A New Travel Trailer As My Home

Yes, there is 4, 5, 7 prongs plug to connect trailer to vehicle, I have em all factory installed on my truck. All I do is just hook up and drive away in less than 10 minutes.

I'd double check that.... If towing anything over 3k lbs, many newer trucks dont have the proprietary fuses for electric brakes controller part of towing package installed. It needs to be purchased separately at the dealer - its not available at the local auto store. The older trucks/vehicles you can just wire it up the old fashioned way with separate controller which I prefer like the max brake controller.

I have done quite a few trucks/van/cars wiring them up and I'll tell ya - its no fun when the manufacturer likes to change the game plan all the time.

Yeah, what I am saying is that I have the electric brake system factory installed as oppose as add on. When it comes to add on, yeah it sucks to install as factory changes all the time.

Like this in photo, exact what I have already installed.

towcom.jpg

I even have these 4 upfitter switch for anything, like siren flash light, etc. I did add for bed lights and rear view camera.

I'd double check that.... If towing anything over 3k lbs, many newer trucks dont have the proprietary fuses for electric brakes controller part of towing package installed. It needs to be purchased separately at the dealer - its not available at the local auto store. The older trucks/vehicles you can just wire it up the old fashioned way with separate controller which I prefer like the max brake controller.

I have done quite a few trucks/van/cars wiring them up and I'll tell ya - its no fun when the manufacturer likes to change the game plan all the time.

Do you want to rent the property or buy it to keep your trailer on ? I would drive around and check the trailer parks and see how they're taken care of. And see what kind of people are living in the park. I had clients that lived in trailer parks and some where really poorly ran and the people where very tough looking. As you know the value of a trailer does not increase like in owning a house so you should think about how long you plan to live in the trailer, it is for long term or short term and how much money you want invest in it. If want to have a dog or already have a dog you should see if dogs are allowed and where you take to do it business. This link give you tips on what to think about moving into a trailer park.
I would call the police if you do find a trailer park to find out how bad the crime rate is.
http://voices.yahoo.com/beware-trailer-park-trap-real-estate-tips-for-335392.html

One thing you will have to consider is your permanent address.

Just went to a RV show on Sunday...man, there are some reeeaaallly nice RVs out there. Some 5th wheels are bigger than my living room!!!! Wow! I feel like moving I to one now. Lol

Yep, a lot of those suckers are HUGE, a good reason for the Big Three to upsize their super cab pickups all the way around, as several of the big trailers weigh several thousand pounds. I'm just waiting to see how things work out later this year to decide which way I'm going: stay small enough for my Jeep to pull it, allowing me to go where I want, when I want; or go up to one of these that I can afford for more room, but I have to rent a truck if I move from job to job in different cities or even across town.

I've lived in a flatbed trailer I think it was an 14 ft one bed trailer and got a lifetime membership at 24 hr gym to use for shower and restroom. Parked it on someone's back yard and paid 100$ for electricity and phone line. Sure helped being able to save up $ .
Also lived in a 27 ft trailer at a trailer park. Learned Walmart. Allows free parking overnight. As well as some trailer stores. And getting the state and national parks discount card for being deaf allows 50% off regular parking fees at state and national parks. Some allow u to live there 3 weeks and wait a week to go back and live another 3 weeks. So its all about how u want to use em. A generator helps for those areas with no full hook ups.
Fiberglass trailers are lighter than the old wood models. So u can do the math and see how much weight ur jeep pulls if need to rent a truck etc.
Hope some of this info helps ya.

No. What you have to decide is how much money you want to spend on it. From there... you start choosing it down to fit what you're looking for. You can buy one for under a grand or you can buy one for $300,000+. What's your budget. Also factor in your rebuilding skill level into the costs if you go that way.

Well, that is very true, however, when you are buying from a dealer, the first thing the dealer will ask is, "What kind of vehicle you have." They know by the type of vehicle you have. Year, model, and engine. The larger it is and newer it is, the more towing weight the larger your vehicle needs. Of course the dealer will ask you how much money.

To determined what you need, you need to keep in mind the size, the cost, how well it is built, things like that. You know how much you want to spend. Then you have to remember that the Dealer will add on other expenses such as what it is called, "Document Fees" plus shipping fees, as well as prep fees. Quite a bit of expenses. If you want to be budget minded then you are better off buying a used one perhaps from a private owner than a dealer. True!

When you are a dealer, first they ask you the size of your vehicle then budget right off bat. They should know their inventory. We have two RVs and I made great deal with a dealer buying a used one for 2500 dollars, a 2001 Prowler with seven YEARS of winter storage FREE thrown in the deal WITHOUT trade in because we love our 2005 Scamp 13' Trailer. We needed a bigger one for guests but also for study for our company.

So, play hard ball with dealers like this.

To find out used vehicle weight, research about it online such as Kelley Blue Book for the value and weight as well. Since you are buying travel trailer and not a park trailer or a manufactured single-wide and use as live-year-round, go for slide out models. There are many slide-outs available. Remember, with Slide-outs, they weight more than non-slide-outs that are made for weekenders.

A little educational tool for you. GVWR means Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is overall weight including full tanks of fresh water, grey water, and black water plus your own needs in the trailer. Dry weight or shipping weight (depends on manufacturers say on their website or brochures), that is what you need to know for your vehicle.

