Malingering

speaking of munchausen's, what is the difference between that and malingering?
Münchausen Syndrome is a psychological disorder. Most people with this actually induce illnesses for attention. They usually have good knowledge of medicine and illnesses that they know how to make it happen. Want a cold? Stand outside in the cold rain wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

Malingering isn't much of a psychological disorder, but more of something that's faked. I want to avoid a meeting. So, I tell my boss that I have a sudden case of explosive diarrhea. (I don't really have it.)

Sometimes depressed people come up with physical symptoms but that's differant.

the reason people suffering from depression come up with physical symptoms is because physical symptoms are caused by depression. some examples include fatigue, muscle aches, sore joints and headaches.

Münchausen Syndrome is a psychological disorder. Most people with this actually induce illnesses for attention. They usually have good knowledge of medicine and illnesses that they know how to make it happen. Want a cold? Stand outside in the cold rain wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

Malingering isn't much of a psychological disorder, but more of something that's faked. I want to avoid a meeting. So, I tell my boss that I have a sudden case of explosive diarrhea. (I don't really have it.)

thanks for the explanation, vampy.

the only thing i question about what you've said is whether or not malingering is a psychological disorder. i always thought that it was.

from what i understand, malingerers like reading medical journals as well since this is how they keep up to date on diagnoses and their symptomatology.

In the military, faking or exaggerating symptoms in order to avoid duty is called malingering, and is a punishable offense.

...but in the case nika described, no one is faking anything. they are simply lying about their symptoms.

I'm sorry about that, dreama. There's nothing worse than being falsely accused of malingering. I can totally relate--my eye doctors didn't believe me for 7 years. And you should have seen my doctor's reaction when he realized my eyes were ten times worse because he neglected to diagnose me. He felt so bad he paid for my glasses.

Thanks Nika. It's really hard when people don't believe you. (hugs) I'm glad they believed you eventually.

people who fake mental illness are just as bad (if not worse) than malingerers who feign other illnesses and disorders. <very mad>

off-topic...

dreama,

have you ever been checked by a doctor for fibromyalgia?

the reason people suffering from depression come up with physical symptoms is because physical symptoms are caused by depression. some examples include fatigue, muscle aches, sore joints and headaches.

That's true, but it doesn't stop people accusing them of malingering. Especially when they try to deny that their is anythin mentally wrong with them.

I get all these symtoms.

I can't believe anyone would malinger if their wasn't anything wrong with them. I mean people can be very unsypathetic if they think someone is malingering. Who would want that if they didn't have to?

As for pity. I don't even want it although I admit I like to be noticed.

speaking of munchausen's, what is the difference between that and malingering?

In Munchausen's, the person actually does something to create real physical symptoms of illness.

In hypochondria, the person is not sick, but actually believes they are.

In malingering, the person knows that they do not have the illness, and they do nothing to create actual symptoms. They study up on the illness, and then fake their description of the symptoms.

In the military, faking or exaggerating symptoms in order to avoid duty is called malingering, and is a punishable offense.

I was speaking as far as diagnostic criteria for the mental disorder.

In Munchausen's, the person actually does something to create real physical symptoms of illness.

In hypochondria, the person is not sick, but actually believes they are.

In malingering, the person knows that they do not have the illness, and they do nothing to create actual symptoms. They study up on the illness, and then fake their description of the symptoms.

whoa... excellent explanation of the differences. :ty:

people who fake mental illness are just as bad (if not worse) than malingerers who feign other illnesses and disorders. <very mad>

But why would anyone want to do that? You just get a lot of stigma. I wish I was just deafblind. Without the added depression.

I was speaking as far as diagnostic criteria for the mental disorder.
OK. I was using the definitions used by the dictionary and the military. They don't consider it a mental disorder.

ma·lin·ger (mə-lĭng'gər) Pronunciation Key
intr.v. ma·lin·gered, ma·lin·ger·ing, ma·lin·gers
To feign illness or other incapacity in order to avoid duty or work.

[From French malingre, sickly.]
ma·lin'ger·er n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

malingering

noun
evading duty or work by pretending to be incapacitated

Back