Captions for Webinars?

MeariBee

Reaction score
Hey there! I joined this community because a coworker of mine is deaf and is needing help watching webinars at our work. We have looked into speech-to-text apps and online programs as well as software, but are unsure which would be best. He would like to watch these web seminars and meetings and somehow get real-time captions pop up to show what is being said.

I've downloaded a few random speech-to-text apps on my android phone to test out but they don't seem that great... One works well but it only will listen to about 10 seconds of audio before stopping the translation.

Coworker uses Windows 7 computer and has access to Internet. We called the company that does Dragon software but they advised that it's more for dictation and may not be the best for this situation. What he will need is something that picks up voice on computer and will translate to captions in real time so he can keep up with the presentation/training on screen.

Hope this makes sense... Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm not sure if there is anything like that right now. I've had the same question over the years. Some "net meetings" you can do text along with the voice but people tend to forget the text when they get going on their conversation lol. (I actually liked the Net meeting- I've forgotten what it was called- because you could do EITHER voice or text chat and sometimes we did do the text chat...).

I think the closest thing you could maybe do is a CART transcriber...

Communication Access Real-Time Translation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That may work if the webinars or meetings are already scheduled and not prone to being rescheduled 592501 times. I don't know where one would go to inquire about services though...

I'm not sure if there is anything like that right now. I've had the same question over the years. Some "net meetings" you can do text along with the voice but people tend to forget the text when they get going on their conversation lol. (I actually liked the Net meeting- I've forgotten what it was called- because you could do EITHER voice or text chat and sometimes we did do the text chat...).

I think the closest thing you could maybe do is a CART transcriber...

Communication Access Real-Time Translation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That may work if the webinars or meetings are already scheduled and not prone to being rescheduled 592501 times. I don't know where one would go to inquire about services though...

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm not sure if his web training/meetings are scheduled far in advance or not... Will have to ask. I know the ones that I have attended usually have text as well but people sometimes forget to pay attention to the little chat boxes, lol.

Right now he has a ASL translator for these online meetings/training, but that gets expensive... :( I will show this link to my other coworkers that are helping with this... Thanks again for the suggestion!

Back