Deaf children and hearing parents...why don't the parents learn sl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shel90 - One deaf person is not Deaf culture. I believe that the answers to your questions can be found within the various Deaf communities themselves.

Presentation is everything. :)

Disagree that one Deaf person cannot transmit Deaf Culture. You knowledge of culture contact and change is as lacking as your knowledge of all else you propose to have expertise in.

Yes, presentation is everything. You might want to consider that prior to your next post.

Funny, some would say the same thing about a hearing woman who has a deaf adult child without a cochlear implant who constantly visits and posts in cochlear implant forums.

Incorrect. I consider myself to be a member of the community. I was accepted by proxy a long time ago. And I have been more than willing to expose my own son to Deaf Culture, and in fact, celebrate it. CI is a topic that affects the Deaf Community, and deaf children. As an advocate for those deaf children, it is my obligation to dispell the myths that the oralists continue to propogate that are doingharm to the well being of deaf children as holistic beings.

FYI..by saying "JT" is considered a form of cyberbullying. U cant do that. If u dont agree with her, simply say so but by threatening her with made up initials is crossing the line. Just my 2 cents. If I found out who u really are and was using your personal information on a public forum without your contenst, I am sure u would report me.

Thank you shel. I have already reported such to the mods.

loml,

I guess jillio is her own example of the hearing disrespecting the deaf. :)
Rick

You are really reaching on that one. Why don't you enlighten ius as a parent of a deaf child? Let's get back to the topic. Exactly why is it that you never bothered to learn sign for your own deaf child?

:oop: sorry about that mistake and I thought Jillio is the male but I guess my mind have gone astray. I am glad that you think I make the remark very funny. Thank you. I am not a comedian and never have told a good joke if I could help it. Again, I apologize. :wiggle:

No apology necessary, Bebonang. You got everything else right!

Still not an adequate explanation to indicate that you have synthesized knowledge and can apply it appropriately. You are still parroting what you have been told. Sorry, still not a passing grade. You cited the research as support for your claim. Obviously, you have no idea what the research says, as you are completely unable to explain such in your own words. That tells me, unequivocably, that you have no comprehension regarding that which you post, and simply rely on the words of others to support your claims. Come on, loml.

We are discussing hearing parents and deaf children, loml. Try to stick tot he topic. And I am not a psychology major...I am a Ph.D. candidate.

jillio - Theoretically anyone attending post secondary school could make this claim. :afro:

shel90 - How can made up intials possibly become a threat?

My screen name is "jillio" and using anything other than my screen name to communicate with or identify me online is innappropriate. It very well can be considered a threat. And I have reported such to the mods.

Still not an adequate explanation to indicate that you have synthesized knowledge and can apply it appropriately. You are still parroting what you have been told. Sorry, still not a passing grade.

Instead of trying to discredit the person, try reading to whole paper for a change. The information provided answered all of your questions. In fact, it is often better to read the research rather than take someone's word for it. Since you claim to be so educated, perhaps it would be beneficial to read the information and maybe point out using the research provided and your own massive stores, where loml is mistaken regarding the posts about cued speech.

Instead of trying to discredit the person, try reading to whole paper for a change. The information provided answered all of your questions. In fact, it is often better to read the research rather than take someone's word for it. Since you claim to be so educated, perhaps it would be beneficial to read the information and maybe point out using the research provided and your own massive stores, where loml is mistaken regarding the posts about cued speech.

The information provided does not idicate to me the comprehension level of the person posting it. When I ask for an explanation in "your own words" I expect to get back sythesized information demonstrating comprehension, not memorized material that has not been sythesized, nor quotes that another person has made. And if such was provided me on an exam, it would receive a failing grade. I don't need to know if the researcher understood the material; that is quite obvious. I need to know if the person citing the research has any understanding of another's work. I have pointed out on numerous occasions where loml is mistaken. That is exactly why I have asked her for further explanation in her own words. She is unable to do so. All that she replies with are the pat answers and research directly from the NCSA website. That, in and of itself, is enough to question credibility when she proposes cued speech as a panacea for deaf children. If she is unable to understand the issues, then how can she be such an advocate for that which she has no understanding?

Now, let's get back on topic. Do you have any contributions to add to the topic of hearing parents who don't learn sign language for their deaf chidlren?

Still not an adequate explanation to indicate that you have synthesized knowledge and can apply it appropriately. You are still parroting what you have been told.

jillio - You simply have no idea what I have been told.

Sorry, still not a passing grade.

jillio- Please don't be sorry, a passing grade from you would be of no value to me.

You cited the research as support for your claim. Obviously, you have no idea what the research says, as you are completely unable to explain such in your own words.

jillio - Of course I cited research to support my opinion. It is better to have the research than to simply make statements, which cannot be supported from the academic literature. I am sorry that you have such difficulty with this..

That tells me, unequivocably, that you have no comprehension regarding that which you post, and simply rely on the words of others to support your claims.

jillio - What I rely on is research and experience.

Come on, loml.

Don't make this so hard for yourself jillio.

