Hearing people's view of CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been all these videos circulating on facebook lately of infants being implanted and everyone being like OMG THEY CAN HEAR NOW!!!!

I got into a fight with some people on a viral video of a baby's CI being activated. The people cussed me out and told me I have disabilities of comprehension, then said I should get an education before replying to them. All because I said that I think the implantee should be involved in the decision.:roll:

And now all the numbskulls in those comments are arguing about religion.:dizzy:

Steph, you should tell your cousin to learn ASL and get involved in the deaf community, and get a hearing aid. The esteem is just a PR story.

My cousin is fluent in ASL and wears HAs...she just has limited benefits from them. I don't know much about the esteem implant other than a couple stories I've seen on it, and I'm sure it's much more complex that that.

Switched at Birth, Sue Thomas... - those are only movies, not quite realistic at that.
What REALLY are they educating about ?

What is needed, is proper semi- documentary about what it's like to be deaf/HoH
and how much all assistive devices including CI really help, and how.

Only then the attitude will change.

Fuzzy

Already done..

It's a TV show, not a movie.

They are educating the audience about the deaf and Deaf Culture. Obviously you don't watch it.

Shows, movies- whatever, the point is is not a documentary, not even a reality show. At least Sue Thomas isn't for sure.

I couldn't find Switch @ Birth in our Telus package we have, but I watched Sue Thomas many times.

Just how representative Sue Thomas of deaf and Deaf is?

Not to knock the abilities of the deaf people off,
but exactly how many deaf or Deaf do you know who have a job like that?
live a life like that?

It's like saying Marlee Matlin is representative of what being deaf is. She is not- she is an exception.

Just as Angelina Jolie of the hearing people isn't.

shel90
Already done..

What do you mean, Shel?
Like I've said, I haven't seen anything on 'regular' TV about deaf or deafness that would be educational since "Sound and Fury".

And I tend to channel jumping A LOT, trust me.
Plus I PPV record also A LOT
so I would hardly miss anything about anything related to 'deaf'.
Even if I don't have/subscribe to a a number of channels - still I see the titles of the shows that are going to be broadcasted on them and I don't see anything related, either.

So, if there IS something out there but only the deaf know about it because they care so they look for it,
chances are average public misses is just like I do, then, sadly.

What I want is something like Nature where the subject of deafness and HoH-ness and many aspects of what's like to live with it since birth is like. It would include what's like to hear thru HAs and Ci, too, of course.

Fuzzy

"Through Deaf Eyes" is a documentary.

Through Deaf eyes

That's just great - no CC :(
Dandy good it does me.

But judging by what I see in the pictures - yes, that's more what I mean.
If only there was something like that more often - like, at least once a month on TV.

Fuzzy

Through Deaf eyes

That's just great - no CC :(
Dandy good it does me.

But judging by what I see in the pictures - yes, that's more what I mean.
If only there was something like that more often - like, at least once a month on TV.

Fuzzy

I have it on DVD and it's captioned.

Shows, movies- whatever, the point is is not a documentary, not even a reality show. At least Sue Thomas isn't for sure.

I couldn't find Switch @ Birth in our Telus package we have, but I watched Sue Thomas many times.

live a life like that?

Telus? You must live in Canada, I live in Ontario. You're in luck though because "Switched at Birth" is actually premiering tonight on YTV at 9 o'clock. It will air on W next week as well. Nobody's calling these shows a form of documentary, they are scripted shows. However, they do show certain things that would reflect the culture itself.

The main character, Sue Thomas is based on a real person, Sue Thomas. She did work as an undercover investigator for the FBI. Her job was to read people's lips. Anyway, the TV show, Sue Thomas F.B. Eye is a pretty cheesy show, but it does expose people to Deaf Culture at times. I'm not a fan of the show myself, but I did meet the actress, Deanna Bray. She seems to be a nice and friendly woman.

live a life like that?

It's like saying Marlee Matlin is representative of what being deaf is. She is not- she is an exception.

Just as Angelina Jolie of the hearing people isn't.

What do you mean, Shel?
Like I've said, I haven't seen anything on 'regular' TV about deaf or deafness that would be educational since "Sound and Fury".

And I tend to channel jumping A LOT, trust me.
Plus I PPV record also A LOT
so I would hardly miss anything about anything related to 'deaf'.
Even if I don't have/subscribe to a a number of channels - still I see the titles of the shows that are going to be broadcasted on them and I don't see anything related, either.

So, if there IS something out there but only the deaf know about it because they care so they look for it,
chances are average public misses is just like I do, then, sadly.

What I want is something like Nature where the subject of deafness and HoH-ness and many aspects of what's like to live with it since birth is like. It would include what's like to hear thru HAs and Ci, too, of course.

Fuzzy

Here in the DC area, you would find many Deaf people working at good paying jobs.

... People jump to CI when they have a deaf child because they think that the child cannot possibly lead a happy, fulfilling life without them. I'm not against CI, I just think that people should be able to make their own decisions regarding them....

