Forced to Voice

Recover5302

Reaction score
I was raised in a family who didn't voice. JUST SIGN. Although I have the ability to speak I never used my voice as much. On top of this crazy year in college...I have one interpreter who forces me to speak for myself. I DONT LIKE VOICING sometimes..Yeah I can but I perfer not to. I think she does that because I can voice. I will if I have to but I have never been comfortable with voicing...how can SHE MAKE ME VOICE? Alot of people don't understand what I say anyway. What is her point :/. She has this Deaf pride thing going on, she wants me to advocate or something lol... I think she means no harm but PEOPLE LAUGH AT MY VOICE!!! CMON

That interpreter crossed the line. It is not her job to tell you what to do.

Is this the same one who refuses to sign ASL and only uses Signed English?

If so...is she certified?

If she is RID certified, report her to RID immediately. This is a serious breach of ethics.

If she is not RID certified, demand another interpreter. I know you said there's a shortage in there area, but this woman is obviously BAD and needs to be GONE. She should not be a professional interpreter, PERIOD.

Unethical. It is NOT her job to force you to use your voice. That is solely your choice. She should not have an agenda on the job.

I agree with everyone above. The interpreter is there for you, and she needs to meet your needs which in your case includes voicing for you. Be firm and clear with her that you want her to translate what you said into spoken English. If she doesn't, send the person who hired her an email stating the problems you've been having. It definitely should be documented, and ask them to hire a different terp.

Unethical. It is NOT her job to force you to use your voice. That is solely your choice. She should not have an agenda on the job.

Exactly. She is an interpreter, not a life coach. She is there to interpret, and to interpret on the client's terms, not her terms. The client tells her what the client needs and wants...not the other way around.

Definately an ethical violation that needs to be reported.

I agree with others. You are meant be in charge HOW you want to communicate and HOW you want interperter to sign to you. If you let this carry on, it will becomes harder and harder to say no and stop because this interpreter may say something like this "She did it before, why not now?", etc. Best to try get it sorted soon as possible.

You need to file a complaint with the disability services office and request another terp ASAP.

You should also find out if they're certified and if they are report them to RID (etc).

This is not only "over the line" it's actually illegal in many (if not all) places.

It sounds bulling and degreading....Also it could mess up how you intend to represent yourself Where you would sound competent and sure of yourself if she would just translate what you are saying, you may feel unsure and out of your element....it could change the whole outcome of the exchange!

I was raised in a family who didn't voice. JUST SIGN. Although I have the ability to speak I never used my voice as much. On top of this crazy year in college...I have one interpreter who forces me to speak for myself. I DONT LIKE VOICING sometimes..Yeah I can but I perfer not to. I think she does that because I can voice. I will if I have to but I have never been comfortable with voicing...how can SHE MAKE ME VOICE? Alot of people don't understand what I say anyway. What is her point :/. She has this Deaf pride thing going on, she wants me to advocate or something lol... I think she means no harm but PEOPLE LAUGH AT MY VOICE!!! CMON

I do not agree with this interpreter's choices. First of all, if she believes in empowerment of Deaf individuals then that means letting them make their own decisions, which includes the decision to speak through an interpreter. Secondly, she needs to be aware of the resulting interpersonal demands that arise from her decision to encourage you to voice for yourself and use the appropriate controls to correct the situation.

Is she even aware of your feelings on the matter? I think it would be appropriate to confront her, and if she is unwilling to accommodate you then you should ask for a new interpreter. At the very least, your current interpreter needs additional training in the professional standards of conduct and ethical decision making.

But really, I'm hesitant to come down too hard on the interpreter at the moment because there simply isn't enough information here for us to understand why she made the decision she did.

You need to file a complaint with the disability services office and request another terp ASAP.

You should also find out if they're certified and if they are report them to RID (etc).

This is not only "over the line" it's actually illegal in many (if not all) places.

Agreed. Actually I am skeptical the incident really happened. No offense, it is just me. *shrugs*

Agreed. Actually I am skeptical the incident really happened. No offense, it is just me. *shrugs*

Well she isn't certified the college just hired her or whatever. I found that out today. Why are you doubtful..I do take that as an offense lol..any ways maybe that's why she did this. I'm not one of those people who express my feelings but OK! I will let her know. It's just when I try to tell her something, she has a high and mighty attitude. That's why I am usually quiet.

I do not agree with this interpreter's choices. First of all, if she believes in empowerment of Deaf individuals then that means letting them make their own decisions, which includes the decision to speak through an interpreter. Secondly, she needs to be aware of the resulting interpersonal demands that arise from her decision to encourage you to voice for yourself and use the appropriate controls to correct the situation.

Is she even aware of your feelings on the matter? I think it would be appropriate to confront her, and if she is unwilling to accommodate you then you should ask for a new interpreter. At the very least, your current interpreter needs additional training in the professional standards of conduct and ethical decision making.

But really, I'm hesitant to come down too hard on the interpreter at the moment because there simply isn't enough information here for us to understand why she made the decision she did.

What information would you like? I did try to hint around but she didn't pay attention. I guess straight foward is best.

Well she isn't certified the college just hired her or whatever. I found that out today. Why are you doubtful..I do take that as an offense lol..any ways maybe that's why she did this. I'm not one of those people who express my feelings but OK! I will let her know. It's just when I try to tell her something, she has a high and mighty attitude. That's why I am usually quiet.

Go to your college's disability services office and tell them this terp is not qualified and you are requesting a qualified interpreter under the ADA.

I agree with others. You are meant be in charge HOW you want to communicate and HOW you want interperter to sign to you. If you let this carry on, it will becomes harder and harder to say no and stop because this interpreter may say something like this "She did it before, why not now?", etc. Best to try get it sorted soon as possible.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Is this the same one who refuses to sign ASL and only uses Signed English?

If so...is she certified?

If she is RID certified, report her to RID immediately. This is a serious breach of ethics.

If she is not RID certified, demand another interpreter. I know you said there's a shortage in there area, but this woman is obviously BAD and needs to be GONE. She should not be a professional interpreter, PERIOD.

She isn't certified none of the terps at my school are.

I agree with everyone above. The interpreter is there for you, and she needs to meet your needs which in your case includes voicing for you. Be firm and clear with her that you want her to translate what you said into spoken English. If she doesn't, send the person who hired her an email stating the problems you've been having. It definitely should be documented, and ask them to hire a different terp.

Maybe because I can get my point across with speech she doesn't think I need voicing. People can understand me a little but not THAT much. Maybe that's why. I guess if you can voice fine then they don't expect you to need that. Like I said though, we only have 2 and neither is certified.

I am sorry for having doubted you. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt, not the negative aspect. I am known to be blunt at times but it was not my intention to hurt your feelings.
As for that "interpreter," stomp her, stomp her, stomp her! :lol:

Back