Is being deaf a disability or not?

here is something I wrote on Facebook about whether I see myself as disabled

I am normal for my disablement
Toe walking is normal for a singled sided hempies
One arm Manuel wheelchairs are normal for singled sided hempies
Dual print(both braille and large print) is normal for visual processing disorder
Fm systems are normal for auditory processing disorders
...Unimanuel braillers are normal for singled sided hempies

Anyone who wants me to be less than normal go away

I do not see myself as disabled I just have a different range of human experience due to my disablement

Are "hearing people" disabled because they don't use/know ASL?

Is it contingent on the use of what "standard"?

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

If they do not see us as disability then why do we ever feel not being equal with those hearings?

Not to me cos Deaf can do anything hearing do except to hear. It some of hearing people behaviour and treat Deaf people like they are not equal, etc. They try to limit on us by telling us that we can't do this and that, etc.

It's possible to be a minority (linguistically or culturally) and feel disadvantaged among the majority without being considered "disabled". I think I'm leaning towards that idea with regard to my daughter.

Are "hearing people" disabled because they don't use/know ASL?

Is it contingent on the use of what "standard"?

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Oh yes they are. They do not have a full toolbox. They are a gas to watch, though.

Beowulf: Probably depends on the number of person(s) using ASL in the company of a "hearing person".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

It's possible to be a minority (linguistically or culturally) and feel disadvantaged among the majority without being considered "disabled". I think I'm leaning towards that idea with regard to my daughter.

Very true. Being disabled is more of a social condition in which the minority that has adapted to their deafness and leads a full and complete life do not see themselves as disabled. However, the hearing majority does consider them to be disabled. It is not the deafness that creates limitations, it is the barriers that society creates that create limitations.

Beowulf: Probably depends on the number of person(s) using ASL in the company of a "hearing person".

Only takes one. If I am using ASL with a single hearing individual that does not understand what I am communicating, they are ASL disabled.

Perhaps more accurately-no communication. Important?

Perhaps more accurately-no communication. Important?

No, not more accurate, as the ASL person has the advantage of reading body language and speech reading the person who is speaking. The hearing person does not have that advantage. So, in being ASL impaired, the hearing, speaking person has no communication, but the ASL using person does have a degree of communication.

Assuming the "deaf/Deaf" person actually studied speechreading. I don't recall when I took Introd ASL speechreading was mentioned. Different in other countries?
I checked the 3 Intro books I used re Speechreading- no mentioned how or why one should learn.
1-Signing how to speak with your hands-Elaine Costello
2-Signing made Easy-Butterworth & Flodin
3-American Sign Language-Stewart
"
Not a surprise as one uses "their hearing" with "lip movements/visemes" to "understand words".This is my understanding from Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto "Coping with your Hearing loss" Speechreading classes.

Also no reference to study body language either.

Because your 1, 2, and 3 book choices are about learning sign language.

Not speechreading. Speechreading takes practice that you can't get from a book.

No reference to body language in SIGN LANGUAGE books either? Not surprising. The deaf use visual cues naturally. I don't think we really need to "learn" from a book.

Assuming the "deaf/Deaf" person actually studied speechreading. I don't recall when I took Introd ASL speechreading was mentioned. Different in other countries?

I checked the 3 Intro books I used re Speechreading- no mentioned how or why one should learn.
1-Signing how to speak with your hands-Elaine Costello
2-Signing made Easy-Butterworth & Flodin
3-American Sign Language-Stewart
"
Not a surprise as one uses "their hearing" with "lip movements/visemes" to "understand words".This is my understanding from Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto "Coping with your Hearing loss" Speechreading classes.

Also no reference to study body language either.

One does not need to study speech reading. :roll: This has been discussed numerous times, and numerous times it has been explained why the deaf are more visual and pay more attention to visual cues. Nor does one need to study body language in order to have the advantage in the situation described. The advantage is inherent in the visually based individual.

Having become bilaterally deaf- Dec/06- I haven't noticed any increase my speechreading ability. In actual fact there has been a decrease.
Way back in early 2007 while waiting for the Cochlear Implant process at Sunnybrook/Toronto- I actually took Speechreading at CHS. Results actual test 20% decline from previous test. Just my experience, of course.
Also, the Intro book made no mention that one should learn speechreading.

Having become bilaterally deaf- Dec/06- I haven't noticed any increase my speechreading ability. In actual fact there has been a decrease.
Way back in early 2007 while waiting for the Cochlear Implant process at Sunnybrook/Toronto- I actually took Speechreading at CHS. Results actual test 20% decline from previous test. Just my experience, of course.
Also, the Intro book made no mention that one should learn speechreading.

Most people who are natural speechreaders and who are good at using visual cues and reading body language are those who were born dhh/Deaf.

It is not something that can be taught, it is something that is mastered due to reliance. Yes, there are classes and courses out there but these are just making money for the sake of it.

Whether "deaf/Deaf/dhh" persons are "natural speech readers" is an interesting question- how does one "develop such skills"?

From my direct experience-very difficult to learn/practice re SpeechReading. The courses at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto which are not taught in the school system- here in Toronto-to the best of my knowledge.

Visual cues are the mouth shapes which is quite visible in say " P/B/M" but not those down one's throat. Apparently that is why it is "difficult" to grasp. One must have some idea the context of the discussion as well. Right-pay attention. Some thoughts passed by CHS.

Whether "deaf/Deaf/dhh" persons are "natural speech readers" is an interesting question- how does one "develop such skills"?

From my direct experience-very difficult to learn/practice re SpeechReading. The courses at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto which are not taught in the school system- here in Toronto-to the best of my knowledge.

Visual cues are the mouth shapes which is quite visible in say " P/B/M" but not those down one's throat. Apparently that is why it is "difficult" to grasp. One must have some idea the context of the discussion as well. Right-pay attention. Some thoughts passed by CHS.

Who said you can speechread to the T? It is mostly having to piece a puzzle together and process it as quickly as possible, like everything in regards to comprehending any communication. Speechreading is more of an aid than a means to an end.

Back