Attempted Suicide By Train Causes 9+ Deaths.

prostock19

Reaction score
In Glendale, Ca, 2 Metrolink commuter trains and 1 Union Pacific Maintenace train we involved in a crash after one of the trains struck a Jeep that was parked on the tracks. So far, the death toll is at 9. Unconfirmed reports state that this was an attempted "Suicide by train", an act that has become more and more popular. This one was different. Usually people jump in front of the train. Unconfirmed reports state that the person chickened out at the last minute and ran from the scene.

Suicide by train affects MANY people. Some engineers have had major mental breakdowns because the "killed" someone. Suicide by train effects MANY people. :tears:

The death toll is now up to 10!!!

The suspect was caught and being charged with MURDER!!!

That guy should have taken this....

PdrmSt-JohnWorth180capsAnglais.jpg

Yea, i read yahoo news. Geez...what's wrong with his brain? He was crazy to park on train track then changed his mind about kill himself. He didn't think of other people's lives in train. But good thing they will charge him as Murder. He murder 10 peoples and hurt about 200 peoples in Train.
Crazy!
Mommyof3

I just applied to be an Train engineer and I EXPECT people to try and commit suicide. People think it doesn't effect anyone. It will effect me alot less. Being an EMT and a Police Dispatcher, I am use to death.

This, though, is something I hope I don't encounter. If I did, and survive, I will be in jail because I will go after the idiot.

This really pisses me off. News reports of death by violent accident are usually so ‘distant’. They involve situations that are far away and totally foreign to us. But the Moorpark-Union Station line runs about 500 feet from my house—I hear it twice a day. And it’s the train I’m going to have to take to school next semester on the days that my wife has the car. It’s not ‘distant’ or ‘foreign’ anymore—I could have been on that train. I hope when they strap that f**ker onto the gurney at San Quentin he says something stupid like ‘oh never mind—I changed my mind and don’t want to die today,’ and they just give him a blank stare and shove the needle in his arm. :bye:

Levonian said:
This really pisses me off. News reports of death by violent accident are usually so ‘distant’. They involve situations that are far away and totally foreign to us. But the Moorpark-Union Station line runs about 500 feet from my house—I hear it twice a day. And it’s the train I’m going to have to take to school next semester on the days that my wife has the car. It’s not ‘distant’ or ‘foreign’ anymore—I could have been on that train. I hope when they strap that f**ker onto the gurney at San Quentin he says something stupid like ‘oh never mind—I changed my mind and don’t want to die today,’ and they just give him a blank stare and shove the needle in his arm. :bye:

I know how you feel, Levonian.

I've been avoiding this thread all day long because, it strikes a personal cord for me. Someone I knew who was very close to me committed suicide by train roughly ten years ago. Had he lived, he would have been 39 years old in roughly 2.5 weeks. I don't think I have to tell you the pain and anguish I feel over this. But, that's one thing. I'm also extremely angry about what he did. In my mind, not only did he take himself out, but he also fucked up someone else' life, too. Not only do his loved ones have to live with what he did, but so does that poor train conductor who was in control of that train that day. Imagine what he must live with day in and day out.

What a waste!

Police say a suicidal Juan Manuel Alvarez, 25, parked his SUV on the tracks and got out just before the Metrolink train hit it.

Attachments

• man.jpg
    man.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2
prostock19 said:
I just applied to be an Train engineer and I EXPECT people to try and commit suicide. People think it doesn't effect anyone. It will effect me alot less. Being an EMT and a Police Dispatcher, I am use to death.

This, though, is something I hope I don't encounter. If I did, and survive, I will be in jail because I will go after the idiot.

Hi, are you deaf or hearing?? Cuz I just read ur comment that ur emt and police dispatcher... If ur deaf, how does it work for you being emt and dispatcher?? Im curious.

Man Leaves SUV on Tracks, Causing Deadly Wreck
Los Angeles-Area Commuter Train Plows Into Parked Vehicle
By TIM MOLLOY, AP

GLENDALE, Calif. (Jan. 26) - A suicidal man parked his SUV on the railroad tracks and set off a crash of two commuter trains Wednesday that hurled passengers down the aisles and turned rail cars into smoking, twisted heaps of steel, authorities said. At least 10 people were killed and more than 180 injured.

The SUV driver got out at the last moment and survived.

The collision took place just before daybreak on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Employees at a Costco store rushed to the scene and pulled riders from the tipped-over double-deck cars before the flames reached them. Dazed passengers staggered from the wreckage, some limping. One elderly man on the train was covered in blood and soot, his legs and arms apparently broken.

