Cochlear Implants: He said it was not worth...

Yeah, well we don't know EVERYTHING that happened to this guy. Did he get a bad batch of CI? He got this implant when he was 11 years old, so it seems like it was 10-15 years ago. CI technology has changed since then.

Did he get a bad surgeon that didn't know what he was doing? (Due to the "crack" in the implant that he had the first time). His mom probably didn't do the research because he said, "Mom says that she gives up."

There will ALWAYS be a few people that got implanted that will have issues with it (not failures!), like not used to the sounds, not training, not good surgeons, lack of research.

This is just one of a few people. Don't base your opinion just on unsuccessful implantees.

Yeah, well we don't know EVERYTHING that happened to this guy. Did he get a bad batch of CI? He got this implant when he was 11 years old, so it seems like it was 10-15 years ago. CI technology has changed since then.

Did he get a bad surgeon that didn't know what he was doing? (Due to the "crack" in the implant that he had the first time). His mom probably didn't do the research because he said, "Mom says that she gives up."

There will ALWAYS be a few people that got implanted that will have issues with it (not failures!), like not used to the sounds, not training, not good surgeons, lack of research.

This is just one of a few people. Don't base your opinion just on unsuccessful implantees.

Always been a few people? What number would you consider "few"?

The reason I asked cuz I think there are a lot more who werent able to benefit from their CIs or at least in my experience. So was just wondering what your definition of "few" was? Thanks

LadySekhmet,
Don't say few of them who have bad ci..
Pretty TON TON Deaf people were not happy w/their CI because isn't working or other kinds side effects.. Thanks to their parent are forcing them to have ci.
Oh well
you don't know their life alike..
but you proud yourself have CI.. I don't care but you have to UNDERSTAND their feelings expression because of not working or else.. You have to accept it.. if you don't accept it.. then don't need discuss here then!
you not willing share their experiences other who have CI users..

Finally, watched the video...wow, broke 2 times? Ouch! I feel for this guy. Important, he is happy now despite the headaches he gets from the implant.

Always been a few people? What number would you consider "few"?

The reason I asked cuz I think there are a lot more who werent able to benefit from their CIs or at least in my experience. So was just wondering what your definition of "few" was? Thanks

Sorry my bad. I meant small percentage of the entire population that was implanted. I'm not sure exactly the numbers, but I think it's around 15,000 people have been implanted. A small percentage of that number. If I'm way off that, let me know, and prove it to me. I rather see proof. :-D

Sorry my bad. I meant small percentage of the entire population that was implanted. I'm not sure exactly the numbers, but I think it's around 15,000 people have been implanted. A small percentage of that number. If I'm way off that, let me know, and prove it to me. I rather see proof. :-D

There was a thread about "soft" failures not being reported. I will have to search for it...

LadySekhmet,
Don't say few of them who have bad ci..
Pretty TON TON Deaf people were not happy w/their CI because isn't working or other kinds side effects.. Thanks to their parent are forcing them to have ci.
Oh well
you don't know their life alike..
but you proud yourself have CI.. I don't care but you have to UNDERSTAND their feelings expression because of not working or else.. You have to accept it.. if you don't accept it.. then don't need discuss here then!
you not willing share their experiences other who have CI users..

I meant to say a small percentage of people that were implanted either did not work for them or had failures, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I DO understand what they're going through. I just don't like it when people bring up posts about failed implants, or implants that didn't work for them then make a huge deal saying, "See! This is WHY CI should not be implanted in children!!!" I have ALWAYS said that CI is not for everyone. It's not because the parents "FORCED" CI on the children that the implant cracked (in this guy's situation).

There's a few adults that had CI, and it didn't work for them for whatever reason (either failed implant due to bad batch or even incompetent surgeon, etc). My point was we don't know whether he had a bad batch, bad surgeon, bad ears, etc...There's a lot more to the story than just a cracked implant.

I do feel bad for the guy that has to go through this, but there's no reason to make it a huge deal saying that it's the reason why CI should not implanted.

Your last line, "You not willing share their experiences other who have CI users" - it's ambivalent to me. It sounds like you are saying that I'm not willing to share the "unsuccessful" CI users' experiences. I prefer that word instead of failure. Personally, I only know TWO people that the CI didn't work for them. One reason was because she had WAY too high expectation, and did NOT go through the training. She NEVER heard any sound prior to implant, and she expected to hear everything. Well, she was wrong. If you never ever heard sound before (especially when you're an adult), the CI will sound very very weird and basically sound awful. Who's at fault? She is. partially because she just wanted the CI, she wanted to be hearing and had too much of a high expectation. She took it off, and never tried again. Another person had the implant done. Everything was perfect. However, he just had the surgery, and never bothered to go through the mappings, training. He wears his hearing aid on his other ear, and depends on his hearing aid and just uses the CI because "it's there". Who's at fault? He is because he didn't train himself to use the CI, to allow his brain to "rewire" itself.
Since when I was unwilling to share these experiences?

I hope I'm making some sense of what I'm trying to say. I am basically saying that anyone that watches this video should keep in mind that just because it didn't work for one guy doesn't mean it won't work for everyone and it's the reason why children should not be implanted. That's why I said, "Don't base your opinion just one unsuccessful CI implantees".

There was a thread about "soft" failures not being reported. I will have to search for it...

Yeah, that I remember...I know there was one bad batch with AB a few years ago (correct me on this, but I read it up somewhere, just not sure where)...it's been fixed. Sadly, these people had to have surgery the 2nd time.

I believe it's more like ~100,000 people have been implanted. Somewhere in that order of magnitude.

I thought it was a bigger number of bitlaterals, but perhaps I just don't remember it right. Dr. Kelsall, the CI surgeon in Denver, he was here on Friday and talked about implants and mentioned numbers. I can't remember them right now but I can get the slideshow in email from the coordinators who planned the conference.

I thought it was a bigger number of bitlaterals, but perhaps I just don't remember it right. Dr. Kelsall, the CI surgeon in Denver, he was here on Friday and talked about implants and mentioned numbers. I can't remember them right now but I can get the slideshow in email from the coordinators who planned the conference.

have you found out anything?

Okay.
Now.. Ugly truth about ci..
check it out:
Jack’s Eyes » Blog Archive » UGLY TRUTH: THE THREE ASL BROTHERS

Three DEAF boys were implanted... Her mother is er umm SELFISH all herself being brag..
She shown true colors and doesn't even CARE about Deaf Community THINKS.

Look Three boys were not happy answer when got activated.
What his mother say, Oh aw, stop that, you'll learn and talk blah blah..
Made me turn off fast!

Think about yourself see your own eyes.

But even Teenager or Adults are willing have CI.. that's fine because you made your decision..
BUT 3 Deaf Boys have nothing made their own decision but HIS MOTHER FORCING have 3 kids implanted.

Geez Whiz!

There was a thread about "soft" failures not being reported.
And it depends on what you mean by "failure"
I actually think that while bilaterals are growing, theyll never be commonplace. There's a population out there that will definitly benifit, (ie they have NO hearing in that ear) but, b/c response to hearing insturments is so variable, I think that it'll be more common to see the CI + HA combo. Also, only the most generous insurance companies will pay for bilaterals, since the improvement really isn't HUGE. (ie increased speech perception) about the only advantages is that they can localize sounds and talk in noisy sitiutions. That's really not too cost effective.

I believe it's more like ~100,000 people have been implanted. Somewhere in that order of magnitude.

yup, 100,000 is the reported number that I read on several sites this week, including wikipedia and a few others....

Back