Any metal workers?

jonnyghost

Reaction score
Over the years I've been turning my garage into a hobby metal fab/machine shop. Rebuilding my jeep motor now and so far I've been able to do all the machine work myself. Would be more fun if it wasn't my primary transport :lol:

Anyone else here into metal working of any kind?

I do quite a bit of welding. no real experience with machine shop stuff

That's how I got started. Mostly building frames for off road trucks and rust repair. What kind of stuff do you build?

mostly projects for myself, vehicle repairs, small fab projects. I wish I could do more but have a bad back that limits a lot of what I can do

I used to teach industrial arts which included metal shop.

I worked and ran a full machine shop, rebuilding, troubleshooting, modifying and designing machinery with combinations of all ( Mechanical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic and electronics ) I would order parts, or use parts in stock, and if there were no parts that were immediately needed I made it myself.... pretty awesome to do. Ive been out of that field since 1992 but would love to have my own personal shop at home just to tinker...which may happen in the near future.

I worked and ran a full machine shop, rebuilding, troubleshooting, modifying and designing machinery with combinations of all ( Mechanical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic and electronics ) I would order parts, or use parts in stock, and if there were no parts that were immediately needed I made it myself.... pretty awesome to do. Ive been out of that field since 1992 but would love to have my own personal shop at home just to tinker...which may happen in the near future.

That's awesome. I love fabricating for my antique tractors but I really want to build motorcycles. As soon as I finish my jeep motor I'll be rolling in an old honda. Think I'm going to make it into a scrambler.

Now that I have a lathe and some milling stuff I find I can make tools as needed. I just built a set of cutters to do the 3 angle valve job on the jeep head.

That's awesome. I love fabricating for my antique tractors but I really want to build motorcycles. As soon as I finish my jeep motor I'll be rolling in an old honda. Think I'm going to make it into a scrambler.

Now that I have a lathe and some milling stuff I find I can make tools as needed. I just built a set of cutters to do the 3 angle valve job on the jeep head.
I used to get odd parts from other companies to make, as ordering over seas took too long to ship or were pricey... I made lots of special jig fixtures to mass produce some hard to get items and we made a killing off them. Sometimes I was able to modify the designs to beef up areas that were weak in the parts to help make them last longer or prevent breakage. I actually loved it, and wouldnt mind working in a machine shop again, I worked alone so it was very relaxing to me.

Talk about accidents.... had a girl with long hair in industrial arts, got it caught in a drill press, slammed her head into it and ripped half her scalp off.... owwwwww... probly took a few bandaids to stop that bleeding.

I'm a good fabricater as well. My first apprentice in the metal shop when I was in Jr. high school. I own my 2 Miller welder machines (1-Tig & 1-Mig), just need small lathe machine.
Hey jonnyghost, you make 3 angle valve cutter tool? They are more faster work than old school valve grinder with beveled stones....I used to be an automotive machinist for engine rebuilding company.

I used to get odd parts from other companies to make, as ordering over seas took too long to ship or were pricey... I made lots of special jig fixtures to mass produce some hard to get items and we made a killing off them. Sometimes I was able to modify the designs to beef up areas that were weak in the parts to help make them last longer or prevent breakage. I actually loved it, and wouldnt mind working in a machine shop again, I worked alone so it was very relaxing to me.

Talk about accidents.... had a girl with long hair in industrial arts, got it caught in a drill press, slammed her head into it and ripped half her scalp off.... owwwwww... probly took a few bandaids to stop that bleeding.

Yeah, I heard the horrible stories about the students and workers thru The Home Shop Machinist forum in some years ago. I don't want to reading this story, feel like I throw up.

I'm a good fabricater as well. My first apprentice in the metal shop when I was in Jr. high school. I own my 2 Miller welder machines (1-Tig & 1-Mig), just need small lathe machine.
Hey jonnyghost, you make 3 angle valve cutter tool? They are more faster work than old school valve grinder with beveled stones....I used to be an automotive machinist for engine rebuilding company.

I just picked up an atlas 618 lathe super cheap from a guy that was happy to see it go to a good home. That's what i used to make my 3 angle cutters. It also re faced the valves really well.

I've rebuilt a lot of engines but this is the first one i did all the machining so we'll see how it goes :shock:

I've got a mig. I would LOVE to get a tig some day.

I just picked up an atlas 618 lathe super cheap from a guy that was happy to see it go to a good home. That's what i used to make my 3 angle cutters. It also re faced the valves really well.

I've rebuilt a lot of engines but this is the first one i did all the machining so we'll see how it goes :shock:

I've got a mig. I would LOVE to get a tig some day.

Oh dang, I want this one bad for long time. Very good Amercian made lathe. One problem is my garage have no room for Atlas lathe machine to move in. :( My Miller welding machines are Syncrowave 180 SD for Tig or Stick and Millermatic 175 Mig. Both are old models, good machines, no problems since purchased both machines.

Miller makes a good machine. I used to weld a lot with one. I ended up with a lincoln 140 mig because my local supply store only carried lincoln. I was a little hesitant but it's been no trouble for 5 years now. Fingers crossed :D

I know a few people that teach. Some of the accident stories they tell make me cringe :eek3: Kids and power tools :hmm:

It all has to do with proper instruction and keeping an eye on your problem children and if you see a problem, re instruct until they get it. Lucky for me I never had anything serious happen.

Miller makes a good machine. I used to weld a lot with one. I ended up with a lincoln 140 mig because my local supply store only carried lincoln. I was a little hesitant but it's been no trouble for 5 years now. Fingers crossed :D

Lincoln Mig welding machines are superior than Miller. I last operated Lincoln mig welding machine when I was working for auto/truck shop. Top tig welding machine is Miller I think. I can't complain my old Miller mig... I've seen more high technology welding machines are smaller and lightweight than older welding machines, new voltage inverter design like dual voltage of 115/120 or 230/240.

It all has to do with proper instruction and keeping an eye on your problem children and if you see a problem, re instruct until they get it. Lucky for me I never had anything serious happen.

I remember I operated camshaft grinder machine to reground camshafts for engine rebuilding company and customer own rebuilding requests, my shop foreman had his 10 years old son to running the camshaft polish on the South Bend lathe machine, foreman tell me to keep eye on him to operating the lathe machine. I was worried about him but nothing wrong with a little gifted boy. He use a roll of grit cloth to polish the cam journals as final finish prior to packing in the boxes. Cool boy..

As soon as I finish my jeep motor I'll be rolling in an old honda. Think I'm going to make it into a scrambler.

OR a june bug? lol

I just putter around in my garage and weld up busted stuff with my cheap hobart mig, sometimes fabricate something with scrap metal into something useful for towing or tractoring . I wish I could afford a tig or even a 220v mig with gas. If I had the time and money - I would be rolling in a late 70's,early 80's el camino and convert to hotrod with diesel engine and make it my daily driver with towing capabilty. :D

June bug? Is that a motorcycle style? Sounds cool :D

My 140 is 120v with gas. More welder than i need 99% of the time. Unless you weld a lot of .25" 120v is fine. If you've been using flux core for a while you will be amazed with real gas mig. What hobart do you have? Some are upgradeable.

Back