Walking while Deaf

Nothingless

Reaction score
Anybody have any horror stories of crap situations with society, walking while deaf/ hoh?

Especially at night?
Would appreciate hearing how it is for others.

Last edited:
Don't know about "horror"...but walking at night for me, I stagger back and forth. So I use what was taught in Rehab to do to keep my balance...eyes up, down, left and right...It works for me.

If I have to go out a night with my dog I take a flashlight so I can see if there is anything to be careful about. I had plenty of horror stories of stepping in dog poop.

If you get scared walking you have mental, not hearing issues.

Well. some people do get mugged, raped and murdered walking at night...guessing this is what she meant.....And if the person did survive the crime, guessing they would be afraid to walk in the dark ????

People that do walk in places that are not well-lighted, or high crime areas...are actually asking for trouble. If you do have to walk somewhere it's best to walk with someone...or take your Gun with you...otherwise, it's best to stay out of dark alleys and high crime areas at night.

welll....
You just put one foot in front, then another,and then the other,and so on...
Hard to describe...
Its something you just have to do i guess....

If you get scared walking you have mental, not hearing issues.
so... those who are deaf-blind and are afraid/worried about walking anywhere- especially at night have mental problems too? I am deaf but with with 'low vision'/vision issues that aren't the best at night so yes I tend to be a little scared ****less sometimes unless I am somewhere I know VERY well. I will never forget the minor league hockey game I went to with 5-6 other guys. All deaf but four were deaf-blind...the head scratcher? I wound up being the 'lead' for two deaf-blind guys (I lead 2nd guy- hand on my shoulder, third guy had hand on 2nd guy's shoulder) in a line; #2 & 3 both use white canes, #4 was mobile enough to not need assistance. Since it was in a city/area I knew nothing about it was...interesting.

Hmm.

But I can see the OP's point of view- I can see if a person is late deafened and not used to it just yet that they'd be a little freaked while walking because they can't hear anything (like before) around them, behind them etc. A born-deaf already knows to use their eyes and awareness while walking around. Unfamiliar places even for a hearing sighted person can be unnerving too.

Very true RR... well lit areas are unavoidable sometimes though but high crime areas at night I think most people know not to go running around in at night lol. Those who have to walk at night due to shift work probably know tricks to protect themselves or know longer routes etc to avoid any kind of trouble.

so... those who are deaf-blind and are afraid/worried about walking anywhere- especially at night have mental problems too? I am deaf but with with 'low vision'/vision issues that aren't the best at night so yes I tend to be a little scared .

Me too. I can't see at night and can't go walking in the dark.

Even when I could see, I did manage to get hit twice by cars. Worst injury was some broken foot bones from a tire rolling over my foot after knocking me off my bike.

So even born deaf people can get hurt just out walking.

Hearing people too, but deaf people just need to be more aware.

I walk with a chip on my shoulder... never had an issue with anyone day or night.

If you act scared .....they know who their next victim is.

True too, Sono... a "confident" person, shoulders back. whether a brisk walk or slow...shows "no fear"...I'm female but I walk in a confident manner. And when strangers do wave or say "hello", I just keep walking. Deafies also need to be more alert to their surroundings.

I walk with a chip on my shoulder... never had an issue with anyone day or night.

Yep.....
Its that simple really....
Then agiain ive known people scared of showers too...
Humans are strange creatures...
All round...

But I can see the OP's point of view- I can see if a person is late deafened and not used to it just yet that they'd be a little freaked while walking because they can't hear anything (like before) around them, behind them etc. A born-deaf already knows to use their eyes and awareness while walking around. Unfamiliar places even for a hearing sighted person can be unnerving too.

I'm HOH born hearing, it's been a gradual loss for me. My right ear hears very little now so it's gotten tough for me to figure out where sounds are coming from sometimes, and unless I'm concentrating I sometimes don't hear things if they're quiet or blend in with background noise.

I live in a urban environment and so far the biggest change for me while walking is being more visually aware. I used to trust my ears and would casually stroll across small streets without really looking well. Now I'm more careful to look both ways even when I'm just grabbing the mail across a very small residential street.

