How much do you wear your hearing aids?

How often do you wear your hearing aids/CI?

• Always

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Never

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

natty_4ever

Reaction score
Explain why you chose your answer, I'm curious!

Never get used to them if you don't wear them! If not going to wear then save your money for something else. Like good wine, all things improve over time.

I was just wondering, because some people hate wearing hearing aids or don't feel like they need to wear them. It's interesting to see everyone's reason WHY they do/don't use HAs or CIs!

I wear mine everyday for now because I'm around hearing people 24/7, and I feel like they help me lipread them. Whenever I'm with deaf people, I don't use them though. When I get to Gallaudet, I will probably not use them as often because I won't need them if I'm around signing.

Always. I have since I was very young. I don't necessarily wear it for lipreading, but to avoid being run over by a car.

Always - considering I always interact with hearing people... and hardly ever with deaf or hoh people. And I communicate with speech, so hearing speech is important since it helps fill in the gaps with the lipreading.

I always wear my ha/ci inside and outside home even with deaf people but majority of the time I am with hearing people. I live alone, I still wears them, I don't know why, I guess I am comfortable with them although, I do take my HA off early though as the mold irriates me.

I have recently tried to quit wearing them... but the ringing made me feel as if I was going MADD so they have been removed from the drawer and I'm back to wearing them daily, but not all day :(

Tinnitus- 1
Blank Canvas- 0

Sometimes: I have to wear them for work, while I can hear anything I make the most of a normal(ish) job. At home I don't wear them much at all.

I've been in most of those groups over the years. At the moment I wear them almost all day. I do take them out sometimes when I am having an overwhelming day, or those days where louder nonsense is no better than quiet nonsense. The previous ones I used to wear only for certain situations like if I was going to a lecture or something like that. Before that I wore them only when the TOD was coming! Or when I was with the teacher that used to check I had them in at the start of class.

My mum is one of the "never" people. The downside of the free loan hearing aids from the British health service is that they are often (though not always, depends where you live) poor hearing aids and almost always with poor aftercare. My mum is one of the ones told "your hearing aids are right, you will have to get used to them, come back in 3 years" and it didn't matter that her earmoulds hurt her all the time, or that they set up no programs for her as she's over 70 thus would be "unable to manage" just because of her age and never mind her expertise. People can go to the private sector for better hearing aids, but are often scared to go because if this is how terrible hearing aids are who needs to pay for one, right? They haven't realised they have just experienced a poor fitting.

I think both of us would have been able to adjust much better if we'd have been fitted binaurally straight after the hearing loss became apparent, but I missed 6 years, my mum missed about 40 years and then was fitted with one hearing aid simply because she was over 55. She's since been fitted binaurally, but cannot get the ear that didn't wear a hearing aid before to catch up. If we were both kids today and were fitted quickly with modern digital technology I think we'd be better off. I kept on going back and back to the clinic till I got something that convinced me hearing aids could be comfortable and worth wearing, my mum has given up now, which is a shame.

PS. Wonder if there would be more "never" answers if this were in a Deaf culture section not the HA/CI section as most who come in this area of the board are the wearers.

I had to pick "other". That although I wear my CI / hearing aid on a daily basis. I don't necessarily wear them 24/7. Sometime I take a break from them when I'm home by myself. Always wear my CI when I go out though.

well ... I have to take my statement back. I take mine out when I am working out or doing yard work. They are not water proof.

I wear mine everyday. I do take them out in the evening at times to give myself some peace and quiet.

I wear them to help me communicate with day to day people.

As for wearing my Cochlear Implant- all the time except when swimming or sleeping. I did the same thing when I had my Phonak Hearing aids over 35 years.

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

I don't tend to wear my HA at home or if I'm going anywhere very noisy.

When I was working full time, I'd wear it at work, then take it off when I got home (I have a 'Deaf home" ie signallers etc, so it's nice to take a break)

Wear my aids most of the time...although in the evening I take them out.

I have recently tried to quit wearing them... but the ringing made me feel as if I was going MADD so they have been removed from the drawer and I'm back to wearing them daily, but not all day :(

Tinnitus- 1
Blank Canvas- 0

Potts has the same problem, fyi. He still hasnt put them back on.

Back