What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I'm HOH wearing 2 hearing aids.

I hate it when those with normal hearing expect me to hear the same pitches and frequencies that they do. My hearing aids help,but....

I'm HOH and I hate it when hearing people don't look at me when I'm trying to read their lips or if they talk really low. It irritates me at times. :/

Hearies who use my hearing against me in a moment of anger, for example, purposefully not repeating or articulating better what they just said.

+1

I should mumble something if someone do that and if they say "what?", I say something like...: "you first", "care to repeat what you say?", "what?"

... not a good idea though, is it? :lol:

When people say "Can't you get a better hearing aid?" like they are cheap as chips and there is always one out there somewhere that restores your hearing to completely normal. Grrrr.

That they come here to this thread and don't notice it is for us to complain about them.

Point taken. But the minute you become part of the signing community you find yourself in a "no-man's land" or DMZ where you suddenly have to deal with a side of hearing people many hearies do not even realize exist -- Until they experience it for themselves.

Hearing people have dropped out of sign language classes because they could not deal with the reactions other hearies had towards them.

Everyone who joins the signing community, regardless of level of hearing, will suddenly find they have complaints about hearies.

Point taken. But the minute you become part of the signing community you find yourself in a "no-man's land" or DMZ where you suddenly have to deal with a side of hearing people many hearies do not even realize exist -- Until they experience it for themselves.

Hearing people have dropped out of sign language classes because they could not deal with the reactions other hearies had towards them.

Everyone who joins the signing community, regardless of level of hearing, will suddenly find they have complaints about hearies.

They have not internalized a lifetime of pain. If they have complaints they just thought of after starting ASL study, let them get their own thread.

It is completely different. I stand by my original statement.

When people say "Can't you get a better hearing aid?" like they are cheap as chips and there is always one out there somewhere that restores your hearing to completely normal. Grrrr.

*gasp*

That's when you walk (no... RUN) away. Don't bother making them understand what situation we are in. It's unlikely they will... :evil:

What ticks me off about hearies are:

When I tell them I'm deaf, their respond would be "Oh I'm sorry" and then walks off. :confused:

When some hearing parents refused to sign with their deaf children. (with or without the use of cochlear implants)

When some hearies shouts while talking to me, It doesn't make me hear any better when they're shouting--they're making me more deafer.

When some hearies turned their face away while talking to me, It's like hello? I have to read your lips.

When some hearies chew on their gum while talking to me, It's like watching a cow eating.

I like this:

When some hearies shouts while talking to me, It doesn't make me hear any better when they're shouting--they're making me more deafer.

Im hearing and when ppl shout at me "I become more deaf"! Makes you want to tune them out!:lol:

Even if you are professional driver, you will still get into the accident without no warning. Think about that, eh? You just gotta be careful on how you can have a safety driving and be concern about your passengers and drivers on the roads. If you are alone, then you are taking risk and hurting other drivers. :hmm:

I was joking of course except for the balance the dog part:laugh2: she was trained to ride up there and has never gotten in my way:lol:

I was joking of course except for the balance the dog part:laugh2: she was trained to ride up there and has never gotten in my way:lol:

I thought I succeded in changing my profile picture to show you, but i guess it didn't work.....

I forsee a Botti rank in 5... 4... 3... 2...

No need to be sarcastic just because your post was called out, and rightly so. This a thread where deaf people discuss their lifetime frustrations with the hearing.

*gasp*

That's when you walk (no... RUN) away. Don't bother making them understand what situation we are in. It's unlikely they will... :evil:

Or in my case slam the old powerchair into high speed. Possibly taking an unfortunate foot-related detour along the way. :whistle:

I don't have a clue what that means. If you mean I meant it when I said this is a thread for deaf people, yes I did.

Right - I too think this is a good place for the deaf people to really be able to vent and spill their frustrations, but I can also see the hearing people reading and be willing to understand what we go through and try to make a conscious effort to change. I have been on both sides of the fence about a lot of things, but now being total deaf I totally understand what's being said.

I know this was not intended towards me, but I wanted to add my 2 cents, ya know? :D

I find it irritating when people find out that I am d/hh and they ask me if I was afraid my DD might have the same 'problem'.

I am like "Dude, it's only problem when you're surrounded by hearing people who are inconsiderate or hearing people that think they know what is best for the d/hh child."

If she was d/hh I'd jump through flaming hoops to make sure she had the proper support services needed and even then it's still not a problem. At least not to me as a parent looking out for my child as I have been down this road myself.

I don't like it when you as a deaf person are expected to make accomodations for yourself and make necessary adjustments and changes to life-long habits while your hearing friends, collegues, and family don't bother to put in the same effort.

I don't like it when you as a deaf person are expected to make accomodations for yourself and make necessary adjustments and changes to life-long habits while your hearing friends, collegues, and family don't bother to put in the same effort.

Narcissism at its best, heh?

On that same note - my mom has flat out said - she will not do ASL and she will only accept English.

She has also said she didn't care if she had to wear big ugly ear trumpets on her ears if it meant she could hear.

I know she means well but she doesn't realize it that when she says these things that it hurts my feelings as if I'm being attacked for being born d/hh.

Back