Please tell Blu-Ray to support Closed Caption CC

Well I went to Best Buy and spoke to two salesmen. Apparently neither one knew what SDH was and never heard of it :( so I explained what it was. They said the Blu Ray players don't need CC or SDH because the DVD discs should be responsible to have it and that the Blu Ray discs already have CC and subtitles. I explained the difference between CC and subtitles also. So part of the problem is that even the salesmen don't know enough to help the deaf and Hearing Impaired who aren't aware or educated enough to know which products are right and available for them. People like me.

I put my DVD discs in a Panasonic DVD player and one had SDH the other didn't. I see the difference between subtitles and SDH. I like CC better because I can change the size, etc but not with SDH. Episode 1 wasn't CC or SDH on the disc and I didn't get CC or SDH when I played the first episode. When I put in the DVD disc of the 3rd episode that had SDH it worked and I got to read what they were saying and the background sounds were on it too. So when the DVD disc doesn't have it then it makes no difference which DVD player it's in. With out the discs having CC or SDH accessibility the player can't show it. So it looks to me like both have to have either CC or SDH not just the disc and not just the player.

I really don't see why all DVD and Blu Ray players don't have CC and SDH in any and all languages people want. This way we all could watch any movie, tv show from any era. Youtube, Blackberrie, PS3 and all our devices should have CC or SDH accessible. I don't understand why they aren't automatically accessible it's like telling a blind person hey we have the book you want it's just not going to be in braille or Audio but hey we have it.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.

To the bold

From what I found out if the dvd disc doesn't have CC or SDH then the dvd player and/or Blu Ray player encrypted or not won't play the discs. I put two different types of discs in a Panasonic dvd player tonight, an older model. It played with SDH when the dvd disc came with it. The dvd disc that didn't have CC or SDH didn't show CC or SDH when played on the same played on the same Panasonic DVD player.

We have to check the discs to make sure the have it too or the above products won't be any much good to us.

Last edited:
This whole concept about CC and SDH is very confusing (not necessarily complicated).

Supernaturalfan,

Please specify exactly what kind of TV (Manufacturer and model #), DVD or Blu-ray player. Does your TV have HDMI or DVI connector? Also, how is your Blu-ray/DVD player connected to the TV? Is it connected using HDMI, DVI, component (three video cables), composite (single RCA cable) or S-video (single but multi-pins cable)?

The way the cables are connected really matters for CC. It does not matter for SDH because the player will transmit SDH regardless of cable connection. But CC CANNOT be transmited via HDMI, DVI and sometimes component. If you are using component cables, you must set the DVD player to "Interlace" or "non-progressive" scan and you just might be able to see CC.

I cannot explain why you are having difficulty without knowing how your entertainment equipment. Bottom line please give us manufacturer and model number of all you equipment including TV and players and how are they connected.

Thanks,
Peter

This whole concept about CC and SDH is very confusing (not necessarily complicated).

Supernaturalfan,

Please specify exactly what kind of TV (Manufacturer and model #), DVD or Blu-ray player. Does your TV have HDMI or DVI connector? Also, how is your Blu-ray/DVD player connected to the TV? Is it connected using HDMI, DVI, component (three video cables), composite (single RCA cable) or S-video (single but multi-pins cable)?

The way the cables are connected really matters for CC. It does not matter for SDH because the player will transmit SDH regardless of cable connection. But CC CANNOT be transmited via HDMI, DVI and sometimes component. If you are using component cables, you must set the DVD player to "Interlace" or "non-progressive" scan and you just might be able to see CC.

I cannot explain why you are having difficulty without knowing how your entertainment equipment. Bottom line please give us manufacturer and model number of all you equipment including TV and players and how are they connected.

Thanks,
Peter

Hey Peter,

Thank You for trying to help me. I have no clue how I connected the blu ray player to the tv except I used all the connectors except one yellow one. I have the HDMI in the back of my Samsung and had it in the back of the Blu ray player. I say had because I returned the Blu Ray player since I could only get subtitles in other languages. Even the DVD with SDH/English wouldn't allow me to see English subtitles.