"I heard a noise. It got louder and louder," said passenger Diane Brady, 56. "And next thing I knew the train tilted, everyone was screaming and I held onto a pole for dear life. I held on for what seemed like a week and a half it seemed. It was a complete nightmare."

Dozens of the injured were in critical condition, and more than 120 people were sent to hospitals in the nation's deadliest train accident in nearly six years. Killed were one woman and nine men, including sheriff's Deputy James Tutino, 47, whose flag-draped body was saluted by law officers and firefighters as it was carried from the wreckage.

Before his rescue, one trapped man apparently used his own blood to write a note on a seat bottom. Using the heart symbol, he wrote "I love my kids" and "I love Leslie." The man's identity was not known, but Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Rex Vilaubi said the man was alive when he was removed.

The wreck set in motion a huge rescue operation involving more than 300 firefighters, some of whom climbed ladders to reach the windows of the battered train cars. A triage center was set up in a parking lot, where the injured lay sprawled on color-colded mats - red for those with severe injuries, green for those less seriously hurt.

Authorities said Juan Manuel Alvarez, 25, of Compton, parked his sport utility vehicle on the tracks and got out before a Metrolink train smashed into the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The train then derailed and collided with another train going in the opposite direction. That train also jumped the tracks.

Alvarez was arrested and expected to be booked for investigation of a "homicide-related offense," said police Sgt. Tom Lorenz. Alvarez had also slashed his wrists and stabbed himself, but the injuries were not life-threatening. Authorities said Alvarez had a criminal record that involved drugs. District Attorney Steve Cooley said no decision had been made on charges in the wreck.

"This whole incident was started by a deranged individual that was suicidal," Glendale Police Chief Randy Adams said. "I think his intent at that time was to take his own life but changed his mind prior to the train actually striking this vehicle."

Alvarez's sister-in-law, Maricela Amaya, told Telemundo TV that he had separated from his wife, Carmelita, three months ago. She said the wife got a court order to keep him away, but he had tried to see his wife and son.

"He was having problems with drugs and all that and was violent and because of that he separated from her," Amaya said in Spanish. "A few other times he went around as if he wanted to kill himself. I said if you're going to kill yourself, go kill yourself far away. Don't come by here telling that to my sister."

She said he had also threatened suicide in front of his son.

The crash occurred at about 6 a.m. in an industrial area of Glendale, a suburb north of Los Angeles. One train was headed for Los Angeles' Union Station from Moorpark, a western suburb. The other train was outbound from Union Station to the San Fernando Valley.

Costco employee Jenny Doll said trapped passengers - some severely injured - screamed for help as flames raced toward the front of the train car and smoke and diesel fumes filled the air. Forklift operators, truck drivers and stock clerks from Costco worked side-by-side to pull victims out, using store carts to wheel some of the most severely injured to safety.

"There were people stuck in the front. Everything was mangled," Doll said. "You could not even tell that it was a train cab at all."

It was the worst U.S. rail tragedy since March 15, 1999, when an Amtrak train hit a truck and derailed near Bourbonnais, Ill., killing 11 people and injuring more than 100.

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Railroad Administration were sent.

Past crashes have raised questions about whether rail lines should be separated from roadways to prevent the possibility of vehicles getting onto train tracks. But Wednesday's tragedy also drew criticism over the configuration of the train that struck the SUV.

Timothy Smith, state legislative chairman for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, faulted the rail line for its use of the "cab-car" to lead the train, with the locomotive pushing from the rear. Unlike a locomotive, a cab car has a small control booth for the engineer, along with passenger seating.

If the heavier locomotive was at the front of the train, Smith said, it would have probably pushed the vehicle off the tracks and avoided a derailment. Having a locomotive pushing from the rear also creates an "accordion" effect on the middle cars, increasing damage, he said.

01/26/05 20:42 EST

This man would try to kill himself because he loves his wife and son soooo much. And he won't stop doing drugs. And he was violent toward his wife.
And now he is a murderer. I wonder if his son and ex wife are upset by this. Are their life ruined now?

His lawyer will get him off with the insanity defense..That like the liberal texas supreme court overturn andrea yates death penalty conviction.

ravensteve1961 said:
His lawyer will get him off with the insanity defense..That like the liberal texas supreme court overturn andrea yates death penalty conviction.

Nope. He had enough control of his senses think of self-preservation and leapt out before impact. He knew what he was doing was wrong.

Hope that the court will make him lie on the tracks and get run over by the train 11 times for each victim.

To give him a taste of medicine for what he was asking for.

Back