"That is gay!"

I suppose we simply have different view points concerning this issue.

It is still considered offensive to the majority of the gay community.

I suppose we simply have different view points concerning this issue.

It is still considered offensive to the majority of the gay community.

That depends on who you talk to. I'm gay, and it doesn't offend me. I know plenty of gay people who get outraged by it, and plenty who simply couldn't care less. Personally, I think it's a waste of time to get so upset about it, for all the reasons I just explained. I also think that if you want to convince people that it's a dumb thing to say, there are more effective ways then trying to turn the situation on them, when it really doesn't work the same way. Generally, if someone uses "gay" in a way that bothers me (like from their tone of voice or something), I just make it explicitly mean homosexual, and it makes them sound totally ridiculous.

"Dude, that test was so gay!"
"No way, it had sex with other tests?? How is that even anatomically possible!?!?!"
"...."

The thing is, using it negatively and trying to have it imply homosexuality at the same time never makes sense. Which is why I'll get offended if someone like, calls someone gay in a really hostile or offensive way. But not if they try to imply that their toaster has sex with other toasters because it burned their bagel. ;)

The comment doesn't bother me.

I just :roll: because it show's one's intelligence level when one resorts to that comment.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

That is slang language to use "That is gay!" in 80's. I understand it clear but now 2009 we not use it anymore. I not use to say that but just in my head, "yeah you are gay" Smiles

As a gay male I really don't find it that offensive because, beyond the word I see the negative connotation isn't really directed at those who are gay...

but do I like it? No, but I understand the word "negro" was used a lot in the 60's and that word eventually (after the great MLK (et al) earned their rights) died down and now is barely ever used, at least in a negative context.

I just feel as society we're constantly progressing and eventually the term, at least the negative way it's used, will just die down.

Gay used to be "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy!" It was very common uses back then, and now in about 18 or 19 century, psychologist(s) changed the term refers to homosexual.
Now young people used this term refers to something similar, "oh that's stupid."

Gay changed three times. Maybe in other ten or 50 or 65 years in the future, it'll changes again. So, I sort of used to it. Sorry people. Unless they said it all the time, it's annoying.

That is slang language to use "That is gay!" in 80's. I understand it clear but now 2009 we not use it anymore. I not use to say that but just in my head, "yeah you are gay" Smiles

I see that all the time on World of Warcraft. Lots of people still say that.

fyi, I'm hearing and gay. This is how I feel.

That's gay. He's gay. They're very gay. I'm gay. All of these short sentences have very different meanings. English is a language in use and like all languages in use meanings change over time. What they really mean to say is: that's lame, he's a sinner, they're flamboyant and I am a homosexual. I would like to share with you my personal beliefs behind each one of those meanings.

Popular culture has changed the word gay to mean lame and the associated adjectives. Today this word is being used to express someone's dissatisfaction with the current situation making it equivalent to the word "sucks". This word has caught on like a wildfire among adolescent youths spreading from school to school. Kids are saying "homework is gay" when they really want to say that the homework is lame or boring. This definition is used so casually that people forget that this word can cause pain.

Gay is a word filled with shame. The word is whispered for fear of someone overhearing. That word is equivalent to sin. That word has imprisoned them and locked them in a jail of secrecy. A constant internal battle rages inside their minds relentlessly combating their feelings and beliefs. Religion condemns all gay people to hell. When homosexual people are also religious they must challenge their church and themselves. This label causes pain to the bearer. The shame caused by this usage causes young gay people to stay hidden in the closet.

Gay is a way of being or a way of acting. This meaning has roots in the more colorful side of gay life. Stereotypical descriptions of gay
people include drag queens, cross-dressing and effeminate men. People who "act" gay are often very outgoing and expressive. This stereotypical description may come from the fact that gay people are attracted to theatre and performing arts. It should be noted that using gay in this way can be offensive.

The word gay is a deeply rooted identity in some circles of people. Gay is a definition of a person. That single word symbolizes their personal struggle throughout life. Reaching the point where someone can openly say they are indeed gay means that they have fought their personal feelings and societies feelings about their lifestyle. They have confronted their religious beliefs and the beliefs of their parents. People who define their identity with the word gay have found their community and are filled with pride and a sense of belonging.

I am a very critical thinker and I always evaluate each and every word people say. In English it is important to find the meaning behind the word in order to grasp the entire concept. I feel that the word gay has been misrepresented and construed. I want everyone to learn the inherent mental feelings behind each meaning. Gay is a very powerful word, so use it with caution.

fyi, I'm hearing and gay. This is how I feel.

That's gay. He's gay. They're very gay. I'm gay. All of these short sentences have very different meanings. English is a language in use and like all languages in use meanings change over time. What they really mean to say is: that's lame, he's a sinner, they're flamboyant and I am a homosexual. I would like to share with you my personal beliefs behind each one of those meanings.

