I have several questions for the deaf community?

justmeuh08

Reaction score
Hello, I am sorry. I decided that it was best to edit this thread to this, to avoid inadvertently offending anyone by my mass number of questions. My apologies, once again.

Last edited:
Let me help you out here: first thing ASL students need to learn is this: .....do not ask alldeaf members to answer a survey or a questionnaire.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Not to be unhelpful, but the point of these questions is to get you involved and communicating with Hoh/Deaf in your local area in person.

The point of the excercise is lost if you're not doing that.

If you aren't sure who to ask, talk to your ASL teacher for suggestions on where you can go, who you can ask etc.

you came to the right forum, and read every threads that will apply to your questions. Trust me.
so you are learning about ASL then learn from each of us by talking to us like normal, not interviewing us or questioning us like we are in the jail which we are not. ;)

welcome.

Am I the only one that feels like a 'freak of nature' after reading those questions?

I am sorry if I have offended any of you in any way and am quite worried if I have, because that was not my intent. I am passionate about learning ASL and learning more about the Deaf community and have been reading up on the threads, all of which have been very informative as I am still learning something new everyday.

Please let me try to remedy this situation by explaining myself. I have interacted with HoH/ Deaf people in my local area (gone to Deaf churches, local events, etc.), and have tried to get past just knowing names, and getting to actually know them as an individual person. Despite my best efforts, I am having difficulty finding someone willing to sit down long enough for me to interview for class. Maybe it is because I am a bit of a timid and shy person, or maybe it is because I have a limited knowledge of ASL. Maybe I am in the wrong despite my best intentions. I have contacted my instructor for help in this matter and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I have quickly learned that just posting my questions on a forum is not the right way to go about it, and I apologize again. I am open to any suggestions, as well as constructive criticism. One can only learn from one's mistakes, right? I again apologize if I have offended any of you in any way.

I apologize if I have offended anyone in anyway and am quite worried that I have, it was not my intent to do so.
I am passionate about continuing to learn ASL and learn more about the Deaf community, hence why I took ASL and am currently taking deaf Culture. I am generally new to this whole forum thing and the Deaf community. I have been reading up on the threads and find them very informative as I am learning something new everyday.

I have interacted with HoH/Deaf people in my local area (Deaf church, local events, etc.) and have been working hard to start building relationships and getting to learn more about everyone as an individual. Maybe it is because I am a bit of a shy and timid person, or maybe it's because of my limited knowledge of ASL, but for the past several weeks I have been trying to get someone to sit down long enough for me to interview them for class. I have contacted my instructor about this matter and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I have quickly learned that posting a whole bunch of questions on a forum is the wrong way about it and I apologize once again if I have offended anyone. I am open to any suggestions, constructive criticisms are welcomed as well. One can only learn from one's mistakes right? I apologize once again I have offended anyone in any way.

Perhaps don't do it as an interview format (when you are interacting with them in person.) I say this based off your "I have been trying to get someone to sit down long enough for me to interview them for class." Honestly, when I am at the deaf club, the last thing I want to feel like is being interviewed. Yet, when ASL students come up to me and start chatting I am more than forthcoming when it doesn't feel "interview-like". I get enough of that from a job interview :) Just friendly advice.

If you're doing this for a school project, I understand you may have a deadline. But if you're doing this as just a general interest for yourself, take your time. The approach of "I want to know everything right away" puts people off.

Back