Re-Examining the Deaf Education Continuum

Cousin Vinny

Reaction score
Here's another blog entry; given the latest developments in law and education, should we re-examine the continuum of services that are available in Deaf Education for Deaf/HH students, parents, and educators?

Check it out - Re-Examining the Deaf Education Continuum

Comment here or in the blog. Thank you for reading!

Opened for me.

And, yes, we do need to re-examine the continuum of services. I would love to see special ed teachers requirements re-evaluated. One chapter in a text book on diverse students is not enough, given the number of deaf students that are served by special ed depts. in the mainstream.

And, yes, we do need to re-examine the continuum of services. I would love to see special ed teachers requirements re-evaluated. One chapter in a text book on diverse students is not enough, given the number of deaf students that are served by special ed depts. in the mainstream.
Thank you for commenting on this issue. Thanks to the NCLB act, more and more special education teachers are becoming 'highly qualified'. It's just a matter of better collaboration between teachers and the itinerant teacher for Deaf/HH students in the mainstream.

My next topic will center on the self-contained classroom; I'm thinking of compiling a list, where the parents can ask the educators about the classroom, the teacher, curriculum, red flags, etc.

I would love to see special ed teachers requirements re-evaluated. One chapter in a text book on diverse students is not enough, given the number of deaf students that are served by special ed depts. in the mainstream.
I think the BIGGEST thing that hurt us was placing mainstream deaf ed under the ageis of special ed. There is a HUGE difference between educating a kid with social/emotional and learning problems (trying to ameriolarate remedial kids) vs. a dhh, low vision or orthapedicly disabled kid who just needs the content taught in a different way. I found that the biggest problem for me in the mainstream was that I got lumped in with the kids who were warehoused in Resource Room b/c it was a dumping ground.. Instead I got " Oh she's smart but she's not responding well to our minimal accomondation approach, so she's a slacker will will only end up on disabilty
I really think if I'd been in a formal dhh program, i would have done SO much better academicly, socially and emotionally. In fact I know I would have. At BCC when i got C-print I made Dean's List both semesters I was there!

Thank you for commenting on this issue. Thanks to the NCLB act, more and more special education teachers are becoming 'highly qualified'. It's just a matter of better collaboration between teachers and the itinerant teacher for Deaf/HH students in the mainstream.

My next topic will center on the self-contained classroom; I'm thinking of compiling a list, where the parents can ask the educators about the classroom, the teacher, curriculum, red flags, etc.

That may be true in the more wealthy school districts. But here in Appalachia, it isn't neccessarily true for special ed teachers. NCLB has hurt those districts and other less than wealthy school districts across the country.

Back