parents - overwhelmed and undereducated

no you are wrong. he have many choices. Such like as JSL, SSL, and diffrent language. Even learn how to speak. I have no problem with that.

OP asked for an "ASL - approved" signing method and Bott was simply replying that ASL is the only choice. And she is right. Other signing method is not ASL approved.

heartwarming news

Congratulations on your beautiful child.

Enjoy each moment with your baby.

I am profoundly Deaf and come from a large Deaf family.

I smiled when I read your wee one loving to hum himself while falling asleep because this is what I do. I hum and I hum as a form of comfort. It's the vibrations that's soothing.

If you have a chance to go to a deaf social setting, focus on the noises. Watch how some deaf people hug each other, they do hum when they hug. It's called "throaty hugs", it's comforting because as babies, parents would hum when rocking or burping.

Babies would rely on vibrations in place of sound. Your wee one has probably picked up on this hum from you and knows it is soothing/comforting. It's very sweet.

The high pitch yelling/talking is natural in our community. We can't hear the pitch pitch or the shriek magnitude. As toddlers, we enjoy the attention we attract with this so you can imagine how much your wee one is enjoying all the attention he's attracting with his vocal box.

If possible, start signing milk when you bottle feed/breastfeed him. He will grasp the concept of feeding.

Sign milk equals feeding/hungry time

Next thing is to introduce Mommy and Daddy.

Mommy and Daddy - you and Daddy ,, baby will know the name sign of his parents.

I truly wish you the best and know you and baby will do just fine in this community.

I know for some it would be quite scary to hear that sort of news, that it is a common phenomenon among the deaf community to hum. And I would be lying if I said that I am not a little saddened to hear it though. BUT. I do realize that my baby can sooth himself, that gives me hope. I now know that no matter what he. Can take care of himself. That is for a dad my only mission, to have my boys grow up strong and independent, (then pay me back) LOL. I now see that every night as I hold him and sing, as well as hum, to him that it brings him comfort. But at the same time I hold and rock him, he returns The favor and soothes me also.

I know for some it would be quite scary to hear that sort of news, that it is a common phenomenon among the deaf community to hum. And I would be lying if I said that I am not a little saddened to hear it though. BUT. I do realize that my baby can sooth himself, that gives me hope. I now know that no matter what he. Can take care of himself. That is for a dad my only mission, to have my boys grow up strong and independent, (then pay me back) LOL. I now see that every night as I hold him and sing, as well as hum, to him that it brings him comfort. But at the same time I hold and rock him, he returns The favor and soothes me also.

You just brought tears to my eyes reading this.

Some parents will grieve their babies' hearing loss and it is quite understandable. I do not blame them at all.

I truly applaud you for your beautiful insight about the Deaf community because you already have an open mind and an open heart about your son's future. You're very honest already and you're accepting of what your son and his traits are. This is so important for all of us- an act from a hearing parent to show caring acceptance.

I thank you humbly. :ily:

OP asked for an "ASL - approved" signing method and Bott was simply replying that ASL is the only choice. And she is right. Other signing method is not ASL approved.

I understood the OPs comment to mean they wanted an ASL based system, not a 'babysigns' or home made signing system.

And, no, ASL is not the only choice.

I wouldn't be too sad about it.

Both of my girls hum. My older daughter is hearing and hums while eating and when concentrating. My younger who is deaf also hums when she's falling asleep and brushing her teeth/hair. Even my husband, who's hearing, hums while he's shaving. The phenomenon is not limited to those with hearing loss and is not indicitive of anything.

I understood the OPs comment to mean they wanted an ASL based system, not a 'babysigns' or home made signing system.

yes, that's how I took it too. But I was just responding to deafninja. SEE, PSE, CUED, etc. are English based signing system, not ASL-approved :D

o have my boys grow up strong and independent,
and he WILL with the help of speech therapy and ASL!!!!
Another idea might be to contact the Texas Association of the Deaf and see if they have a Deaf mentor program where a Deaf/CODA adult comes to your house to serve as a native Sign model.I know that Texas is very hoh friendly with their Deaf ed....one of my Texas hoh friends was in a dhh regional program.