What kind of vehicle you have? Yes, I am asking you! Haha. I can be a big help for you if you want to. Please contact me privately in here if you need to ask privately or be in the open here.

Just went to a RV show on Sunday...man, there are some reeeaaallly nice RVs out there. Some 5th wheels are bigger than my living room!!!! Wow! I feel like moving I to one now. Lol

Oh I know!! I just went to 2013 PRVCA America's Biggest RV Show Industry Days and the 2013 Louisville (KY) RVIA National RV Show. They got real awesome RVs today! Far cry from your grandfather's Winnebago F-17 model (The one with the "Flying W" logo on the sidewalls and the wedge nose).

Beautiful graphics, more room, dark stain wood, more real wood, nice countertop like Corian and granite stone, real ceramic tiles, oh! Double baths! You name it! Beautiful! Right now, we have our first trailer, the 17 foot Ring-Billed Gull-Winged trailer for camping inside out and other purposes, check my website for more information. Someday built those Fivers (Fifth Wheels) and Motorhomes.

I enjoyed the show! Beautiful stuff! I see all the time in RV Pro and RV Business magazines. Awesome! Someday we at SGRV Co will have those luxurious vehicles being sold at the dealer nearest you.

Do you want to rent the property or buy it to keep your trailer on ? I would drive around and check the trailer parks and see how they're taken care of. And see what kind of people are living in the park. I had clients that lived in trailer parks and some where really poorly ran and the people where very tough looking. As you know the value of a trailer does not increase like in owning a house so you should think about how long you plan to live in the trailer, it is for long term or short term and how much money you want invest in it. If want to have a dog or already have a dog you should see if dogs are allowed and where you take to do it business. This link give you tips on what to think about moving into a trailer park.
I would call the police if you do find a trailer park to find out how bad the crime rate is.
Beware the Trailer Park Trap! Real Estate Tips for Mobile Home Owners - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I understand that and know how it is. Trailer parks are big difference than RV parks which are more expensive and much neater, cleaner, and has better reputation than a "trailer park" Trailer Parks are usually made for manufactured and modular homes.

There is a better solution he can use. Stay at a state park up to two weeks (in NYS, you can stay up to two weeks then you can relocate to another state park for another two weeks, on and on). If he can compare the cost between state park and a trailer park, good for him he can stay at state park. Here in NYS, it is about 21 dollars a day. Trailer parks can be 150 dollars or more but they do not have HOA or anything like that to keep well maintenance and security.

If you need security, an RV Park is best bet. Again, expensive! If you want to shave cost, try "workamping" That means you work for the park for a discount or someplace nearby.

I know of an RV park in AZ allows that but also they have good deal--something like 350 dollars for entire winter (three months) to park there.

You have to do homework for that. You can also join membership such as KOA and Good Sam. They give discounts.

Often people get confused what RV really means. RV is a generic word for ALL kinds, types of Recreational Vehicle, Travel trailer, you can find under RV! Check Craigslist, you will find travel trailer under RV.

If you go to DMV and register travel trailer, it is still considered a vehicle to them and it falls under recreational category so hence "Recreational Vehicle" Even you know ATV, it is still called RV too.

You may assume RV as motorhome, even though you are right that Motor home is a RV, so is travel trailer a RV too.

I'm not getting an RV, but a travel trailer.

Still disagree? Google Wiki for "Recreational Vehicle" and you will see information there.

Often people get confused what RV really means. RV is a generic word for ALL kinds, types of Recreational Vehicle, Travel trailer, you can find under RV! Check Craigslist, you will find travel trailer under RV.

If you go to DMV and register travel trailer, it is still considered a vehicle to them and it falls under recreational category so hence "Recreational Vehicle" Even you know ATV, it is still called RV too.

You may assume RV as motorhome, even though you are right that Motor home is a RV, so is travel trailer a RV too.

Still disagree? Google Wiki for "Recreational Vehicle" and you will see information there.

Diehard is correct. Recreational Vehicle is a genetic term for any vehicles that have motion. Recreational Vehicle is a vehicle that houses living conditions on wheels. Even Modular and Manufactured Homes are Recreational Vehicles! Some states will state that.

Now, if you know the differences in RVs, great! There are Pop-ups Trailers, they are cranked up with canvas wall like a tent on wheels. Travel Trailers are towables--towed by a motorized vehicle. Utility Trailer is, cargo like that U-Haul Trailers you seen around or landscapers have. It is also called Cargo Trailers.

Horse Trailers, the name clearly stated that--carry horses. Party Trailer is a new term coined by our suppliers that has inside out living condition-kitchen and dinette with a bathroom. Toy Hauler is a towable with a garage ramp or patio deck added. You can store your bike or snowmobile in the trailer and still have living conditions such as kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.

Fifth Wheels or known as Fivers in the community, they are over-the-bed of truck hauling towable trailer. They tow differently than Travel Trailers but similar living conditions.

Motor Home class A Motor Coach is bus converted or bus sized vehicle with living needs instead of rows of seats. Class A Basement is basement model where you can store your stuff. Diesel Pushers are Class A Motor Home with motor usually mounted in rear. Class B is Van Conversion. Remember its popularity in 1970's? Class C Motor Home is Mini-Motor Home. That kind has a bed or storage above the van chassis cab or truck chassis cab.

Hope the explanation is clear for you to know the difference. Wiki is good site to learn about it as well as other sites.

Back