Is being deaf a disability or not?

dhespeelfem

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Fem. I am a student of the university of Ghent (Belgium). For my studies in 'Disability Studies', i am making an essay on Deafculture (I have to hand it over on the 18th of August 2005). For me this is a whole new area. I am hearing, but i have a Deaf classmate who has awakend my interest for this subject.

The title of my work is : "i am Deaf - a literaturesurvey about the silent crie for fully citizenship" (Excuse me for my bad English translation...)
With this title I want to show that this is not about the medical and biological sense of being deaf. It is about being deaf in a hearing society, about deafculture and deafconsciousness, about being Deaf ... It is about discrimination and inclusion, about respect and human rights ...

I would like to end this essay with a discussion about ‘Deaf an disability’.
For this, I’ll see what the literature says about this. But I would also want to see what d/Deaf people think about this.

So, my question to you is: Is being deaf a disability or not? What do you think about this? How do you experience your deafness?

A clue: Think about the following sentences. These are examples for the situation in Belgium. I don’t know about the situation in your country. Maybe you can think of some other situations or examples. These are always welcome ...

“Deaf often say that they are not disabled, but still they accept the card for free use of the bus.”

“Deaf often say that they don’t have a disability, but they don’t mind for having a INTEGRATIETEGEMOETKOMING.”

So, I find an answer on the question “Is being deaf a disability or not?”. The examples above can be used as a support to give me your opinion.

If you want to write me about this subject and about your experiences, could you please give me the answer on some short questions? These questions can help me to see if for example grown ups have a different opinion about this than teenagers.

Male/female:
Were you born deaf? If not, at what age did you become deaf?
Are your parents d/Deaf or hearing?
Do you go to a deafclub? Why/ why not?
How do you communicate: oral and/or sign language? What is the reason herefore?

I want to thank you very much for giving me your opinion on this! All the information will be used anonimously.

I need a lot of answers to get a good view on how d/Deaf people experience their deafness. So don’t hesitate ! You can help me very much!

Greetings from Belgium,
Fem D'Hespeel

You can reach me on my emailadres (for your answer, of for questions):

Email: dhespeelfem@gmail.com

Is deaf able to hear as clearly as hearies?

The answer is way too obviously!

Able = CAN
DISable = CAN'T

Maybe I should ask it like this: Do you experience your deafness as a disability? In wich situations?

I personally don't feel that being hoh/deaf is a disabilty ... a communication challege at times - yes, but a disablilty not really.

I'm one of those people that "puts my money where my mouth is" on that one too .

I've bought my TTY, visual signallers ( SonicAlert stuff - door, phone, etc flashers) hearing aid, and any other adaptive devices I use all at retail price, and I don't think "society owes me" for them ... is it lousy that my phone (uniphone tty ) costs 500.00 instead of 25.00 at walmart ... YUP. But honestly many individuals have specific needs that cost more than "standard". Heck I save money since I'm not buying hundreds of CDs and various MP3players, iPods etc LOL.

I've worked full time since I graduated college, and I've never claimed or applied for a discount on my taxes etc for being hoh/deaf. I don't agree with claiming SSI purely because someone can't hear ... infact it flat out ticks me off when people do it. The only deductions I've ever taken for being hoh/Deaf have been claiming the small about for my TTYs one year on my taxes ( the gov gave me I think 25$ back because it counted as a medical expense .. yippy for me !), my addition health insurance I pay at work covered $150.00 of my HA cost and I was allowed 1/2 tuition for an ASL immersion program, which offers discounts for hoh/deaf who are learning ASL.

Of course no everyone one will feel the way I do ... and that's ok too...

personally I think that being deaf/hoh is a lot like coming from a different country that speaks a different language ... I run into communication problems ( so I carry pen and paper) , I run into ignorate people ( the same ones that make fun of other minority groups) , I get frustrated with situations that are made harder than they have to be .... but all in all - I don't really feel disabled by my hearing loss - I feel challenged.. but challenge often makes us more understanding, more accepting, and 'better' people ... if we choose to let it :)

If you want to say that deaf/hoh isn't a disablity .. then you have to ACT like it !

just my 2 cents

deaf = hearing impared

It is just a sensory loss and I'm physcially disabled / profoundly deaf

I don't find it to be a disablity, rather it is the social setting that is set for us by the hearing standard which becomes the disabling factor.

