How do deaf make phone calls in the US?

deafdrummer

Reaction score
Hello? How do you make phone calls to hearing people at businesses and doctor's offices in the United States, since the likes of That's Hamilton and even web-based IP-relay services are gone?

I only have a cell phone and computer running off that as a tethered device out in the country with no access to a TTY in the town I live nearby.

I need to call an RV shop in the morning so that I can drive there to pick up a part for my Thetford TOILET, because I can't use water in my travel trailer, which is MY HOME out in the country by the farm. Without it working correctly, I can't shower, I can't potty inside, I can't even cook inside without access to clean water. However, just about everybody shut down IP-Relay, and I cannot get Purple's IP registration to work at all. Damn thing thinks I have an address that doesn't exist. Help, as I have to drive as far away as 100 miles just to pick up a complete water valve system for the toilet, and there's more than 10 versions of that valve system available, and I must get the right one.

Thanks very much!

Hmm. Is there a way to contact the business via email (that way you can send a pic of part too). Only other way I can think of if someone else can call then tell you via email or text... Was going to ask if you have fax but doesn't sound like you do. Not sure why Purple is being picky on the address..would have thought you could put nearest cross street/intersection.

If I can help, I can try.

Hmm. Is there a way to contact the business via email (that way you can send a pic of part too). Only other way I can think of if someone else can call then tell you via email or text... Was going to ask if you have fax but doesn't sound like you do. Not sure why Purple is being picky on the address..would have thought you could put nearest cross street/intersection.

deafdrummer is on a farm not in a town.

That's few reason, why we need to have text relay service exist in market. Videophone is no good:
• Loss Hearing with no knowledge ASL
• Deaf who choice to not learn ASL
• Rural with no data coverage and/or no high-speed Internet
• Certainly condition on Usher Syndrome and/or RP (sp) prefer TRS instead TTY nor VP during difficult visual

That's few reason, why we need to have text relay service exist in market. Videophone is no good:
• Loss Hearing with no knowledge ASL
• Deaf who choice to not learn ASL
• Rural with no data coverage and/or no high-speed Internet
• Certainly condition on Usher Syndrome and/or RP (sp) prefer TRS instead TTY nor VP during difficult visual

HUH? The OP is taking about reaching businesses and doctors , how is ASL going to help , if will only help if there is someone at the other end of the line that know it. I have made a number of calls and told the person I am HOH and I can't hear them and the fool will say " I can hear you just fine!" I think all the technology in the world is not going to help until the general public is educated in how to communicate to with hoh and deaf people.

Hello? How do you make phone calls to hearing people at businesses and doctor's offices in the United States, since the likes of That's Hamilton and even web-based IP-relay services are gone?

I only have a cell phone and computer running off that as a tethered device out in the country with no access to a TTY in the town I live nearby.

I need to call an RV shop in the morning so that I can drive there to pick up a part for my Thetford TOILET, because I can't use water in my travel trailer, which is MY HOME out in the country by the farm. Without it working correctly, I can't shower, I can't potty inside, I can't even cook inside without access to clean water. However, just about everybody shut down IP-Relay, and I cannot get Purple's IP registration to work at all. Damn thing thinks I have an address that doesn't exist. Help, as I have to drive as far away as 100 miles just to pick up a complete water valve system for the toilet, and there's more than 10 versions of that valve system available, and I must get the right one.

Thanks very much!

I have never used iP-Relay just my state (Illinois) relay.

Here are some ideas that may not be in time for the current plumbing problem but here goes. Some of my ideas come from looking back at old posts by you. Based on an old mention of working retail I assume that you can speak.

You mention having a cell phone but make no mention of how fast your service is. If it is fast enough, Sprint CapTel is still around and does not need a voice plan. Your cell service does not need to be with Sprint. I did use it on a Verizon MVNO that does not have as fast a service as they now say is needed (they started out saying you needed 3G) and it worked but my end of the conversation would do a lot of cutting in and out. Really go through their site as there is a lot of information there. Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

For the future you might want to watch E-bay for listings of TTY's that provide a way to connect a cell phone at what may be less than new price. I did connect this way for a number of years connecting to the Illinois Relay and it worked well when my TTY was in good shape. Watch out for the Krown Pocket Comm though as it is not very sturdy and I think that was a major factor in why they quit making that. Krown does make some full size TTY's that have cell connection as an extra cost option. I have just found a Ultratec Compact/C at a good price. I have not gotten to use it yet as the guy did not include rechargeable AA batteries. It is much heavier than the Pocket Comm and appears to be much sturdier. My plan is to leave it in the car in case I need to make a call where I have minimal cell service. But . . . with the Compact/C what you have to watch out for is that it is new enough to use with today's digital cell phones. Then there is also the Clarity Q90D. Depending on what state you are in there may be help with the cost through the state.