When I go back to Best Buy I will get a Panasonic DVD player no idea what kind yet but not blu ray even if they have it. I don't want Blu Ray since it doesn't work for me. I also don't need to see every pimple, wrinkle and tired eye lines on the actors so I can live without Blu Ray as long as they keep making regular DVD Players and discs with CC or SDH. I'm so afraid that what ever Panasonic I get won't have what I need. I bought those DVD's and I really want them to work with CC or SDH at least the one's that have SDH. Series 2 &3 do but Series 1 doesn't. So my best bet is get a regular DVD Player with either CC or Subtitles, SDH which ever it has and dammit make sure from now on any and all DVD's I buy have CC or SDH in English or I don't buy them!!!. I think eventually I'm going to have to hire geek squad to hook up my computer to my TV so I can watch downloaded videos with SDH or CC on the TV. So far my Windows Media Player is great with CC :) I'm a computer dummy and have no clue how the hell to hook everything up and worst programming them. The book with pictures helps but that's about it.

Why does it have to be so complicated? why can't we just put one freaking plug from TV to DVD Player to Cable/Fios? Why can't the dvd or Blu Ray player just freaking have what we need like the TV's do? dammit someone somewhere made an oversight when the Blu Ray Players were designed or engineered. Shit the Blu Ray Players and discs should be recalled so they can put the CC in them like the TV's have them.

I am not sure how I can help you since you provided little information about your setup.

I never once had issues with DVD or Blu-ray discs regarding to SDH. Every single one of them provided subtitles or SDH in English. There was one set of DVD disc that didn't provide subtitles or SDH in English. It was a Showtime series called "Dexter" and I borrowed the DVD set from a friend. But it had CC. I used my home-built computer to play DVD or Blu-ray movies via DVI (same as HDMI) and use Cyberlink PowerDVD software to transmit CC (not subtitles or SDH) over DVI cable. It seems Panasonic is the only company that makes players to transmit CC over HDMI or DVI. I search for CC from Panasonic web site and I found only their DVD recorders may transmit CC over HDMI/DVI cable. The cheapest model is DMR-EA18K ($180) and I cannot guarantee that this player is what you are looking for. Their stand alone players do not have CC decoders. Also it appears their Blu-ray players do not support CC either. Please go to Panasonic Electronics for all of your home, business, or industrial needs and do some research.

Good luck.

Peter

I am not sure how I can help you since you provided little information about your setup.

I never once had issues with DVD or Blu-ray discs regarding to SDH. Every single one of them provided subtitles or SDH in English. There was one set of DVD disc that didn't provide subtitles or SDH in English. It was a Showtime series called "Dexter" and I borrowed the DVD set from a friend. But it had CC. I used my home-built computer to play DVD or Blu-ray movies via DVI (same as HDMI) and use Cyberlink PowerDVD software to transmit CC (not subtitles or SDH) over DVI cable. It seems Panasonic is the only company that makes players to transmit CC over HDMI or DVI. I search for CC from Panasonic web site and I found only their DVD recorders may transmit CC over HDMI/DVI cable. The cheapest model is DMR-EA18K ($180) and I cannot guarantee that this player is what you are looking for. Their stand alone players do not have CC decoders. Also it appears their Blu-ray players do not support CC either. Please go to Panasonic Electronics for all of your home, business, or industrial needs and do some research.

Good luck.

Peter

I will check out that Site Peter :) I think the problem I had with the Panasonic DVD player wasn't the player. It was the first series of SN only because it didn't have CC or SDH so that one I could only get CC or SDH on Windows media player. The other 2 series of SN had SDH so they worked well on the Panasonic DVD player but didn't do diddly as far as CC or SDH on the blu ray. I suspect it's because of the discs since they didn't have CC or SDH in english. If the disc you buy doesn't have CC or SDH in English or the language you want they it won't have it on blu ray player, well at least the Sony blu ray I bought and had to return. The blu ray player only goes by what is on the dvd disc....I don't know about blu ray discs yet. I havent' had any experience with blu ray discs yet and hope I never have to after this. I don't care for blu ray and as I said before I really hope we don't end up with all blu ray discs in the future.

