does not make it right. Sorry.

Anyone have advice on what can do? Feel like daughter complete audist and it hurt *SO*, so much that she say what she did the other night. Boyfriend was in shock that she could say that to me when very obvious to whole family how voice has changed *SO* much in just 2 years and can hardly ennunciate words now. Especially if have busy 'speaking' day at office.

Tell her to give you her IQ scores and you will think about whether continuing to pay for her education.:cool2:

:hug: sometimes in relatives are desperate for their loved people who are able to hear but they didnt realize that we all are really ok. i guess we made up and accept who we are and move on but they are?????

What? Your daughter actually had the nerve to ask you for your audiogram in order to even consider signing for you?

I'm sorry to say this, but your daughter needs a reality check.

I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, showing my family my audiogram was the only way that I could make them understand that I cannot hear their voices. A picture of the hearing loss in the speech zone is clear and obvious. I think that it's ignorance on their part. They had this idea that if they just turned up the volume that I would hear them.

Don't get a new audiogram. Print out a copy of the hearing loss audiogram that shows the speech zone. Estimate your hearing loss on the graph. Show that to your family. Then, maybe they will get it. Hearing people have no idea what it's like having hearing loss. When you tell them, you might as well be speaking Greek to them. It's part of educating people. I know that there are emotional issues here. Try to put that aside and make her understand. Once she understands, her attitiude will change.

I wonder how she would feel if you showed her the bill from university?

I don't think that she realizes what she is doing. It's truly a case of ignorance and miscommunication. Yea, she's young, self-absorbed and conscious of her image--that goes with the territory with a college-aged person. If you can truly communicate, I think that it will improve the relationship.

This is a case in which a neutral third party would be helpful. Maybe a doctor or therapist. Mother/daughter relationships are so close and intense by nature.

Pretty hard to expect 18 year olds make adjustments for Mom, when they are away from home for weeks. She is more concerned about her image. Does not make it right. Sorry.

Probably true but she *used* to want to learn ASL when she was 14 or so. She read body language very well. She even tell friend of mine, in text, that friend can meet man who will love her enough to learn ASL. Think to myself why is friend worthy of that kind of love but not her own Mum?

Tell her to give you her IQ scores and you will think about whether continuing to pay for her education.:cool2:

:laugh2: Wish you were there with retort. I give her credit card to help with emergency expenses and fuel for car *I* buy and pay for insurance. Her father, also deaf in one ear, do not pay for anything. University fall on me to pay for and support though she also have small student loan. Strange enough she wants to become doctor. Forensic psychology. You'd think with some classes she taking she would understand humans a little better. :roll:

:hug: sometimes in relatives are desperate for their loved people who are able to hear but they didnt realize that we all are really ok. i guess we made up and accept who we are and move on but they are?????

To me, feel like if cannot speak she *SO* sad that not hear voice she hear her whole life. I understand it is like loss to her in a way but this is second time we have argument about /voice. Son seem a little more open to idea but daughter won't even do pen/paper with me. Older daughters also very supportive. Why not this one?

What? Your daughter actually had the nerve to ask you for your audiogram in order to even consider signing for you?

Yes, she ask in front of son, boyfriend and me. I get up to go to bathroom because so upset want to cry. Feel *SO* rejected in a way. Just typing that bring tears to eyes.

Probably need to be strong and firm with them. They do not like then tough. Just hard because love them *SO* much and do not like to see them so upset.

Also my own fault because try to be 'hearie' whole life because that is what parents want me to be. I know it seem like sudden change for them but this has been coming for over 5 years now. They *see* me signing with boyfriend. They *see* me over the years signing. They *see* me using pen/paper when out shopping or getting fuel. It is not sudden but maybe they see it that way?

Sorry about the lip she gave you, rebeccalj. :hug:
When she gets older I think she will realize that she has only one mother and will regret her words to you. It's hell it doesn't happen now, isn't it?

You are the one who carried her around for 9 months, breastfed her, changed her diapers, clothed her, raised her in your house for the last 18 years and many more.

Now she needs to learn a life lesson and it has to be done the hard way. She cannot continue to take life for granted.

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think that she realizes what she is doing. It's truly a case of ignorance and miscommunication. Yea, she's young, self-absorbed and conscious of her image--that goes with the territory with a college-aged person. If you can truly communicate, I think that it will improve the relationship.

This is a case in which a neutral third party would be helpful. Maybe a doctor or therapist. Mother/daughter relationships are so close and intense by nature.

That is why I suggested what I did. A little shock factor at that age does wonders sometimes.

I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, showing my family my audiogram was the only way that I could make them understand that I cannot hear their voices. A picture of the hearing loss in the speech zone is clear and obvious. I think that it's ignorance on their part. They had this idea that if they just turned up the volume that I would hear them.