Popular culture has changed the word gay to mean lame and the associated adjectives. Today this word is being used to express someone's dissatisfaction with the current situation making it equivalent to the word "sucks". This word has caught on like a wildfire among adolescent youths spreading from school to school. Kids are saying "homework is gay" when they really want to say that the homework is lame or boring. This definition is used so casually that people forget that this word can cause pain.

Gay is a word filled with shame. The word is whispered for fear of someone overhearing. That word is equivalent to sin. That word has imprisoned them and locked them in a jail of secrecy. A constant internal battle rages inside their minds relentlessly combating their feelings and beliefs. Religion condemns all gay people to hell. When homosexual people are also religious they must challenge their church and themselves. This label causes pain to the bearer. The shame caused by this usage causes young gay people to stay hidden in the closet.

Gay is a way of being or a way of acting. This meaning has roots in the more colorful side of gay life. Stereotypical descriptions of gay
people include drag queens, cross-dressing and effeminate men. People who "act" gay are often very outgoing and expressive. This stereotypical description may come from the fact that gay people are attracted to theatre and performing arts. It should be noted that using gay in this way can be offensive.

The word gay is a deeply rooted identity in some circles of people. Gay is a definition of a person. That single word symbolizes their personal struggle throughout life. Reaching the point where someone can openly say they are indeed gay means that they have fought their personal feelings and societies feelings about their lifestyle. They have confronted their religious beliefs and the beliefs of their parents. People who define their identity with the word gay have found their community and are filled with pride and a sense of belonging.

I am a very critical thinker and I always evaluate each and every word people say. In English it is important to find the meaning behind the word in order to grasp the entire concept. I feel that the word gay has been misrepresented and construed. I want everyone to learn the inherent mental feelings behind each meaning. Gay is a very powerful word, so use it with caution.

:gpost:
welcome to AD
im too leery of how d/Deafs define themselves....but thats entirely another story

cheers

I think whatever I feel about it, the word is going to be around for a while.

We say "lame," I say it too, and I am not making fun of disabled people. But behind the word is the very clear idea that being lame/unable to walk well is not a good thing. And I think that while the use of "gay" might not be a direct insult to homosexual people, the use of the word in that way does send the idea that not being heterosexual is undesirable.

Sometimes this bothers me, and sometimes it doesn't. I like lsfoster's approach, and I've used it.
Clearly homophobic guy at work: "Those clothes are so gay." (Said with limp wrist, high voice)
Me, polite and pretending to be confused: "Really? My uncle's gay, and he wouldn't wear that."
The guy immediately stopped.

I've done the same thing at people who say "Are you deaf?!" when they really mean "are you stupid?" And some rude, ignorant people definitely do that.

I see the point about language changing. I say "dork" and I mean "goofy person," with no sexual meaning at all. I was really surprised when my Dad (who's in his 70s) got upset by it. Turns out it was originally a dirty word that meant "penis" (and dirtier than "cock" or "dick.")

When I was in high school in the late 80s, people used it then, but I think it really was an expression of deep homophobia. Same way people called someone they didn't like "faggot" or "lesbo." They may not have actually believed the person was gay, but they made it clear being gay was Very, Very Bad.

I think teenagers and college students now seem less likely to mean it as in they have a problem with gay people, but some do. BTW, some kids who clearly don't mean any harm have stopped using it around me when they found out I was gay. Which says something: it still does imply homophobia. I haven't seen people stop using the word "lame" around people who have mobility problems. It doesn't occur to many people 35 and younger that that's what the word literally means. At this point, a lot of people my age and younger would never say someone we knew was "lame" and mean "they walk with braces." We'd mean "they are a loser."

RE medical use of the word "retarded:" that started being used by teachers, medical professionals and families of the people that word refers to as a replacement for words like "idiot" and "moron." Which used to be neutral medical terms, and THEN started being insults! Same thing happened with "retarded" and with "special." So it wasn't that the medical people were bigots.

wow, this is infuriating... idc what you might use gay as context of the word its still considered as homophobic, we're in a progressive society, so therefore dont use the term because its always associated with hidden agenda of homophobics finding every opportunity to lash out the word. they can make excuses or bullshit to cover it up with --- a. oh i dont know that was offensive, b... i have gay friends so i say that all the time.

copied off from wikipedia---
In modern English, gay has come to be used as an adjective, and occasionally as a noun, that refers to the people, practices, and culture associated with homosexuality.

i know that some of you are indifference about it, i still find that very disrespectful. like someone said stupid is as stupid does. (calling gay is almost like oxymoron) original word was supposed to be merry/happy/cheerfully? you basically contradict yourself.

i suppose when you ask a person, to do a poll: for example first thing come to your mind what's the definition of 'gay' i'll bet you 90 percent will say its associated with sexuality so, indifference is worst than hatred because you're basically in your own bliss of ignorance.

Back