The information provided does not idicate to me the comprehension level of the person posting it. When I ask for an explanation in "your own words" I expect to get back sythesized information demonstrating comprehension, not memorized material that has not been sythesized, nor quotes that another person has made. And if such was provided me on an exam, it would receive a failing grade. I don't need to know if the researcher understood the material; that is quite obvious. I need to know if the person citing the research has any understanding of another's work. I have pointed out on numerous occasions where loml is mistaken. That is exactly why I have asked her for further explanation in her own words. She is unable to do so. All that she replies with are the pat answers and research directly from the NCSA website. That, in and of itself, is enough to question credibility when she proposes cued speech as a panacea for deaf children. If she is unable to understand the issues, then how can she be such an advocate for that which she has no understanding?

Now, let's get back on topic. Do you have any contributions to add to the topic of hearing parents who don't learn sign language for their deaf chidlren?

The fact that loml can pull out the information provided by the research and post it for you makes it very clear that there is comprehension. Asking for it in a person's own words is unecessary when the research is available. Besides, if loml had put it in her own words you would have asked for the research to support it. Now when provided with that research, you ask for it to be synthesized. You know how to do research, do it for yourself. The information provided was not from the NCSA, it is research that has been published in leading peer reviewed, deaf education journals. loml also provided a link to the Gaulladet website where some of the information was found. None of those sources have the NCSA website in their url.

I will have something to add to this topic when it turns into a debate rather than a bashing, belittling thread. If this forum is any sort of a representation of Deaf culture I don't blame parents for not learning sign. I wouldn't want to expose my child to the belittling here.

Don't make this so hard for yourself jillio.

You are the one that continues to make it hard for yourself, loml. If you rely on your experience, then please, enlighten us with your extensive knowledge gained through that experience and use your own words to explain theing and demonstrate that experience and knowledge. You continue to parrot.

Do you have anything to add to the topic Otherwise, this continual refusal of yours to demonstrate understanding and experience is taking yet another topic way off course.

The fact that loml can pull out the information provided by the research and post it for you makes it very clear that there is comprehension. Asking for it in a person's own words is unecessary when the research is available. Besides, if loml had put it in her own words you would have asked for the research to support it. Now when provided with that research, you ask for it to be synthesized. You know how to do research, do it for yourself. The information provided was not from the NCSA, it is research that has been published in leading peer reviewed, deaf education journals. loml also provided a link to the Gaulladet website where some of the information was found. None of those sources have the NCSA website in their url.

I will have something to add to this topic when it turns into a debate rather than a bashing, belittling thread. If this forum is any sort of a representation of Deaf culture I don't blame parents for not learning sign. I wouldn't want to expose my child to the belittling here.

Well, since you don;t have a deaf child, that is not a risk you take, now is it
And your refusal to get the topic back on course is simply evidence that your motive is not one of being productive.

You are as circular as loml. Neither one of you, as of yet, have shown comprehension. Simply memorization. Typical though.

jillio - Theoretically anyone attending post secondary school could make this claim. :afro:

And that shows that you obviously have no experience with post-secondary education, loml. One cannot be considered a Ph.D. candidate until one has completed the prerequisite degrees, and has been accpeted into a Ph.D. program. Again, total lack of comprehension of that which you profess to know.

You are the one that continues to make it hard for yourself, loml. If you rely on your experience, then please, enlighten us with your extensive knowledge gained through that experience and use your own words to explain theing and demonstrate that experience and knowledge. You continue to parrot.

Do you have anything to add to the topic Otherwise, this continual refusal of yours to demonstrate understanding and experience is taking yet another topic way off course.

jillio - I have shared my experiences, you discount them. I share research, you try to discount it. I am not going to repost information that is already on here and has already been discussed. There is a search option available for you on this board, I suggest you use it.

jillio - I have shared my experiences, you discount them. I share research, you try to discount it. I am not going to repost information that is already on here and has already been discussed. There is a search option available for you on this board, I suggest you use it.

Just as I thought. You cannot explain, on a sythesized level, a demonstrated knowledge of that which you profess to know.

Now, dear, back on topic. I have proven my point.

And that shows that you obviously have no experience with post-secondary education, loml. One cannot be considered a Ph.D. candidate until one has completed the prerequisite degrees, and has been accpeted into a Ph.D. program. Again, total lack of comprehension of that which you profess to know.

jillio - I said theoretically, did you miss that word?

Loml you deserve an Oscar! (Hands waving)! How have you been? Miss you!

I find it humorous that Jello, (oops, Jillio) finds the need to parrot the stuff she digs out of her "vast researches". She is not kidding any of us.

And since this forum is made up of mostly deaf persons, it would be to Jillio's advantage to leave out most of the one million dollar borrowed words. We can all smell a giant inferiority complex (and a phony) a forum away!

Chuckle,

Lantana

Just as I thought. You cannot explain, on a sythesized level, a demonstrated knowledge of that which you profess to know.

Now, dear, back on topic. I have proven my point.

jillio - Use the search option, make sure you use at least three letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back