Grendel

One thing I guess Denmark didn't consider is-as population ages, more people will become deaf or hoh. And probably most of them won't have CI's.

PFH: wake up> reality check how would a Cheetah know you were deaf? Did the Cheetah use ASL to advise 'he' was going to kill you - rather then kill you in the first place? How/where could a Cheetah learn ASL to start with:wave:? Do Cheetah converse with other animals in ASL say zebras?

In another cult-Vampire Freaks-supposed a gorilla knew ASL as well. Unanswered how the gorilla could/did learn ASL?

Was that the foreign trip you took on your tricycle? Yeah saves on gas-to say the least- though a bit slow over distance. Any trouble on their highways-moving along?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
PFH: wake up> reality check how would a Cheetah know you were deaf? Did the Cheetah use ASL to advise he was going to kill you- supposedly you are deaf? Was that the foreign trip on tricycle?

HAHA I gotta admit I played out a cheetah using ASL in my head after reading this.. Comical!

Jillio: really. You haven't explained what the deaf "did" prior to introduction of signs devised in France which resulted in ASL in the United States? Before Hearing aids?
History irrelevant again?
I am not teaching just reasoning-dude!

Jillio: really. You haven't explained what the deaf "did" prior to introduction of signs devised in France which resulted in ASL in the United States? Before Hearing aids?
Can you?

Like i said... they signed, and I corrected you on your uninformed spewings.

Historical accounts dating back to the antique stated there were people who talked with their hands.

The notion of teaching the Deaf in France in their own language was derived from watching two girls communicate with each others.

The alphabet was derived from the Spanish missionaries teaching the Deaf several centuries prior to the first Deaf school in France.

Interesting reading the above consecutive comments. Unanswered -what has been going on "sign wise" since the beginning of recorded history with the deaf? Right-secret goat skin documents somewhere-say PFH imagination!

Gee: no books were around-not invented yet! Even more shocking COMPUTERS WEREN'T EITHER!

That is why it is difficult for us today to imagine the world thousands of years ago. How long has the world is existed-relevant to this discussion?

DrPhil, people have been "signing" since the beginning of time.

If you're in a country where you do not know the language, how would you communicate to "natives"? Using SIGN...hand gestures.

I was approached by an Asian woman a few years ago asking me where the bathrooms were. Since she did not speak English and I did not speak her language, she was able to ask her question using gestures and I was able to POINT her to the bathrooms.

Why is it so hard for your to believe that signing has been around as long as man has been around? :roll:

Wirelessly posted

drphil said:
Interesting reading the above consecutive comments. Unanswered -what has been going on "sign wise" since the beginning of recorded history with the deaf? Right-secret goat skin documents somewhere-say PFH imagination!

Gee: no books were around-not invented yet! Even more shocking COMPUTERS WEREN'T EITHER!

That is why it is difficult for us today to imagine the world thousands of years ago. How long has the world is existed-relevant to this discussion?

The Greeks and Romans wrote about people who could talk with their hands.

The Israelites had holy laws protecting deaf people from frauds and scandals.

Signing have been around since man started long long long long long time ago. Even caveman did some signs! Saw that on TV programme while ago. Signs was 1st language human did before they were able to speak.

Signing have been around since man started long long long long long time ago. Even caveman did some signs! Saw that on TV programme while ago. Signs was 1st language human did before they were able to speak.
Well, they probably could speak, but the others had no idea what they were saying (grunts). :hmm:

Well, they probably could speak, but the others had no idea what they were saying (grunts). :hmm:

:lol: I suppose that might be true, there always lots of cartoons and programmes of caveman using signs and pointing and grunting same time. They do able to make sounds but not proper speech waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then. Grunt, scream, shout, etc all they can do.

Wirelessly posted
The Greeks and Romans wrote about people who could talk with their hands.

The Israelites had holy laws protecting deaf people from frauds and scandals.
Do you know the source for greeks and romans writing about sign language?

Regarding the holy laws for deaf people among Israelites, are you talking about talmud interpretations of Leviticus 19:14, "Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD."?
I haven't found those laws anywhere, and if anyone know the source, please share!

Also read somewhere, with no sources, that Israelite laws favored deaf people who could speak with voices. Something with beeing able to know if a deaf person was insane or not.

Also, "Israelite laws" don't tell me what era you are talking about, as it could be spanning from 1000 bce to 100 ce. If it's in talmud, we are perhaps even in 500 ce. If you don't know, it's fine, I'm just interested to know more.

I am trying to find a GOOD book on deaf history, from middle age and back to the stone age. If anyone know, I would be happy to know, too.

:wave: Hi Flip! Haven't seen you online for a while, how are things going for you? Can you give us an update? All the best!

:wave: Hi Flip! Haven't seen you online for a while, how are things going for you? Can you give us an update? All the best!
I'm fine, thanks! Right now it's calm for a couple of weeks, and been thinking about an update on my recently extremely incredible exciting activation of silence ;) Will then post in the proper thread.

Btw, your name and location appears to be very thai, but your sig looks christian? Makes me a bit curious as I've experienced Thailand as overwhelmingly buddhistic, perhaps except from Islam in south and some schools run by christians. Have heard of at least one deaf school on the border of Laos if I remember right.

Flip, the farang!

Posted by drphil:

Perhaps you haven't heard- Cochlear Implants HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND FOR CENTURIES- nor have Hearing aids either. Why let a minor matter-reality clutter one's thinking!

Ear trumpet devices were used 200 years ago. Battery-operated hearing aids were available in the 1920's. My grandpa had the old-timey kind with the big box and the wire. How it would squeal! lol

Don't let you lack of knowledge keep you from posting. :lol:

Back