After the holidays I will buy a dvd player but I won't dare buy a blu ray player.

Why bother with Blue ray? Regular DVD players are quite cheap nowadays. Blue ray players go for like $200-300. And Blue ray DVDs go for like $30-80 a pop depending on what movie it is. Regular good old DVD players are still quite cheap while still quite popular, they can go for only $30 a pop and you can find many cheap DVDs on amazon for even under $5 with shipping included.

I refuse to bother with Blue Ray players and movies until their insane prices comes down. My $30 DVD player is quite good enough and I have many DVDs. Why bother with Blue Ray?

Why bother with Blue ray? Regular DVD players are quite cheap nowadays. Blue ray players go for like $200-300. And Blue ray DVDs go for like $30-80 a pop depending on what movie it is. Regular good old DVD players are still quite cheap while still quite popular, they can go for only $30 a pop and you can find many cheap DVDs on amazon for even under $5 with shipping included.

I refuse to bother with Blue Ray players and movies until their insane prices comes down. My $30 DVD player is quite good enough and I have many DVDs. Why bother with Blue Ray?

same!! my brother told me he wants blu-ray player. I said - yea.. sure.. go buy it with your own money. I ain't buying it for him or my family or myself. DVD is good enough!

I think HD Homerun is probably the best choice because it can tune to HDTV ClearQAM which is available for free from your local cable company.

Peter

Usually, QAM will not show all channels. Just channel from 2 to 49 or 50.

Verizon FIOS does not support QAM. We have HDTV with built-in QAM. Still no picture from Verizon FIOS.

Blu-ray has more sharper picture and best sound effects than DVD.

Blu-ray disc = 25gb
DVD = 4.7 gb

Blu-ray is better choice for action movies cuz of sound effects. Others, I can just use DVD with it. I don't go buy every blu ray out there, only those with great action movies. I currently have few blu ray while majority is DVD.

Blu-ray has more sharper picture and best sound effects than DVD.

Blu-ray disc = 25gb
DVD = 4.7 gb

Blu-ray is better choice for action movies cuz of sound effects. Others, I can just use DVD with it. I don't go buy every blu ray out there, only those with great action movies. I currently have few blu ray while majority is DVD.

Single Layered DVD - 4.7 GB
Dual Layered DVD - 9.4 GB
Single Layered Blu-ray Disc - 25 GB
Dual Layered Blu-ray Disc - 50 GB

Yes, that's correct.

Single Layered DVD - 4.7 GB
Dual Layered DVD - 9.4 GB
Single Layered Blu-ray Disc - 25 GB
Dual Layered Blu-ray Disc - 50 GB

I would prefer that from now on that all DVD (any formats) be subtitled using SDH instead of CC or OC! (that would make easier for online streaming from netflix or hulu or as such!)

CC is nearly impossible and complicated to go thru the HD signals...its something they need to work on BEFORE the blu-ray association do something. Besides, ALL blu-ray discs have subtitles so why bother?

Yesterday, I asked few workers at Best Buy. We talked about CC, SDH and Subtitle. They were glad to bring few "opened box" Blu-Ray players and two different movies. We did try 5 or 6 different model of Blu-Ray players. Not see any SDH or CC. They show only Subtitle. We tried to set up CC1 on HDTV but not available for HDMI. We tried two different model of HDTV. Still not support. I told worker that I will ask someone at forum.

Are you use HDMI or other Cable?
What brand of Blu-Ray players support SDH?
Some movies are not available in SDH?
Where to find special set up at Menu on blu-ray player? We did try - no luck.
Not see any SDH on blu-ray's remote.

We looked about 8 different Blu-Ray movie's packages. Some packages show "SDH" or CC or Subtitle for deaf...... We never understand why that we can't get any special CC or SDH.

*smacks head*

SDH is listed in the "Subtitles" menu.

It's usually listed as "Subtitled for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing." Every Disney movie I have on DVD has SDH when I got the Languages option in the movie itself.

Not hard. All SDH is a subtitle with auditory explanation that like a gun going off, or the lyrics to a song (which not all closed captioning or subtitles have.)

Back