Can google glasses help the deaf communicate?

The Joker

Reaction score
Like when you wear them someone speaks to you in voice can you read captioning on glasses?

It still isn't 100%. Speech to text is not an exact science (as evidenced by how bad the youtube autocaptioning is...). You'd almost have to have perfect diction, a good pace- not too fast or slow, and very little accent in order to get better than 90% correct text. Speaking to Siri is an example. I watched my nephew play with that feature on my iPad once- HE even had a hard time getting it to understand clearly- had to repeat a few times and enunciate better (well that part was actually a GOOD thing lol- he tends to mumble at times).

Maybe someday but I don't see it happening soon.

Unfortunately it's going to be a while yet before that kind of capability is accurate and useful. Right now the listening and transcribing isn't very accurate, not to mention it'd have to take into account background noise, distance, accent, etc. Then they'd have to use a processor powerful enough to do it all in real-time, because a lag, even a second long, would make it aggravating.

I'd estimate that it'll be another 5-10 years before something like this is feasible.

Back