boys think I'm weird because of hearing aids?

P

poetryandpeace

So I'm a 16 year old deaf girl and I wear two hearing aids. I'm worried that guys won't like me or be attracted to me because of them. I'm worried people will think I'm weird or treat me differently because of it? I've never really cared about what other people think of my hearing aids but it's just kind of hit me that guys might think it's weird and stuff. :/

If the boys think it's weird, they aren't worth knowing. You will find some people who don't care that you have hearing aids but like you for who you are.

If a person is going to judge you for wearing hearing aids they're not worth your time of day. Do wear you hair long or short ? HA come in cool colors now and people are wearing all kind of phones in their ears . I wear a purple HA and ear mold and some people think it a phone.

Hearing aids is just like eyeglasses to me. Some boys might find it cool some might just be weirded out just because theyre not familiar with it like eyeglasses. The more they see one wearing hearing aids theyll get used to it. Its just a norm thing for people in general to feel weird seeing something new they havent seen before. Once they get used to the idea of something in your ear theyll see it part of you and see you for who you are. Its part of your identity.

Don't worry. I thought the same at one time. In the long run you will be happy to know. If they don't like you with your hearing aid, they probably are not worth your time. sometime it will take a person and time to know you. The ones you think don't like you probably do but they do not know how to approach you or talk to you. Make an effort to talk to someone you like. You will know the difference. You are young and beautiful. Say that to your self and let the boys come to you.

Be happy with who you are. It's normal to be insecure at that age. Honestly, ff you weren't thinking about HA, wouldn't there be something else (pimple, too tall, too short, …). :LOL: Like others have said, if people are openly jerks, they're doing you a favor because you know you don't have to think about being nice or caring about them; you can go on and write them off now.

It's who you are. And if they don't like it, too bad they're not worth your time. Trust me, you'll find someone who'll love and accept you! I was the same way, but then I realized "I am who I am, hearing aids are a part of my life. Why should I let someone judge me for two things in my ears that make me hear? It's like glasses, those who need them, wear them." If they don't know about the HAs, educate them.

Believe me, you'll find someone :D We weren't put on this planet to be alone.

Yeah, have been down that road. With use of Google, I don't think as many people will be asking you about HAs. If they're smart, they'll google it up before asking you. If people have to ask you, they are probably not very smart.

Just what Bott said, date a Deaf guy. If someone thinks they're "weird" or whatever.... they obviously aren't worth your time. I have dated two hearing people, but they were CODA's. So I have no clue about dating hearing people. :dunno2: However as I said, anyone who is willing to judge you for something you do or don't have, isn't worth your breath. :)

If they tell you something for it then they are not worth it. Well there might be people asking what it is and nit be all mean. You will find someone who will like you no mater what.

I've worn 2 hearing aids since I was 4 years old. I was always worried about how girls thought of me when I was in school. It is natural to worry about how you are perceived, and if it wasn't your hearing aids, you would be worried about something else.

When I started dating, I quickly found out that my hearing aids were the last thing my date was thinking about - they were attracted to me based on other qualities I had. Stay positive and everyone else mentioned something that is true - if someone rejects you based on you having hearing aids, they are not worth your time. they also have a lot of growing up to do, and you shouldn't waste your time watching them grow up.

Does the Deaf School have a summer program? Maybe you could go there and meet some other deaf guys to be boyfriends with.(and note....suggesting a summer program as a supplement is very different from attending it...Even kids who do very well can often benifit from Dhh specific supplemental stuff)....I know how it is....the experts who push Inclusion at ALL costs really don't seem to see the fact that it's really hard for kids who are "different" to break into the mainstream.......They also think the mainstream is something like "Gosh a rootie! Let's all go down for a malted at Bob's after Bible Study!" You know....something out of a clean cut Hollywood movie.
Also seems like hearing people think of us as asexual, or "great for friends,but it's very hard to break into something more".....maybe looking into Deaf community stuff might help you....Or maybe you could start a Deaf social group for dhh kids in your area.

Guys like CONFIDENCE way more than they like ears without hearing aids in them. Rock whatever you are... the right guy will see that you love your life for what it is and be attracted to what you can offer.

Marry Deaf...

The OP is only 16 yo , I think she may just want to date a boy not marry him. HA are so much smaller today , and hard to see if a person has long hair. It was hard to hide a HA the size of pack of playing cards wore under your dress . I wonder if the OP join any of after school activities , that might help her meet kids and it may help her not worry about her HA. The more is she worried about what people think it will only people feel uncomfortable being around her.

Guys like CONFIDENCE way more than they like ears without hearing aids in them. Rock whatever you are... the right guy will see that you love your life for what it is and be attracted to what you can offer.

This is exactly what I was going to write, well not exactly but at least the gist of it.

And plus, there are guys like me, who don't exactly want the stereotype beautiful girl perfect girl. People who don't want fake breast, fake nose and silicon lips but a real person, with a real heart, with her own real challenges like most of us have. Some guys, like I do, find sign language very sexy. I don't know if you speak sign language but I find the people who do tend to have more expressive body language. An expressive body language is definitely a plus.

As far as you hearing aids are concerned, don't worry about it. I have a shaved head and few people ever notice. I must admit that it largely depends on the size and color. Some guys might actually find them cool. Your deafness make you an exotic woman, which is also attractive for many.

Really, PoetryAndPeace, be confident with whoever you are and someone will be attracted. Smile, make eye contact, have a confident body language, make jokes, be happy. Someone looking for happiness will find your the way to your heart.

First of all, don't feel forced to find a deaf/HOH boyfriend just cos you are. Get yourself out there, widen your options.

Now you most probably will get some guys asking you a ton of questions about your hearing aids, don't react badly to it, just answer their questions as nicely as you can. At the end of the day, they're only interested. The way I see it, its better that they ask you questions instead of acting aloof and avoiding you.

First of all, don't feel forced to find a deaf/HOH boyfriend just cos you are. Get yourself out there, widen your options.

Now you most probably will get some guys asking you a ton of questions about your hearing aids, don't react badly to it, just answer their questions as nicely as you can. At the end of the day, they're only interested. The way I see it, its better that they ask you questions instead of acting aloof and avoiding you.
In this forum, we come from all walks of life and span the life/age range. I understand truly where you are coming from. I agree with this posting. Just because you wear HAs, doesn't mean you focus on deaf/HoH guys. It's your choice and you may limit yourself due to your own insecurities.

I was your age, I think :) . I had major insecurities because of my HAs. But, I dated Paul B. at a 9th grade dance (my stepmother taught me the box step), and dated hearing people. Take a very important note - I allowed my HAs to hold me back for some years. When I stopped doing that, I felt better and much more secure about myself. I hung out with hearing kids (I grew up in a hearing world/culture as I didn't know there were other options) who accepted me for who I was (and that's what the other folks are saying here).

Trust me. Question for you - what is your hearing loss or speech recognition score with your HAs on?

Peace,
-- Sheri

Last edited:
Back