Important information about RID NIC exam

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dear RID Member:

For nearly four decades, RID has offered a robust and highly respected certification program that is nationwide in scope and today mandates educational requirements, adherence to a code of professional conduct and ongoing professional development.

We must regrettably report that a former RID employee committed fraudulent activities that affected the scores of 34 individuals whose National Interpreter Certification (NIC) Interview and Performance Examinations were scored between January and September 2010. These individuals represent less than three (3) percent of those who took the exam in 2010.

While RID has determined that the impact on RID and its members is very limited, we take this fraud seriously and are working diligently to resolve the issues this incident has raised.

At this time, RID has sent notification letters to all affected individuals via trackable mail, with delivery scheduled on or before today, Tuesday, June 21, 2011. Therefore, if you have not received an official communication or notification of an official communication from RID regarding this matter, then neither your certification nor your exam results are in question.

In order to determine the extent of the fraud, RID retained an outside forensics auditor to conduct an independent investigation. The results of this investigation, combined with a series of internal audits and reviews, revealed that, in the pursuit to embezzle funds from the organization, Guy Motley, the former RID employee, falsified exam scores, rater payments and check endorsements, for the purpose of diverting funds to himself.

The procedures RID used to identify the impacted individuals included a thorough and exhaustive data review that was conducted by both RID staff and outside certification and assessment experts. Working with these experts, RID has identified procedures to address the questionable scores in a way that is fair to the candidates affected and to the consumers of interpreting services. These procedures are based on widely accepted practices, and there is considerable precedence for this type of approach.

While the fraud involved invalid scoring of some NIC Interview and Performance Examinations, it is imperative to understand that this did not compromise the validity of the exam format or the integrity of the testing methodology. Nor does it call into question the qualifications or integrity of the raters who were used, without their knowledge, by Mr. Motley to embezzle funds.

This incident was caused entirely by Mr. Motley who was, upon discovery, immediately terminated, criminally prosecuted and ultimately convicted of conspiracy to commit embezzlement and attempted forgery. He is currently serving a one-year jail sentence and has been ordered to pay restitution to RID. As a result of this restitution, as well as insurance coverage, the financial impact on RID has been limited and RID remains a financially strong organization.

RID quickly took steps to prevent similar incidents from taking place, including implementation of new systems and processes in our Certification and Finance departments, and plans for additional steps in the future.

RID will not reveal the names of those individuals who have been affected. We recognize the sensitivity of this situation and are keeping the names of affected individuals confidential.

In addition to the invalid rater scores, the fraud has also had a profound effect on the speed of ratings currently being reviewed, and thus the results notification timeframe. Once RID discovered the fraudulent activities, we immediately stopped rating exams. Upon completion of the preliminary investigation, RID screened each rater and a new rater qualification process was developed and implemented. As a result, test results have fallen behind the ideal 90-day notification timeframe, and we temporarily have a smaller pool of eligible raters. We apologize for the delays and difficulties test candidates have experienced during this time as we work to alleviate the backlog of exams awaiting results.

RID’s function is to support our membership by providing the foundation needed to launch and sustain careers while ensuring quality service to consumers of interpreting services. As with any profession, one important measure of an individual’s knowledge and skill set is professional credentials. RID stands true to our commitment to our members, the Deaf community and our certification program.

We are committed to open and transparent communication about this matter. For more information, please visit RID -. We will provide additional information about the issue as we can while prioritizing service to those directly affected by the criminal actions of Mr. Motley and maintaining the confidentiality required by the sensitive nature of the incident.

Respectfully,

Clay Nettles
RID Executive Director

Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf

Yikes! :shock:

So a RID examiner accepted bribes to pass interpreters for certification?

That's what it sounds like but I'm not clear about it. It says Motley was convicted of conspiracy, which means at least another person was involved. However, he's the only one mentioned that was fired and prosecuted. Do they mean the other conspirators were the test takers? It seems kind of odd that 34 test takers would know the one guy to bribe. There must be more to it.

I don't think we have all the details.

Wirelessly posted

I didn't hear anything about this. Thank you for sharing Reba.

This letter was posted at my deaf club this morning. At least I saw it this morning, don't know when it was put up. All I can say is "WOW!!"

That's what it sounds like but I'm not clear about it. It says Motley was convicted of conspiracy, which means at least another person was involved. However, he's the only one mentioned that was fired and prosecuted. Do they mean the other conspirators were the test takers? It seems kind of odd that 34 test takers would know the one guy to bribe. There must be more to it.

I do think it would have been difficult for that many people to collaborate, let alone organize this thing. But, the article does state that the fraud occurred within 8 months, so it's not like all 34 people took the same test at the same time, maybe not even in the same location. So to me, it's likely the Motley guy pulled random test takers. How big is the organization? It seems unusual that one person has so much access to several departments (i.e. payment receiving, payment processing, test evaluation, test scoring, document processing, money transfers, etc).

I do think it would have been difficult for that many people to collaborate, let alone organize this thing. But, the article does state that the fraud occurred within 8 months, so it's not like all 34 people took the same test at the same time, maybe not even in the same location. So to me, it's likely the Motley guy pulled random test takers. How big is the organization? It seems unusual that one person has so much access to several departments (i.e. payment receiving, payment processing, test evaluation, test scoring, document processing, money transfers, etc).
That does seem puzzling that one person would have so much access. :hmm:

The interpreters were victims, not co-conspirators

I doubt RID would allow the interpreters to keep their certifications until they can retest if they had been involved in the fraud. More likely they would be stripped of their certification immediately and potentially banned from ever joining the organization again, not to mention prosecution. A few years ago, an interpreter who falsified a letter from RID to an employer claiming to have certification when she did not was publicly sanctioned in the VIEWS and banned from RID membership for ten years. I seriously doubt RID would allow interpreters to defraud them directly, worse than what she did, and still keep their certifications until they retest.

My understanding is that he chose tests at random and falsified test scores to avoid sending them to raters to begin with, thus keeping the rater payments for himself. I could be wrong, but this is how I read the letter. The interpreters were victims, along with everyone else.

Back