I know I can't trust my ears anymore, and now I'm getting used to trusting my eyes more. It's not uncommon for me to second guess myself with a thought like "did that car move, or is it parked, better look again"

Beyond that, I wouldn't say it's made me scared, but I do still have a fair bit of hearing in my good ear. If I lose that too, I might think differently of it, but honestly I think adjusting and trusting your eyes and just being more visually aware is helpful.

I'm also a tall guy, my wife, a smaller stature female, has always been a little more wary walking alone. So I think for females this is maybe a more common feeling, regardless of hearing.

I don't have a problem with that.

The definition of 'scared' is different though... As a deaf-blind person I can walk around with confidence no problem but there is still a small concern about walking around at night- tripping over things most people would see and avoid, bumping into things others would walk around. Day time vision and night time vision are different. I knew many DBers who always went out at night for dinner or whatever (usually in groups, sometimes alone) but they still had concerns about being out in the dark and not having any control over what they can/can't see (more so for low vision folks or night blind people like Usher's).

I don't have a problem with that.

The definition of 'scared' is different though... As a deaf-blind person I can walk around with confidence no problem but there is still a small concern about walking around at night- tripping over things most people would see and avoid, bumping into things others would walk around. Day time vision and night time vision are different. I knew many DBers who always went out at night for dinner or whatever (usually in groups, sometimes alone) but they still had concerns about being out in the dark and not having any control over what they can/can't see (more so for low vision folks or night blind people like Usher's).

Well...im not blind so cant comment...there...
But im Deaf..and spent allot of time pulling really god awfull unsafe walking around alone,at night, through colonia of the federele districto when i lived there...(shakes head), anyway....
But im a bit crazy too...not now, then i admit i was, now i just see dead people, but am safe....mostly....
a note about fear though...
Before i did my first stretch...i was terrified of hights.....when i realesed...i discovered...no man nor hight phased me...and have enjoyed sky diving since, before i went in 30 feet high would gve me the shivers and timbers, and wobbles...now....and after....
Meh
Weird....
(Scratches head)
fear......its as real as you let be!! As fleeting or as enduring as you make it,

Last edited:
Well I developed one fear, and that is... I can't hear at night sleeping, so I'm not sleeping soundly as I should when I do, I am more sensitive to vibrations and wake when cars drive by or lights shine on windows. Worried about fires or emergencies like a tornado.

I have a chip on my shoulder too but it did not stop me from almost getting jobbed while walking home. I was not afraid , I was tried and did not notice two guys following me. They didn't get a penny out of me , I would not stop yelling on the top of my lungs . I lost my footing and both guy took me by an arm , they got pissed of at me for not stopping yelling and said was going to kill me! So I started yelling for HELP even louder that when one guy punch me in the stomach then they both ran off. I think it has more to you being a man . At first I thought they helping me from falling so I knew I was not afraid.

Well I developed one fear, and that is... I can't hear at night sleeping, so I'm not sleeping soundly as I should when I do, I am more sensitive to vibrations and wake when cars drive by or lights shine on windows. Worried about fires or emergencies like a tornado.

Smoke a fatty bro.....
Works like a charm.....

Sweet dreams...

Well, being MMA and my daughter being a black belt, one reason I put her through it, so she could hold her own. Me, I just make a comment and they usually chose to leave. My daughter, had a few confrontations, she warned them or her friends made the warning, then she opened a whole new can o whooped butt! Being confident doesn't always work, but blocking the threat before it escalate sometimes helps. Yes women are mor vulnerable due to the mentality that some men have of them being a weaker sex.

Lols hoichi, it's legal in my state in 4 days. Btw, I'm a guy, I just had a frustrating experience where I couldn't understand the other side or where they were coming from, no fears, no trouble actually walking (besides balance issues), good advice sonicativo and others, and I appreciate the humor from others. Thankfully I have never had an issue with anybody that did anything other than annoy me or confuse me temporarily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back