I am currently in an area that has good 3G & 4G but not LTE service on the AT&T network. Thus for daily availability I am using service on one of their MVNO's and the Hamilton CapTel app which needs simultaneous voice & data. There are errors at times but it is very usable. Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone

GOOD LUCK and feel free to reply and/or PM. I, for one, would really like to know how this turns out.

This is not the first time I ever heard of your struggling, Deafdrummer. I have heard too numerous other Deaf people with similar struggling experiences like you have. I can't fight alone to protect our civil right.

Its still around, but much smaller than before, just say hello to relay reforms... for me, it will benefit Deaf much less than what it used to be. Less is being on way.

Giving our own civil rights away is really really sad thing and it seems to be happening already.

No, because they may not check email for days or weeks, even. What if it goes to spam because of domain or IP address range filter? Hosed before you even get started... Email is not a method of immediacy like phones are.

And of course not... I have no minutes to dedicate to faxing services...

No, because they may not check email for days or weeks, even. What if it goes to spam because of domain or IP address range filter? Hosed before you even get started... Email is not a method of immediacy like phones are.

And of course not... I have no minutes to dedicate to faxing services...

yea I'm not surprised. lot of brick n' mortar businesses are very unreliable with email. a temporary suggestion while you try to set up IP-RELAY account - have somebody to call them and ask them (the shop employee) to use text message with you.

I did that with my landlord.

I will not go back to TTYs because then, I have to cancel my contract with no minutes and go full $130-150 phone contract with minutes. We're only going a step backwards with technology VERY vulnerable to garbling with weak signals. Not going there... Okay thanks. I know where we stand now. We are officially 30 years behind everyone else. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. If you don't like it, then help each other build a DEAF CIVILIZATION that will not require ANY input on a monetary, material, or human talent basis. Make it COMPLETELY self-sufficient. I dare you to make this happen.

I will not go back to TTYs because then, I have to cancel my contract with no minutes and go full $130-150 phone contract with minutes. We're only going a step backwards with technology VERY vulnerable to garbling with weak signals. Not going there... Okay thanks. I know where we stand now. We are officially 30 years behind everyone else. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. If you don't like it, then help each other build a DEAF CIVILIZATION that will not require ANY input on a monetary, material, or human talent basis. Make it COMPLETELY self-sufficient. I dare you to make this happen.

With the conditions at your location connecting a TTY to your cell phone may be what will work. But you don't need to be paying near that high a cell bill.

I could be more specific if you had said who your cell service is from (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc). Here are a few sites to check for service through MVNOs (MVNO stands for mobile virtual network operator. An MVNO has a business relationship with a larger mobile network operator (MNO). An MVNO pays wholesale fees for minutes and then sells the minutes at retail prices under its own brand.) which are noticeably less expensive than the big names. What you give up is the inclusion of roaming (or you have to pay extra for it) and on some LTE service. All that I am familiar with do NOT charge extra to be using a smartphone and to tether (what you choose to use your data for is up to you).

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource has different sections for just about all of the MVNOs.

Page Plus https://www.pagepluscellular.com/ is a Verizon one that I have used. Here is the site run by one of their biggest dealers Kitty Forums which unfortunately one of the mods on Howard hates.

My main phone is now with No Contract Cell Phone Plans from Pure TalkUSA because as an AT&T MVNO they offer simultaneous voice & data which is needed by the Hamilton CapTel app.

Thanks- I hadn't realized it was a farm (I saw that info in the other thread just now).

True on email- I find that to be hit or miss in communicating with businesses and even with job hunting/recruiters.

I thought of the TTY too but have to agree it might not be a great idea (I still have both the normal size tty and a compact one). The CapTel is an option I think... I have one that I don't use anymore so if anybody wants it lol (it was free to me 10 years ago- still in great shape).

My carrier is AT&T, and space/weight is at a premium. My home is 18 feet long opened by 8 feet wide, so I can't take on additional equipment until I solve my vertical space storage issues.

I will have to contact Purple about this, as their registration system doesn't work. i711 Relay keeps thinking that I'm outside the US trying to call into the states.

If you're refusing TTY then is your need really an emergency? A landline with a TTY seems to be the only choice that works for you. That's the way it is, unless you can get those business to text with you through text messages. I do that with our auto mechanic and one or two other businesses. The rest of them I call with VRS.

Thanks for the link regarding Sprint IP. I just now saw this today. I signed up for it, and we'll see if it's still operational.

Back