Deaf and mute

Being nonverbal if you're classic autistic is quite common. It's NOT universal (and there are a lot of high functioning autistic folks /Asperger's who can speak quite well) However, it's common enough that there's a HUGE therapy industry for autistic people who don't speak.

"a classic autistic". What exactly is a classic autistic? I was unaware I am an autistic? What is an autistic anyway? I don't think a determiner such as "a" can been added infront of the word autisic since there is no one autism. There are people who have autism, but last time I checked there weren't people who were an autistic, classic or not.

If you mean a person who has Kenner type (disintegrative) Autism, many of us who have this kind develop speech normally until we are a few years old and then as the inability to process sensory information gets worse a "regression" happens and we struggle to produce speech. There are many of us with Kenner type autism who can speak and speak well.

It is really frustrating me that you are such an "expert" on everything.

"a classic autistic". What exactly is a classic autistic? I was unaware an autistic? What is an autistic anyway? I don't think a determiner such as "a" can been added infront of the word autisic since there is no one autism. There are people who have autism, but last time I checked there weren't people who were an autistic, classic or not.

If you mean a person who has Kenner type (disintegrative) Autism, many of us who have this kind develop speech normally until we are a few years old and then as the inability to process sensory information gets worse a "regression" happens and we struggle to produce speech. There are many of us with Kenner type autism who can speak and speak well.

x2.

Just plain Deaf and Mute meaning the Deaf would like to use ASL and not wanting to produce speaking the language. Dumb is very offensive. I was deaf and mute until I started to wear my hearing aid (left ear) and started to learn how to talk at 8 years old. I was forced to do this. So I guess I did not have a choice if I do not want to wear hearing aid and not want to speak. My voice was funny and has a deaf accent. Go figure! :roll:

"a classic autistic". What exactly is a classic autistic? I was unaware I am an autistic? What is an autistic anyway? I don't think a determiner such as "a" can been added infront of the word autisic since there is no one autism. There are people who have autism, but last time I checked there weren't people who were an autistic, classic or not.

I was misdiagnose as autistic by the doctor in Chicago. The doctor or maybe even other doctors with him thought I could not placed the words for objects. When someone dropped the tray on the floor very close to me, I responded to it by feeling the vibration but the hearing person thought I could hear. Hmmf. That is why they thought I was hearing because I never took a hearing test at all. Years later I went to the Minnesota University Hospital and the doctor there gave me the hearing test and found that I have been deaf all my life. Weird doctors in Chicago. They need to go back to the medical school and start over, but now they are old and already gone. Good grief. :roll: Misdiagnosed happen to every Deaf or HOH people when they went to see the doctors. Autistic happen to many Deaf and HOH people like that for misdiagnose.

Just plain Deaf and Mute meaning the Deaf would like to use ASL and not wanting to produce speaking the language. Dumb is very offensive. I was deaf and mute until I started to wear my hearing aid (left ear) and started to learn how to talk at 8 years old. I was forced to do this. So I guess I did not have a choice if I do not want to wear hearing aid and not want to speak. My voice was funny and has a deaf accent. Go figure! :roll:

Way back then, dumb and mute meant the same thing. The sign for that would be on the lips, not the forehead.

I understand you are a blind person who is coincidentally losing hearing.

THat is a very odd last statement as no one suggested it.

Study a little deaf history. DId you know that Deaf schools used to have classrooms for the "aphasic" as it was considered more politically correct?

I didn't know that. I'd consider "aphasic" an inaccurate description because aphasia is a language disorder in the brain, not on the tongue. Deaf aphasics have just as hard a time producing signs as their hearing counterparts do producing spoken word.

Deaf-mute excludes people who are being deaf but being able to speak. I know mute can describe a choice not to use voice just as much as a physiological inability to, but many Deaf people do choose to use their voice anywhere from a bit to all the time.

I'd say none of the groups we're discussing are aphasics. If a non-verbal person can produce language in writing, they're still using the language facility in their brain.

I didn't know that. I'd consider "aphasic" an inaccurate description because aphasia is a language disorder in the brain, not on the tongue. Deaf aphasics have just as hard a time producing signs as their hearing counterparts do producing spoken word.

Deaf-mute excludes people who are being deaf but being able to speak. I know mute can describe a choice not to use voice just as much as a physiological inability to, but many Deaf people do choose to use their voice anywhere from a bit to all the time.

I'd say none of the groups we're discussing are aphasics. If a non-verbal person can produce language in writing, they're still using the language facility in their brain.

I merely told you how there were classrooms, titled "aphasic"

Jenny tried to explain too.

Since you obviously have no interest in how deaf history went, I will cease attempting to educate or communicate with you.

I merely told you how there were classrooms, titled "aphasic"

Jenny tried to explain too.

Since you obviously have no interest in how deaf history went, I will cease attempting to educate or communicate with you.

And I merely said I think that's a misnomer. Of course I have interest in Deaf history.

I tried to PM you (cause I don't want to totally derail the thread) but you don't receive PM's so I just want to say:

I put a lot of effort into trying not to be offended by many of the things you say because you seem to always bite my head off or snap back at whatever I say. I try to take things you say the best way possible and reply based on that. I'd appreciate if you made the same effort.

