Mom Seeks Guidance For Son Questioning Legal Marijuana

rockin'robin

Reaction score
DEAR ABBY: Due to various anti-drug lectures he was exposed to at school, my 13-year-old son believes that marijuana is not only illegal, but also is very bad for you. He said it is poison.

My state has recently legalized marijuana and I am at a loss about how to explain to him that pot is no longer "that bad," as people partake of it in a responsible manner going forward. Any suggestions? -- COLORADO MOM

DEAR MOM: Marijuana isn't poison, unless it was sprayed with a poisonous chemical before being harvested. The marijuana being sold to adults in the states where it is now legal has been carefully cultivated and harvested. Its use is not encouraged among teenagers, however, because research has shown it can impair brain development among young people.

Stress to your son that like alcohol, marijuana can slow reaction time and impair judgment and memory, which is why it's illegal for minors to use it. Whether it will become legal across the nation is still an open question. If it's abused the way that alcohol sometimes is, smoking weed may also be harmful because, like any smoke, it poses a risk to the lungs.

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-seeks-guidance-son-questioning-legal-marijuana-050012664.html

I did not know Abby is still alive. I think his sister, Ann Landers, passed.

I don't know much about weeds, joints or marijuana. If it is legal, I think it would be safe if the kids will become an adults in smoking it but I think they are going for it no matter what ages they are. :hmm:

I did not know Abby is still alive. I think his sister, Ann Landers, passed.

I don't know much about weeds, joints or marijuana. If it is legal, I think it would be safe if the kids will become an adults in smoking it but I think they are going for it no matter what ages they are. :hmm:

:hmm:...you never partaked in smoking the "peace pipe?"..Felt sure all Indians did this a lot.....

Abby IS dead. Her daughter does it now. And there's a shit ton of weed full of insecticide and herbicide and rodenticide grown in California right now, in illegal grows. The poisons are killing off the fisher population, poisoning bears, bobcats, you name it. Most marijuana isn't completely organic, even if grown in greenhouses.

Back