advice?

HOH33stars

Reaction score
I'm 22 and I just recently found out from a friend that someone I was very close to in high school was diagnosed with a brain tumor and it "doesn't look good" since it's inoperable...so i'm told. This friend I was extremely close to, but since I moved and we all went to college, I had lost her contact information so we haven't spoken for a good 4 years. This other friend gave me the contact information so I can contact my friend...however what do I say? I'm rather upset hearing the news...and I want to contact her, but what do I write in the card? I don't want it to seem like the only reason i'm contacting her is because i heard she has a brain tumor...but i do want to offer support. We're over 600 miles away, or i'd go and visit her instead of sending a card...
In any case...advise? What do i write?

If you are very close to your friend from high school, then you should visit your friend and cherish your friend. Make your friend think that you are there and care for your friend.

If you are very close to your friend from high school, then you should visit your friend and cherish your friend. Make your friend think that you are there and care for your friend.

I would visit her in a heartbeat if I had the money to travel 600+ miles to see her! Unfortunately right now it's not an option...

I'm 22 and I just recently found out from a friend that someone I was very close to in high school was diagnosed with a brain tumor and it "doesn't look good" since it's inoperable...so i'm told. This friend I was extremely close to, but since I moved and we all went to college, I had lost her contact information so we haven't spoken for a good 4 years. This other friend gave me the contact information so I can contact my friend...however what do I say? I'm rather upset hearing the news...and I want to contact her, but what do I write in the card? I don't want it to seem like the only reason i'm contacting her is because i heard she has a brain tumor...but i do want to offer support. We're over 600 miles away, or i'd go and visit her instead of sending a card...
In any case...advise? What do i write?

First of all, a belated welcome to alldeaf!

Secondly, I commend you for wanting to contact your friend at this very difficult time for her. I know if you google what to say to someone that has terminal cancer, you will find a whole slew of information. The best advice I can give you is to be yourself and write that you have just come into contact information on her and you've thought a lot of her since high school (not a lie, as you actually have). Apologize for not keeping in better contact and tell her what's going on in your life (a snapshot, not a life history with an exam to follow, if you catch my drift). Now, you may want to inquire about a rumor you heard about her having "some sort of cancer that you don't recall" and ask her about it. This should not be in the first sentence or first paragraph of your hand written letter. It's okay to ask what the prognosis is and what's going on with it and how she is feeling. Please include your phone number and the best time to reach you so you two can talk for awhile. Remember that if you do this on your cell, after what time do you have free calls, as you'll cherish that.

Hope that helps. :)

Secondly, I commend you for wanting to contact your friend at this very difficult time for her. I know if you google what to say to someone that has terminal cancer, you will find a whole slew of information. The best advice I can give you is to be yourself and write that you have just come into contact information on her and you've thought a lot of her since high school (not a lie, as you actually have). Apologize for not keeping in better contact and tell her what's going on in your life (a snapshot, not a life history with an exam to follow, if you catch my drift). Now, you may want to inquire about a rumor you heard about her having "some sort of cancer that you don't recall" and ask her about it. This should not be in the first sentence or first paragraph of your hand written letter. It's okay to ask what the prognosis is and what's going on with it and how she is feeling. Please include your phone number and the best time to reach you so you two can talk for awhile. Remember that if you do this on your cell, after what time do you have free calls, as you'll cherish that.

That really helps me out a lot! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Write a letter about your life right now, and ask her how was she doing, try to keep her updated about you and herself. She right now knows she is dying and she would want to know about her families and friends mostly. Also tell her that you are hoping that she will get better. Show how you care about her :)

My rest in peace aunt had a cancer and I went there to visit her, she was very happy to see me, but she was also sad about her suffer. She just want to get in touch with everyone she know and apologized to some of her families.

:gpost: Pete! :)

And welcome to AD, 33stars! :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)
I definitely need to post more-I tend to lurk around the boards and not talk much haha! You guys are so awesome!

Back