Don't get a new audiogram. Print out a copy of the hearing loss audiogram that shows the speech zone. Estimate your hearing loss on the graph. Show that to your family. Then, maybe they will get it. Hearing people have no idea what it's like having hearing loss. When you tell them, you might as well be speaking Greek to them. It's part of educating people. I know that there are emotional issues here. Try to put that aside and make her understand. Once she understands, her attitiude will change.

I already send them link to simulator. I should ask her if she actually listened to it so she could understand what she sound like to me. It was funny actually, yesterday, I am downstairs steam cleaning teenager furniture and do not hear her come downstairs, obviously. Suddenly light goes on and off so I turn around and she is there to tell me that she and her girlfriend, also home from reading break from University, going for dinner. Then she signs a little heart at me and left. Do not know what that was about. Maybe she is just trying to fuck with my mind? :giggle:

I wonder how she would feel if you showed her the bill from university?

She already know. I help her figure out budget for each month of how much she can spend each week from account. She now has job so will start to earn some income which is awesome as I am her sole financial support.

The thing is we are *SO* close. Always have been. Always able to talk about anything (ie: sex, birth control, boyfriends, her dad) very openly. It is just /voice off that she cannot seem handle. After leave for bathroom other night boyfriend talk to them. He say in text, "I told them, when bathroom you...them MUST learn ASL or it will break your heart! Told them think ASL language of love! Brave strong you...live their world...now discovering yours...why changes happening they not like." Then he say call bluff. Show test *then* they be force to learn. Seem silly have make agreement with own kids for something *SO* important.

I already send them link to simulator. I should ask her if she actually listened to it so she could understand what she sound like to me. It was funny actually, yesterday, I am downstairs steam cleaning teenager furniture and do not hear her come downstairs, obviously. Suddenly light goes on and off so I turn around and she is there to tell me that she and her girlfriend, also home from reading break from University, going for dinner. Then she signs a little heart at me and left. Do not know what that was about. Maybe she is just trying to fuck with my mind? :giggle:

She already know. I help her figure out budget for each month of how much she can spend each week from account. She now has job so will start to earn some income which is awesome as I am her sole financial support.

The thing is we are *SO* close. Always have been. Always able to talk about anything (ie: sex, birth control, boyfriends, her dad) very openly. It is just /voice off that she cannot seem handle. After leave for bathroom other night boyfriend talk to them. He say in text, "I told them, when bathroom you...them MUST learn ASL or it will break your heart! Told them think ASL language of love! Brave strong you...live their world...now discovering yours...why changes happening they not like." Then he say call bluff. Show test *then* they be force to learn. Seem silly have make agreement with own kids for something *SO* important.

Yes, it is silly, and also innappropriate.

This is really sad to read. She should not have said that to you... she should know how important it is to you.

Would she do an experiment where she wears ear plugs all day long, trying to understand people? I mean the solid ear plugs that let no sound in. Maybe then, she'll get it.

Sorry about the lip she gave you, rebeccalj. :hug:
When she gets older I think she will realize that she has only one mother and will regret her words to you. It's hell it doesn't happen now, isn't it?

I was *SO* shocked by it had to get up and leave table. Floored. She not usually speak to me like that but in this one area *SO* stubborn about. Do not understand why so stubborn on something that is key for us to communicate.

Know very little sound now so probably be 100% deaf in not too long. Try prepare last few years for this. Do not think she will like only email to me. Or text. When that day come. Seem to me she could be learning now and be, how say, ahead of the game?

You are the one who carried her around for 9 months, breastfed her, changed her diapers, clothed her, raised her in your house for the last 18 years and many more.

Now she needs to learn a life lesson and it has to be done the hard way. She cannot continue to take life for granted.

Actually only 6 months but, yes, you are right. Thing is that she and her younger brother are very likely to have deaf child. Tell them both this but does not register? in their mind. Probably will not until happen for them.

I agree that she need to learn life lesson. Yes!! Just wish knew how to turn switch to do that. Boyfriend say same thing as you. Play hard ball? with her. Maybe just refuse to speak? If she do not like then tough?

This is really sad to read. She should not have said that to you... she should know how important it is to you.

Would she do an experiment where she wears ear plugs all day long, trying to understand people? I mean the solid ear plugs that let no sound in. Maybe then, she'll get it.

Ooohh, that is *great* idea! Will propose that to her and ask her if she ever listen to simulator.

:ty:

I feel that a lot of us forget that when we're teenagers, we demand unnecessary things, rebel or have twisted thinking that usually is shaped from our friends or social groups or media.
I remember a lot of the teenagers here on AD, even the deaf and non-deaf do not get along well with them. Remember Joey? Baseballboy? They get people angry from time to time just from general teenage behaviors.

So, just hang in there is my thought. You will win in the end. Parents always win, it's just when is the question. :h5:

Back