Evidence that historically deaf kids were thought of as mentally disabled

I never implied that it was......Just that I think that Deaf ed needs to be an OPTION among many....I don't think ALL dhh kids should attend Deaf School,and be locked into that as the only option......But I do think we need to reconize that a one size fits all approach (public school inclusion) is just as bad as saying that all dhh kids should attend deaf school.....the key needs to be offering a variety of approaches, and making sure that inclusion doesn't mean a ton of kids falling through the cracks......

I wasn't quoting you....some respondents have been poo poohing the idea that deaf ed is still in the dark ages....that this and that doesn't happen anymore.....I'm saying don't think deaf ed is this wonderful thing to write home about. I also am not about to do any citing to back up what I say which is basically those in their ivory towers (in deaf ed) all across this land don't know what they are doing, talking about for the most part. The recent trend is back to the Alexander Graham Bell of olden days taking root.

I wasn't quoting you....some respondents have been poo poohing the idea that deaf ed is still in the dark ages....that this and that doesn't happen anymore.....I'm saying don't think deaf ed is this wonderful thing to write home about. I also am not about to do any citing to back up what I say which is basically those in their ivory towers (in deaf ed) all across this land don't know what they are doing, talking about for the most part. The recent trend is back to the Alexander Graham Bell of olden days taking root.

But a certain parent of a deaf kid is no longer here anymore ;) Yes, Deaf ed has a LONG way to go........There are some bright spots.....kids from Deaf Schools getting a free ride to Gally,RMDS,....parents moving so their kids can attend Texas School or Maryland School for the Deaf.....And its not like the mainstream/inclusion is any better.....it sucks!!!!

I have no comment on Deaf Ed...I already said more than enough here on AD and I will always continue to support the ASL/Bilingual approach over other approaches because of the respect children's deaf needs.

Also if we had a few tweaks to the system, deaf ed would be so much better...It really is a hidden gem....and the BIGGEST reason it sucks overall, is b/c unfortuantly deaf schools have served as dumping grounds.Kids who started out from preschool/early elementary school do very well.
Require well trained TODs who are fluent in ASL, have good speech therapy services,and voice on periods,on par curriclum and you'll have a pretty good set up.....Also offer dhh programs with simlair resources......then you'd have a pretty good education system.......

Also if we had a few tweaks to the system, deaf ed would be so much better...It really is a hidden gem....and the BIGGEST reason it sucks overall, is b/c unfortuantly deaf schools have served as dumping grounds.Kids who started out from preschool/early elementary school do very well.
Require well trained TODs who are fluent in ASL, have good speech therapy services,and voice on periods,on par curriclum and you'll have a pretty good set up.....Also offer dhh programs with simlair resources......then you'd have a pretty good education system.......

The problem is that these audist groups continue to interfere with their quote , "Hearing is freedom." :barf:

The problem is that these audist groups continue to interfere with their quote , "Hearing is freedom." :barf:

I KNOW..........Unfortuantly dhh kids can only ever have partial access to the hearing world.........hearing and speech is like a foriegn language for us.

that is so scary to think of being deaf without any language of communication. It would be like being trapped in a prison inside a prison

I was born deaf in 1945, the doctors never gave me hearing tests. They assumed that I had autism condition. My mother told me that. When I went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, my mother took me to the University of Minnesota hospital and the doctors gave me brain tests plus hearing tests, too. He finally told my mother that I am deaf at the age of 8 years old. Then I went to the handicapped elementary school for one year (1954) before going into the mainstream elementary school where there were no ASL. It was all Special Ed both in elementary and junior high school. I hate Special Ed very much because I could not understand them by lipreading them. I was lost in lipreading. I want to throw up at them. I wanted to go into Deaf school so bad where there are Deaf (or hearing teachers that know how to sign ASL) teachers to teach us about subjects.

Hearing teachers in the mainstream schools would looked at us for being mentally retarded or autistic. I have tried to explained to the high school principal, that I wanted ASL so that I can understand what was going on in the hearing classrooms. He and the hearing teachers all turned their deaf ears when I protest.

We, me and deaf classmates, were not getting the treatment. Some of my classmates later went to Gally and they were lucky. I did not get to go into Gally because they told me I should have taken Algebra in order to get in. I thought that was a crock but I did not say anything to them. I was very disappointed and hurt feeling depression when they told me like that. Why are hearing people put me down? It hurts when I could not get my dreams of what I could accomplish some of the careers that I can be successful with. It had been like that over the years.

For deaf kids, I would rather have them go to the Deaf schools where there are Deaf and some hearing teachers sign ASL while teaching them about subject like Math, Science, English and other wonderful subjects that they are hungry to learn. Mainstream schools suck big time. :mad:

YES............that's basicly a HUGE part of the problem.......Dhh kids getting lumped in with special ed in the mainstream.People thought "Oh deaf schools suck........let's get the kids out of there to hearing/mainstream schools and they'll do MUCH better." Problem is that with the exception of the small number of minimal accomondations sucesses, there are still low expections in the mainstream.........It's a FACT that most teachers (including sped) teachers do not have a lot of experiance teaching dhh kids......
For inclusion to work well it seems like there needs to be a perfect storm of circumstances......

Back