Las Vegas Community?

DJYumene

Reaction score
I didn't see a forum for anyone in Las Vegas, NV. Is there anyone else out there from vegas?

I am not from Las Vegas, but have lot of interests into Las Vegas and those are all I've known:

LVCSD

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advocacy Resource Center

DeafNevada.org

There was used to be a website that was called "Deaf Las Vegas", but I happened to found out that it disappeared.

I never heard of a forum specific for the deafies that live in Las Vegas, but this forum is for whole deafies in the worldwide :)

Hope that helps.

I was asking because ... well ... I don't really have anyone outside my family that I know who is HoH/Deaf(I have a lot of HoH people in my family;no Deaf; so my environment is all spoken/oral). I also want to learn to fingerspell at a faster speed. Right now I am very slow. And I think for me to get better; I need to actually use it more.

I saw that there are ASL meets in Nevada at DeafNevada.org; but I don't know how I would do at that; I only know how to fingerspell. Can I get by with just that in those kind of meets? (I am planning to take ASL 1 at the community college next year sometime)

Thank you for your reply and for the links as well. Very helpful.

Last edited:
I was asking because ... well ... I don't have anyone outside my family that I know who is HoH/Deaf(I have a lot of HoH people in my family;no Deaf; so my environment is all spoken/oral). I also want to learn to fingerspell at a faster speed. Right now I am very slow. And I think for me to get better; I need to actually use it more.

I saw that there are ASL meets in Nevada at DeafNevada.org; but I don't know how I would do at that; I only know how to fingerspell. Can I get by with just that in those kind of meets? (I am planning to take ASL 1 at the community college next year sometime)

Thank you for your reply and for the links as well. Very helpful.

No problemo :) I personally have a lot of ASL student friends and they start off with the school to learn the ASL first then social with the deafies, I think sometimes the ASL classes introduce the deafies to the class.

Give it some time ;)

I know what you mean; maybe I'm just rushing into things; lol. I used to know a lot more ASL that what I do now. When I was in high school(9th grade); my friend(hearing) and I were practicing ASL together(self-study). Once we meet two girls who were deaf and we practiced with them a little; they knew we were learning. They even gave us ASL pins that said 'I love you' in ASL. :)

I moved later on to another state and didn't use it at all after that. I think you know the saying ... "If you don't use it; you lose it" ... so true ...

I know what you mean; maybe I'm just rushing into things; lol. I used to know a lot more ASL that what I do now. When I was in high school(9th grade); my friend(hearing) and I were practicing ASL together(self-study). Once we meet two girls who were deaf and we practiced with them a little; they knew we were learning. They even gave us ASL pins that said 'I love you' in ASL. :)

I moved later on to another state and didn't use it at all after that. I think you know the saying ... "If you don't use it; you lose it" ... so true ...

I would agree with that sentence, just working on it and someday you can sign just like the deafies :)

Back