In all, they going to have to do a lot of research what they want. ASL is the language that the deaf speak, but it lacks the grammar that the hearing world writes and speaks in. Last I was told, there are 9 different sign languages in the states alone(which is one thing I have to explain to everyone I work with about other countries as well). I know ASL, English sign and CUED are the highest on the list. It mostly depends what kind of school they want to send their child too. My wife was upset cause she wanted to go to a public school and learn English sign(her grammar was bad when I met her). My best friend loved the public school, but had to learn ASL before going to college, but she learned grammar before going to college.

In reality, it comes down to how the child can learn the best with. If he a fast learner, then one way might be better then the other. If he takes a while to learn, then another way might be better. It not something that we can go and say, "This is the way to go" or "your better off doing this." It more long the lines, how fast does your child take in info and learn. It best to learn English sign for hearing ppl, cause the grammar in signing is a lot different in ASL then in English Sign. Also, ASL easier to learn as well cause it short to the point, but it is not signed the same way we talk.

In all, they going to have to do a lot of research what they want. ASL is the language that the deaf speak, but it lacks the grammar that the hearing world writes and speaks in. Last I was told, there are 9 different sign languages in the states alone(which is one thing I have to explain to everyone I work with about other countries as well). I know ASL, English sign and CUED are the highest on the list. It mostly depends what kind of school they want to send their child too. My wife was upset cause she wanted to go to a public school and learn English sign(her grammar was bad when I met her). My best friend loved the public school, but had to learn ASL before going to college, but she learned grammar before going to college.

In reality, it comes down to how the child can learn the best with. If he a fast learner, then one way might be better then the other. If he takes a while to learn, then another way might be better. It not something that we can go and say, "This is the way to go" or "your better off doing this." It more long the lines, how fast does your child take in info and learn. It best to learn English sign for hearing ppl, cause the grammar in signing is a lot different in ASL then in English Sign. Also, ASL easier to learn as well cause it short to the point, but it is not signed the same way we talk.

That is like saying French lacks the grammar that American speaks.

ASL is its own language and it should never be compared to English.

What ASL system besides ASL do you know? :confused:

wait, how did ASL get to be a system? I thought ASL was a language

wait, how did ASL get to be a system? I thought ASL was a language

Poor vocabulary choice on my part.

I just want to know what besides ASL, weebeastie thinks is ASL> From the OP's question of what they must learn for sign that is "asl approved".

As I indicated earlier, I assumed the OP was looking for an ASL based sign system (systems which use signs from the ASL vocabulary - PSE, SEE, CASE), as opposed to the other non-ASL systems (Cue, 'babysigns', faux sign).

There are systems out there, mostly alternative babysigns systems designed for hearing infants/toddlers, that don't use ASL signs (or anything even similar). Some even tell you to make up your own signs. Can you imagine spending 3, 6, 9 months teaching and using one of these only to find out it's all gibberish?

Because ASL is not an entity and does not 'approve' systems/curriculums, it's up to the family to figure most of this out (our EI 'experts' were useless in this aspect. I had to teach the SLP signs, never mind ask for advice). There ARE options. I think it's important to leave the options open for the family to choose as they wish. We can provide them with stacks of info and our opinions, but I think it's our responsibility to remember that there is more than one way to go about this and support them in that manner.

BTW, our lil miracle, when you meet with your EI folks, INSIST on a Teacher of the Deaf being added to the team. They'll probably tell you Speech/Language Pathologist is enough, but don't back down. They play two completely different roles.

Poor vocabulary choice on my part.

I just want to know what besides ASL, weebeastie thinks is ASL> From the OP's question of what they must learn for sign that is "asl approved".

WeeBeastie used the word "System" too.

ASL is the language that the deaf speak, but it lacks the grammar that the hearing world writes and speaks in.
Just to clarify, they do have a grammar....but it's different from English. ASL users have ESL issues. Look at speakers of other languages who use English. They make a lot of the same errors in syntax and grammar as do ASLers.

Just to clarify, they do have a grammar....but it's different from English. ASL users have ESL issues. Look at speakers of other languages who use English. They make a lot of the same errors in syntax and grammar as do ASLers.

I just find it amazing how ASL user can understand each other's writing.
Sometimes people don't understand mine because it is not correct as far as English.

Is it not the correct usage of the word? If they're not languages, what should they be called? :confused:

I believe the word A was discussing was "system". I am just a deaf grandmother.

Why you are asking me about "languages" , I have no idea. Obviously yes ASL is a language.

If you are just trying to start a fight with me, I am not Jillio, so you should just try another target.

If you want to discuss semantics, Shel would be a better choice as she is highly educated.

Back