I would view it basically as a disability since I'm unable to truly experience some possibilites in the communicative realm of which I'm a part of.

Having said that, it is more of a challenge to me to see what I can do as opposed to "woe is me".

Yes, deafness and HOH are a disability but I do not consider myself as disability. :cool:

Yes that is ok but still 50% and 50% for both of disability and ability.

I am giving you for an example of what it is the difference between disability and ability....
For instance one of man who is deaf work as constructor and they won't hire because he is deaf that he is being disability that he cannot hear from other co-worker to watch out something falling down going to hit on deaf man's head. That what called he is unable to hear the other co-worker who shout for watch out something falling down ahead to hit on deaf man's head. That is still so-called disability.

The other instance one of man who is deaf work as big truck ( semi-truck) driver that he is able to look out for mirror and driving and knows how to follow the road signals that he has ability to work for that type of job. That is how it makes them noticed he is ability to work that kind of job.

As now that you can compare the difference about disability and ability 50% and 50% too.

You see why hearing impaired people cannot join military for war and they are still disability too. ok you got that? wink :thumb:

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, deafness and HOH are a disability but I do not consider myself as disability. :cool:

DreamyHawaii said:
I am giving you for an example of what it is the difference between disability and ability....
For instance one of man who is deaf work as constructor and they won't hire because he is deaf that he is being disability that he cannot hear from other co-worker to watch out something falling down going to hit on deaf man's head. That what called he is unable to hear the other co-worker who shout for watch out something falling down ahead to hit on deaf man's head. That is still so-called disability.

Yes, that's what I mention that deaf or HOH are a disability. Some of jobs like what you mentioned and also telephonist, too etc. where it's not fit for the deaf but they STILL can work in the office for constructor or any businesses like house plan, etc. Something positive to be happy instead of whine over their deafness.

The other instance one of man who is deaf work as big truck ( semi-truck) driver that he is able to look out for mirror and driving and knows how to follow the road signals that he has ability to work for that type of job. That is how it makes them noticed he is ability to work that kind of job.

Yes, I know because we have alot of deafies in Germany and also in England who work as big truck. I see no problem because deafies have their own eyes that they can watch. They are happy and sataisfy with their jobs.

As now that you can compare the difference about disability and ability 50% and 50% too.

Yes, I know but I doesn't bother to compare anything because I'm happy what I am. I do not consider myself as disability. Yes, I know deaf/HOH are for hearing world is disability because they CAN't hear or hear hardly.

You see why hearing impaired people cannot join military for war and they are still disability too. ok you got that? wink :thumb:

:thumb: I'm glad being deaf because I don't want to go war. I'm anti-war :thumb:

Yes sure no problem that is it ok smile ok have fun....

Yes that is true and same me too. very luckiest in this world that we are deaf and cannot go war out there. smile.....

:thumb: I'm glad being deaf because I don't want to go war. I'm anti-war :thumb:

yes it's a disability but the words discrimination and disadvantage probaly sum up my feelings about my deafness better

I'm anti-war :thumb:
But you support the war because you work for the military?

Sorry :topic:

I'm HOH but the way I look at it is that being HOH is only a disability in situations where the majority of society has set it up to be that way. At home being HOH isn't a disability because I have it set up so that I know everything I need to know (like with flashing lights and vibrating clocks). But when I go out someplace that's not set up for people who are D/deaf/Hoh, then being HOH becomes a disability because I can't do what other people can, like at a place where they call out numbers to tell you when your food is ready or where knowing about something depends on a sound that I can't hear. But if it weren't for those things I wouldn't think of myself as disabled. Hope that makes sense!

Julia

Reba said:
But you support the war because you work for the military?

Sorry :topic:

Of course I work for military but not for war... :mrgreen:

If deafness is a disability then how come we can do everything a hearing persons can? Deaf can have sex, walk, read, write, ride bikes, fly planes, watch tv, listen to music, etc.

Of course I work for military but not for war... :mrgreen:

military is in business of war... with guns and bombs... and killings... check your dictionary and it says military is the armed forces. A-R-M-E-D. armed = weapons.

you should be working for Red Cross or Peace Corps. :cool2:

yes deaf is a disability.

Back