Could there be First Deaf Player in the NFL?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
He looks good enough to play in the pros but i hope baltimore ravens draft him. I hope ray lewis teaches him to play linebacker if ravens GM ozzie newsome drafts him. He moves as soon QB snaps the ball and he reacts like a lion. He would be great for road games cause he cant hear the loud crowd noise. Theres only one problem,,When ref blows the whistle after play is over and you nail him its a 15 yard penalty for late hit. But he cant hear boos nether so ravens fans cant voice their opinon at him. But he cant understand when players trash talk him nether. Read more Here

No there is two deaf former player for NFL in 70's and 90's. Those new deaf players are going on and on..

There were already two, like she mentioned but I know one of those two is Kenny Walker (PLayed for the Denver Broncos). I believe he worked at Iowa School for the Deaf as asst. football coach.

Change the title of this topic because it is misleading; there have been deaf pro players before.

I heard about Kenny Walker, but not sure where he is at now...

chronic inzane said:
There were already two, like she mentioned but I know one of those two is Kenny Walker (PLayed for the Denver Broncos). I believe he worked at Iowa School for the Deaf as asst. football coach.

here is the facts that Kenny Walker is my grew up classmates from childhood before he move to Texas .. yeah he was played for Denver Broncos then i wasn't sure what team he was played for CFL before he left for Iowa but now ??? don't know where but i can ask my friend who keep in touch with him once awhile .. he might know where he is now ..

here is the story about kenny walker ...
http://deafness.about.com/cs/afam/a/kennywalker.htm

Last edited:
From what I know, good Ole Kenny Walker's up in Alaska doing some job similar to VR.

And, The first person that played NFL name is Bonnie Sloan. And there was a guy who had a contract with the Redskins, his name is Garry Washington. One of the fastest ducks you would ever see. He walked off the contract after his mother died.

Nozobo can verify this.

On a side note: Did you know that John Hubbard Graduate of CSDB (Colorado) 1884, Graudate of Gallaudet University 1888 was credited with inventing the Huddle.

And some pu$$y$hit deaf dude invented the facemask.

There is deaf who play for college football - OSU, name is Martel Van Zant.

hope he will play good enough to get in NFL

He's 6'2'' and 205 pounds. Hmm...not big enough for the cornerback in NFL. Correct me if I'm mistake.

He's 6'2'' and 205 pounds. Hmm...not big enough for the cornerback in NFL. Correct me if I'm mistake.

he was starter 15 time last year
if he is better this year, could be enough to play for NFL. If not.. hello CFL.

From what I know, good Ole Kenny Walker's up in Alaska doing some job similar to VR.

And, The first person that played NFL name is Bonnie Sloan. And there was a guy who had a contract with the Redskins, his name is Garry Washington. One of the fastest ducks you would ever see. He walked off the contract after his mother died.

Nozobo can verify this.

Bonnie Sloan played college football at Austin Peay then played for St louis Cards

also Albert Berg was the first football coach at Purdue. Berg graduated from Princeton University and became Purdue University's head coach in 1887 at the age of 23.

Berg's team had just one week of practice before their first and only game, a 48-6 loss to Butler University.

Berg was both deaf and mute. His deafness was caused by childhood spinal meningitis, and his muteness grew out of shyness and embarrassment over his inability to hear. He communicated mostly by writing.

I'm surprised it is possible for deaf players to play in NFL, it must be difficult with all the calls and stuff that their fellow players make. I suppose if the player is good enough though they can get around any issues

I'm surprised it is possible for deaf players to play in NFL, it must be difficult with all the calls and stuff that their fellow players make. I suppose if the player is good enough though they can get around any issues

Deaf people can do anything with the right occupation, right people, right teamwork. I'm sure the players and the coach value good deaf players enough to show support through hand signs, tap on shoulder, or whatever.

When i was riding in competition, I couldn't hear the judges so my trainer would use 1 for walk, 2 for trot, 3 for canter and hand over two for sit trot. It worked out very well....

Back