Letter to PepsiCo from PFH

Hrmm, does it make me a bad person if AGBell gave me a chunk of $$$ for paying off nearly half of my freshman year?

Btw, I liked the commercial, but I get the question "Do you know ASL?" time to time from various people. "Just because I'm deaf doesn't mean I know ASL". So I do feel that AGBell's comment about deaf population being diverse is quite true as most of my deaf friends do not use ASL, but those who do use ASL is slowly growing. Perhaps Pepsi can do a commercial incorporating both kinds or create two or so different deaf commercials?

Ask yourself this: Are you fine with AGB's underhanded tactic to try and pull down the signing deaf community for their profit?

Hrmm, does it make me a bad person if AGBell gave me a chunk of $$$ for paying off nearly half of my freshman year?

Btw, I liked the commercial, but I get the question "Do you know ASL?" time to time from various people. "Just because I'm deaf doesn't mean I know ASL". So I do feel that AGBell's comment about deaf population being diverse is quite true as most of my deaf friends do not use ASL, but those who do use ASL is slowly growing. Perhaps Pepsi can do a commercial incorporating both kinds or create two or so different deaf commercials?

So true...people make the automatic assumption that if you're deaf, you know ASL! In reality, less than half my deaf students are truly fluent in ASL. They don't use ASL features, but more of a signed English format when they sign. Some of them are more oral than signers...and this is at a big residential school for the deaf!

When that commercial came out in 2008, I wrote a letter in praise to Pepsico and one in protest to AGBell as a member. I received a polite reply I don't have now, but I recall it explaining that AGBell had received quite a bit of similar response from its membership in praise of the commercial and rejecting the letter as not being representative of members' sentiment.

AGBell posted some of those responses (not mine, though :) ), as well, and I think it has made an impact, one I believe has been reflected in some internal changes within the org. since that time.

When that commercial came out in 2008, I wrote a letter in praise to Pepsico and one in protest to AGBell as a member. I received a polite reply I don't have now, but I recall it explaining that AGBell had received quite a bit of similar response from its membership in praise of the commercial and rejecting the letter as not being representative of members' sentiment.

AGBell posted some of those responses (not mine, though :) ), as well, and I think it has made an impact, one I believe has been reflected in some internal changes within the org. since that time.

Not a member, but I got pretty much the same response to my letter of protest.

In reality, less than half my deaf students are truly fluent in ASL. They don't use ASL features, but more of a signed English format when they sign. Some of them are more oral than signers...and this is at a big residential school for the deaf!
That doesn't suprise me. I thought actually that it was very common for Signing Deaf kids to use basicly pidgeon Sign rather then pure ASL. But you prolly see a lot of contiunum on the sign spectrum right?
And wow.....you have some "more oral" then signers? At a RES SCHOOL? Oh DUDE!!! I would love for AG Bad to hear about that.......Are the more oral kids new (or relatively new to ASL)? But yeah......that really does fit my hypothesis that ALL the CI is going to do, is make Deaf Ed more Hoh friendly

That doesn't suprise me. I thought actually that it was very common for Signing Deaf kids to use basicly pidgeon Sign rather then pure ASL. But you prolly see a lot of contiunum on the sign spectrum right?
And wow.....you have some "more oral" then signers? At a RES SCHOOL? Oh DUDE!!! I would love for AG Bad to hear about that.......Are the more oral kids new (or relatively new to ASL)? But yeah......that really does fit my hypothesis that ALL the CI is going to do, is make Deaf Ed more Hoh friendly

And we are seeing some very good explanations for why that is in this thread.

But yeah......that really does fit my hypothesis that ALL the CI is going to do, is make Deaf Ed more Hoh friendly
I wonder if the hypothesis that Deaf Schools/ASL are "dying" is based on the assumption that the ONLY students who wil attend Deaf Schools or learn ASL are voice off severe profounders or oral/mainstream failures or kids who fell through the cracks.

I wonder if the hypothesis that Deaf Schools/ASL are "dying" is based on the assumption that the ONLY students who wil attend Deaf Schools or learn ASL are voice off severe profounders or oral/mainstream failures or kids who fell through the cracks.

That is the very assumption they are going on. And the assumption simply holds no validity.

Just got this response. Now I guess I know who to talk to.

Dear Mr. Webster,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact me at PepsiCo and for your kind words about our very special commercial, “Bob’s House.”

We couldn’t have been more proud of this commercial and the people whose creativity, sensitivity, and effort went into making a truly groundbreaking television experience. In those 60 seconds, we wanted to focus on ordinary people who happen to be deaf in order to highlight our similarities instead of our differences. The spot was developed by and featured some of our own employees who are members of EnAble, an employee network whose mission is to cultivate a more inclusive and diverse work environment, and all of us at PepsiCo support that mission fully. We sincerely hope that their creative effort has helped to generate greater public dialogue that serves to educate people on the important issues of equality and opportunity you articulated.

Thank you again for your thought-provoking and personal feedback. We greatly appreciate your friendship and support.

Julie Hamp

SVP, Chief Communications Officer, PepsiCo

Cool. Makes me glad I am sitting here with a glass of Pepsi!

Well written message, PFH. I missed the address you used at PepsiCo. Please post it here. I would like to write them as well.

Well written message, PFH. I missed the address you used at PepsiCo. Please post it here. I would like to write them as well.

I dont know if she wants a barrage of messages going to her.. She reports to the CEO too.. :P

I did some searching around for it though.

I dont know if she wants a barrage of messages going to her.. She reports to the CEO too.. :P

I did some searching around for it though.
I have some skills. I can write a decent letter.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Great result! Good on you PFH!
Need this more in Australia too. That's what it is all about.

. I received a polite reply I don't have now, but I recall it explaining that AGBell had received quite a bit of similar response from its membership in praise of the commercial and rejecting the letter as not being representative of members' sentiment.
Oh really? I actually think that's pretty awesome Grendel, do you think a lot of AG Bell members are on the moderate side of things? Like they're not anti ASL per se, but just wanted their kids first language to be spoken English? Or that they're operating on incorrect assumption that oral only= better education or other mistaken assumptions?

:ty: for posting the update/reply, PFH!
I also like how - at least based on that line - that the writer mentions the concept of seeing the actors as just people, reminds me of "people first " concept-

at the writer mentions the concept of seeing the actors as just people, reminds me of "people first " concept-
You know, I see both sides of the people first thing. But I think people first is precipated on the argument that disablity is a negative thing.
I am Deaf. It is my identity. Just the way my friend is Jewish, but not a person who happens to be Jewish.

I had not seen the honking pepsi commercial, as I am boycotting NFL for letting Michael Vick back into pro football, but thanks Jiro for posting it...so funny, love the caption for the dog (Bark, Bark). I am surprised such a good commercial is not aired regularly.

Brilliant letter PFH!

Great reply from PepsiCo.

ordinary people who happen to be deaf

So true! That would make nice quote.

I loved that advert, saw it 2009 thanks to this forum link to it to youtube!

Back