Switched at Birth's Inaccuracies?

can watch on HULU . com with captions, all shows :)

also, I am a very good lip reader and sometimes people think im hearing because of it--no lip reading it not 100% or perfect and can confuse a lot but think of like this, when hearing people aquire language they learn diffrent sounds and however diffrent speach stuff is (hated speach!) anyways, for me growing up (I will not speak for all Deaf people since it varries from person to person) when I was growing up and I learn diffrent words and speach, it wasent as much about sound as learning the words on the mouth. People as me all time how I learn to lip read, and I ask how they learn to listen. People adapt to what works for them.

As far as the show--there was one time she was looking directly at someone and didnt catch any of it and ran off--this demonstrated the fustration and I liked that because IT HAPPENS!

Lip reading is not always right and its a lot of work, fustrating which is why I appreciate people signing :)

How does one learn to speak with a deaf accent? :confused: I guess there's coaches for that...

Yeah, I suspect that the folks that go off to Hollywood to become voice coaches to the stars may be a little better at their jobs and know a few more tricks than the average grade school speech therapist.

Yes there are times when John says something to her and her back is turned, but there are other times that she hears something that is said when someone has their back to them or their face is covered. They do have examples of her not catching something said, but I feel like her lip reading skills are unrealistic... can you really read them that well by the side?

according to her character's history she said she went a long time before learning sign. so it would make seance for her to be a super lip reader. i noticed sometimes she'll respond to someone's talking in difficult angles and speeds, but i've noticed that Dafeny will do her best at filling in the blanks.
i've had a flatmate who was deaf and if my hands were full i'd talk a'loud and he'd understand me even when i was slightly turned.

Also, is it just me, or was Regina's signing...choppy? Almost. Like. She. Signed. Like. This. Stopping between signs instead of flowing? Though I must say, I'm glad that her character took the time to actually learn sign! So many parents don't

i don't think her signing was too choppy, like if she was alone with the deaf councilor or Dafeny she'd be pretty good at flow, but when she started to speak out loud and sign then it was very choppy, i do this when i'm with a mix of Hearing and Deaf friends. I'll. start. singing. kinda. like. this outta habit for some reason- my perspective as a hearing person is that it's sometimes hard to talk out loud and sign ASL because of the grammatical differences. (or you could always blame it on this is a dramatic show so the mom is doing it for effect :D)

Does anyone else think that Emmett (Sean Berdy) is cute? :hmm: I also have seen him in some commercial thing for a video communication thing - Mossdeux or something? But he was much younger.

My younger sister mentioned this one to me, she said he's the kid from "sandlot II" everyone called "fingers" and yes she thinks he's very cute. and he's from a show while back "the deaf family", i didn't like it too much, kinda too sitcom-ish for my taste.

PS watch on HULU.com they've got the CC

I like the show! I agree some hearies may see the show and get the idea that deaf/hh people are able to get 100% from lip-reading (I suck at it), but then most had that idea before the show, so I don't mind too much. I really appreciate that it had scenes to demonstrates some of the frustrations we deal with, since they can and do happen and hearing people are better off being aware of that. In fact, there was a lot that they protrayed that I really appreciated, maybe it will make my interactions with hearies (who have watched the show) just a little bit easier. It may have a lot of drama (I don't watch a lot of drama shows), but it has a lot that I can relate to, so I don't mind too much. I really like Daphne as I feel like I can really connect with her, although it is like I grew up deaf with the Kennishes before someone was there to advocate for me.

TV just can't be perfect. There may be reason why it can't.
One show on air right now has a near-perfect character in disability.
In AMC's Breaking Bad, Walter Jr is shown to have Cerebal Palsy. In real life, the actor has CP and is normal as he is in the show as in reality.

Covert Affairs does an excellent job portraying a blind character in a very positive light. The actor is sighted but did extensive research and worked with an organization for the blind. I like that the show isn't about him being blind but more about how he is a bad ass who works for the CIA :)

I think that show is pretty fantastic and they did great job on that. Of course, it won't be prefect, but come on, you should appreciate their best work! :)

If you miss to see the Switched at Birth, go to hulu.com to catch up these show. It will be next new season in January 2012. Sean Berdy is fabulous actor !!

Great that ASL got popular from Switched at Birth. Good. If a large # of people want to learn ASL from me, maybe I would ask them to find red/maroon 1977-1979 Chevy Impala wagon for sale for me. I'm sure one of them will now that ASL is popular. A large # of people don't care about ASL the language. I'll be flat out disappointed if people quit ASL when "Switched at Birth" dies. I'll be happy if some of them interested in ASL from Switched at Birth can put it to good use, cool!!!

I was wondering about that myself. Will the "coolness" of ASL wear off after the show is over or will it bring more people to Sign in the long-run? Time will tell, I guess.

I'm getting pretty tired of every hearing teenaged girl aged 14-25 asking me if I watch it. But to be fair, I do know a few people who have begun taking ASL classes and really learning the language because of the show.

Do you guys think that her faking a "deaf accent" is offensive?

I would be offended if an asian actor had to fake an "asian accent".

Then again, there is enough "asian accent" stereotype going around that people are familiar with it, unlike deaf speech which is not as well known.

Still, it irks me when asian actors appear on screen with an obviously flawed grammar pattern and a very very choppy pronunciation. It just perpetuates the idea that Asian Americans are all first generation immigrants, bad at English, and are apparently not capable of forming longer complex sentences.

I am not surprised that many people are confused or surprised when I don't speak with an accent when I talk to them in the first time. Movies keep perpetuating that asians are idiots.

Do you guys think that her faking a "deaf accent" is offensive?

Movies keep perpetuating that asians are idiots.

1. It's not offensive. It helps to learn about the deaf culture.
She does what actors are supposed to do - she ACTS.

2. "Asians are idiots" ??

that's totally not true. if anything, they are usually portrayed as ambitious, intellectual,
best educated geeks.

see entry 2 and 3
Geek - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

So NOT idiots.

Fuzzy

hi
im not deaf but I am becoming hard of hearing. I have watched the deaf community on the show sign and in an attempt to understand what they are saying i learned the ASL alphabet and a few words. i couldnt pick up a darn thing anyone signed unless i paused it to see what the sign is. how do the deaf people do this so quickly.
if i sign mu name-kumari i would take 10s, but Matt, Emmett and Daphne's fingers are a blur when they sign
how do i get that good

how do i get that good

It takes time. Keep practicing. Keep studying. Keep watching. Not just switched at birth, but any video of good ASL you can find. Online, or there are some good DVDs out there you can buy or borrow from a library.

It can seem like there is no improvement at any given time, but if you keep at it (using effective study methods) you may look back several months from now and be shocked at how much more you understand, and how much faster you can read people's signing.

I have always been interested in ASL, but I didn't REALLY want to learn the language...at least not enough to be diligent about it...until I discovered Switched At Birth. I watched the first 2 seasons in 2 weeks and that was it for me. I love watching to see what signs I can pick out or learn and Sean Berdy is an inspiration in real life as well as when he's Emmett. :)

Back