:ty:

I don't claim to be an expert on everything. I think you just took my comment the wrong way. Maybe I could have used a better term. What I meant is the population of autistic adults and kids who aren't verbally skilled. I was trying to differentate that popultion from the more high functioning autistic (eg Asperger's) population. That's all. I'm sorry I said anything.

This thread turned to be a fantastic place for discussing and sharing opinions.

I'v recently read a couple of papers about this subject.
I also think all the time about the labels and words I use to define things/ppl.
In response in a website about deaf culture, to a Dr. who wrote about wich term is apropriate, I said, and quote myelf-
Con todo respeto, leer sobre cómo los investigadores llamaban a los sordos
hace 500 años, me es totalmente irrelevante. Es como leer en cada sitio que
encuentro sobre astrofísica, que antes de Copérnico los ACADEMICOS EXPERTOS
Y ESTUDIOSOS creían y ENSEÑABAN el geocentrismo. Acaso cada vez que quiero
aprender sobre el sistema solar y el heliocentrismo, tengo que leer sobre
una TEORIA OBSOLETA (ver en Wikipedia "Teoría científicamente obsoleta)"? No
creo. De hecho, no es así. Nadie habla ya de eso.
Entiéndase desde ya que no hay por que dejar de hablar de cómo se le llamaba
antes a la persona usuaria nativa de la LS (mudo, sordomudo, sordo) Pero, es
relevante hoy? No es relevante, en mi opinión.
Localmente, no utilizo la seña para SORDO-MUDO (mano haciendo un cuatro, con
los dedos juntos, tocando el oído y luego la boca, o, como se dijo, tocando
el oído y la boca con el dedo índice) Solo uso la de sordo, que es la seña
de NO-HABER en la zona de la oreja.

With all due respect, reading about how researchers called the deaf 500 years ago, it's totally irrelevant to me. It's like reading on every website I find about astrophisics, that a long time ago, before Copernico, EXPERTS AND ACADEMICS believed and TAUGHT geocentrism. It's the case that every time I want to learn about the solar system and heliocentrism do I have to read about an OBSOLETE THEORY? (pls note Obsolete scientific theories on Wikipedia) I don't think so. In fact, its not like that. No one speaks about that anymore.
Let me say that im not implying that we shouldnt discuss how a native user of SL used to be called (deaf, deafmute, mute) But, it's relevant today? It is not, in my opinion.
Locally, I don't use the sign for DEAF-MUTE (hand in four shape, with fingers together, touching the ear and then the mouth, or, like it was said, touching the ear and then the mouth with the index finger) I just use the the DEAF sign, wich is THERE-IS-NO in the ear area (note on the translation: the glose is transliteration)

I'm what you call "deaf and mute"....that is better than being called "deaf and dumb" but either case can take offense....I just call it being profoundly deaf with no speech (PDNS)

Waxy you just made me realize...

Does the ASL sign for Deaf (pointing to the ear then the mouth) originate from meaning deaf (point to ear) and mute (point to mouth)? I take it you're talking about a different SL in your post since you mentioned the 4 handshape and you have Spanish in your post, but I'm wondering if the origin is the same in ASL.

Waxy you just made me realize...

Does the ASL sign for Deaf (pointing to the ear then the mouth) originate from meaning deaf (point to ear) and mute (point to mouth)? I take it you're talking about a different SL in your post since you mentioned the 4 handshape and you have Spanish in your post, but I'm wondering if the origin is the same in ASL.

I'll try to research on it, but I bet (because it happened with a lot of other signs, like INTERPRETER, for instance) that our DEAF-MUTE sign comes from your DEAF sign.

Ok.
Just checked ASLpro for DEAF, and if its correct, our signing for DEAF-MUTE is that exactly, except that we touch the ear first.

BTW, some ppl signs that as DEAF only. Even some deaf fellas.
I just can't.

I'll try to research on it, but I bet (because it happened with a lot of other signs, like INTERPRETER, for instance) that our DEAF-MUTE sign comes from your DEAF sign.

Ok.
Just checked ASLpro for DEAF, and if its correct, our signing for DEAF-MUTE is that exactly, except that we touch the ear first.

BTW, some ppl signs that as DEAF only. Even some deaf fellas.
I just can't.

I've seen "Deaf" signed both ear to mouth and mouth to ear in ASL.

Just out of curiosity, what sign language are you referring to? And also, how do you sign "interpreter"?

• ASL • American Sign Language

at top of page click "I", then on left side - go down to "interpreter"

Dr. Vickers has pictures that show it.

Take the "F" in both hands and touch the index and thumb of each hand together back and forth, then hands down to the sides for agent.

I've seen "Deaf" signed both ear to mouth and mouth to ear in ASL.

Just out of curiosity, what sign language are you referring to? And also, how do you sign "interpreter"?

I'm referring LSA (Lengua de Señas Argentina, Argentine Sign language)
And, as well stated KristinaB, that's also our sign for INTERPRETER.
ASLpro has the same.

I'm referring LSA (Lengua de Señas Argentina, Argentine Sign language)
And, as well stated KristinaB, that's also our sign for INTERPRETER.
ASLpro has the same.

Back