Hello

letfingerstalk

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a mom of a Deaf child and so happy that I have him. He makes me a better person.

:welcome:

How old is he? Do you sign with him?

Welcome to all deaf. Isn't it amazing how a child can change your life? I have an audtistic daughter and I am so happy that I know ASL because her communication skills are pretty far behind. I would not trade her for the world though. :D

It's nice to meet you! I'm happy that you are signing with him. My Mother is learning a bit of sign, she's far from perfect, lol

He is a teenager and I do to the best of my ability, though I have had little support in that area.

Are you guys hooked up with your state's School for the Deaf or with MSSD? Are you members of American Society for Deaf Children? http://deafchildren.org/
And at least you try.....I love parents who at least try to meet their child halfway.

Thank you all for the warm greetings! The State School for the Deaf was not a good fit for us as a family but I support them fully.

Welcome to all deaf. Isn't it amazing how a child can change your life? I have an audtistic daughter and I am so happy that I know ASL because her communication skills are pretty far behind. I would not trade her for the world though. :D

Does she have apraxia? I know that apraxia is very common in autistic kids.
If you haven't already done so, I would suggest seeing about looking into " zebra" syndromes. You know the saying " When hearing hoofbeats think horses not zebras?" Well sometimes the hoofbeats are zebras......and that's just a way of saying that sometimes autism can be caused by things that may have been missed by infant screening.....and sometimes those things can be treated so the child can be more high functioning!!! I'm not sure of any syndrome names....but it might be worth it to look into, since the higher functioning you get someone with autism, the better. (socially and independence wise)
You also might want to look into this: he CSF Project to Analyze the Prevalence of Chiari Malformation Within the ASD Population
There appears to be an underserved population of children and adults with Chiari malformation and autism – the size of which is yet to be determined. Recent data suggests that a greater than expected overlap of findings in children diagnosed with Chiari Malformation and those diagnosed with Autism Spectrum of Disease (ASD).
Children with Chiari frequently have tendency to headaches, neck pain, speech and swallowing difficulties, sensori-motor disorders, gastro-esophageal reflux, disordered respiration and sleep apnea - the same findings that characterize ASD (Rimland,B..Autism Research Review International, 2005). Other shared deficits include loss of smooth ocular pursuit, dysarthria, abnormal motor initiation, disordered neuro-endocrine modulation within the reticular activating system and possibly cerebellar mediated alterations of cerebral activity (Courchesne, E. Neuroanatomic Imaging. Suppl 781-790, 2001). This overlap of characteristics suggests that these disorders may be co-morbid conditions. Furthermore, in the course of routine surgical correction of Chiari disorders, members of CSF have measured substantial improvement in pain, function, and quality of life in ASD patients ( Bolognese, Kula 2010; Henderson, 2008,2010).
Unfortunately, patients once diagnosed with ASD, usually at 1 -3 years age , rarely undergo neurological assessment and MRI to look for other co-morbidities, such as Chiari Malformation. Therefore, an opportunity for diagnosis and treatment is potentially missed. CSF investigators are presently investigating the prevalence of radiological abnormalities in the population of ASD subjects. If preliminary evidence confirms a critical threshold of radiological abnormalities, then the CSF will work with the Investigational Review Boards of two prominent Universities with three goals : 1. To establish the prevalence of Chiari related disorders within the population of ASD; 2. To develop clinical biomarkers to more readily select which patients within the ASD population need further evaluation; and 3. To determine in a randomized, prospective manner whether surgical correction of these established neurological disorders provides a significant improvement in neurological function, pain and quality of life in the affected children and adults.”
http://csfinfo.org/research/csf-fund...mation-within/

I don't know if she has apraxia, but she could have auditory processing disorder like I do but can not be tested until she is 7 or older. At the moment she is 3. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I don't know if she has apraxia, but she could have auditory processing disorder like I do but can not be tested until she is 7 or older. At the moment she is 3. Lol

LOL. I'm not as well versed in autism, but again look into every and anything. Get her really strongly evaluated to rule out stuff. Make sure that she has the safety net of specialized educational and social interventions, as well as exposure to typical social interventions. Most disabilties can be helped with a "many different pieces to the puzzle" approach.

Yea I have a family friend who is an autism psychiatry who had a son with very severe autism, but he is high functioning because she worked with him over the years so I've been working with her and my daughter. :)

Yea I have a family friend who is an autism psychiatry who had a son with very severe autism, but he is high functioning because she worked with him over the years so I've been working with her and my daughter. :)

YAY! Is she in an autism/ special ed preschool? Even kids who have Aspie/high functioning autism can benefit from the foundation of specialized preschool!

Unfortunately we don't have a preschool like that in my town
:( I have looked all over. I really wanted her to go to one and work on social skills and being in a school like environment but the closes one is an hour away and pretty expensive. We do have a head start program but it is for 'poor' families and my husband makes to much for us to be 'poor'. It's for parents that make like $600 a month or some crazy amount. Plus we are working on potty training and most programs won't take un potty trained children. I am going to continue to look for a program or preschool or even an autistic mommy group. My little brother has asperge and he suffered a lot in school because they didn't diagnosis him until he was 16.

Unfortunately we don't have a preschool like that in my town
:( I have looked all over. I really wanted her to go to one and work on social skills and being in a school like environment but the closes one is an hour away and pretty expensive. We do have a head start program but it is for 'poor' families and my husband makes to much for us to be 'poor'. It's for parents that make like $600 a month or some crazy amount. Plus we are working on potty training and most programs won't take un potty trained children. I am going to continue to look for a program or preschool or even an autistic mommy group. My little brother has asperge and he suffered a lot in school because they didn't diagnosis him until he was 16.

Awww that sucks!!!!! But at least you're openminded to specialized stuff. Good luck in trying to find somethign! Let me guess.... your little brother really did fall through the cracks right?

Yea he did, he is supposed to be graduating this year but he is so far behind and no one is helping him at school, so he wants to drop out. My poor dad is a single father with him and works all the time so he feels like it's his fault my brother doesn't do well at school, but schools really need to take kids with learning disabilities and help them a little more without making them feel different

Yea he did, he is supposed to be graduating this year but he is so far behind and no one is helping him at school, so he wants to drop out. My poor dad is a single father with him and works all the time so he feels like it's his fault my brother doesn't do well at school, but schools really need to take kids with learning disabilities and help them a little more without making them feel different

Maybe see about transferring to a school for Asperger's kids? That's an option especially if he's failing! And that's very common for kids with ALL sorts of disabilties to struggle in middle/high school.

Sadly in salem oregon there are no special schools for kids with aspergers. We shut down our school for the blind 4 years ago, and just clumped them with the deaf kids, other than that kids go to mainstream or home school. Some schools around here have even stopped special ed classes for students that need more help because they found it pointless and that the kids were getting bullied to much. A lot end up at the mental state hospital :(

Sadly in salem oregon there are no special schools for kids with aspergers. We shut down our school for the blind 4 years ago, and just clumped them with the deaf kids, other than that kids go to mainstream or home school. Some schools around here have even stopped special ed classes for students that need more help because they found it pointless and that the kids were getting bullied to much. A lot end up at the mental state hospital :(

What about in the area? Or even boarding school? There are boarding schools for kids with Asperger's/ADD etc......I wonder.... Could your brother pass a GED exam? If so, maybe a good idea might be to pass the GED exam, and then attend a specialized Asperger's/LD/ADD postsecondary program......
And I hear you. There's all this GUSHING about inclusion, inclusion incluson, but it really doesn't work for a lot of students....including high functioning ones!

Back