I find it ironic that you, a hearing person, initiated this thread by generalizing that hearing people do not understand cochlear implants when, in the post above, it is clear that you have no understanding of the parental decision regarding why parents of deaf children choose cochlear implants for their children.

Being a parent of a ci child and having been involved with hundreds of other parents of deaf children many who chose the ci for their children and some who did not, I can categorically tell you based on those experiences that you do not know what you are talking about.

You have taken a decision and a process that many parents take considerable time and effort in making and oversimplified and sensationalized it all to suit your narrow and misguided view. Thankfully, for thousands of parents and their children, the choice whether to provide an implant to their child rests with the individuals who know their child the best: the parents.

Any more ironic that someone that professes to know what is best for a child but having never experienced deafness or the challenges that go into growing up with a CI?

EDIT: this was in response to Rick48.

rick48..take a chill pill. She was talking about misassumptions hearing people make about CIs making a deaf person a hearing person or that CIs are miracles or that those who choose not to implant are deliberately choosing to isolate themselves because communication can only be orally. She wasn't talking solely about hearing parents.

You're way overreacting here, relax. All those things she's pointed out, yes, hearing people do hold those views and we're talking about hearing people in general. I know because they say those things to me.

Why are you so aggressive and hostile?

rick48..take a chill pill. She was talking about misassumptions hearing people make about CIs making a deaf person a hearing person or that CIs are miracles or that those who choose not to implant are deliberately choosing to isolate themselves because communication can only be orally. She wasn't talking solely about hearing parents.

You're way overreacting here, relax. All those things she's pointed out, yes, hearing people do hold those views and we're talking about hearing people in general. I know because they say those things to me.

Why are you so aggressive and hostile?

Ditto!!!!!!! For crying out loud rick, except in the cases of absolutly NO benifit from HAs, there is no harm in waiting until the kid is around toddler age and can help paint a clearer picture as to what they hear/or to help them decide whether or not they want a CI (and you know I know people who asked their toddler if they wanted a CI, and guess what THEY DID?!?!) ...they did it with my generation....many of us who are dhh weren't even dx until we were toddlers?!?!?

and you know what rick, please stop acting like it's 1990 and that we're all radical Deafies who think all dhh kids need to be educated voice off. What you don't understand is that we DO advocate for spoken language training for HOH and deaf kids who can benift from it. Many of us here grew up oral, and are grateful that we can communicate orally....You know there are a lot of Clarke/Sunshine Cottage/CID/St. Joseph's/other oral school alumni here you know!

And you know what rick? Many of us here have CIs!!!!!! *faint*

and you know rick, I think it says something when sites like Hearing Exchange and Hearing Exchange Kids are DEAD, but a Deaf flavored dhh site is BOOMING...........and it also says something that a lot of alumni of oral schools or dhh who grew up oral are here and wish they learned ASL and been exposed to deaf culture and gone to deaf schools!

Any more ironic that someone that professes to know what is best for a child but having never experienced deafness or the challenges that go into growing up with a CI?

EDIT: this was in response to Rick48.

Sorry but there is no irony but only real life experiences as I have raised a child with a ci who is now an adult, have you?

If you have not, then I have absolutely no interest in what you have to say about raising a child with a ci but if you have, then I would be interested in what challenges you experienced?

Before you get too bent out of shape go back and re-read my post, I did not say parents know what is best for their child, I said they know their child the best.

However, I can take your argument and flip it right back at you, if you cannot hear or have never experienced the ability to hear then how can you know what is best for a child? How can you truly say there is no benefit in being able to hear? Let's take it a step further, is it your position that fathers cannot know what is best for their daughters or mothers for their sons because they are a different sex? What about inter-racial marriages, are those parents incapable of knowing what is best for their children because they do not have the same racial make-up?

The fact is the OP made a simplified and generalized statement about why parents choose cis for their children, "jump at them" I think was the scientific term he/she used. You may not like to hear it but the overwhelming majority of the parents I have met over the last 25 years who made the decision put time, effort and research into their decision. It is not a decision lightly made and for those who chose the implant for their child, it is one usually made because of what they believe the cochlear implant can provide their child and not based on fear of a life without one.

Sorry but there is no irony but only real life experiences as I have raised a child with a ci who is now an adult, have you?

If you have not, then I have absolutely no interest in what you have to say about raising a child with a ci but if you have, then I would be interested in what challenges you experienced?

Before you get too bent out of shape go back and re-read my post, I did not say parents know what is best for their child, I said they know their child the best.

However, I can take your argument and flip it right back at you, if you cannot hear or have never experienced the ability to hear then how can you know what is best for a child? How can you truly say there is no benefit in being able to hear? Let's take it a step further, is it your position that fathers cannot know what is best for their daughters or mothers for their sons because they are a different sex? What about inter-racial marriages, are those parents incapable of knowing what is best for their children because they do not have the same racial make-up?

The fact is the OP made a simplified and generalized statement about why parents choose cis for their children, "jump at them" I think was the scientific term he/she used. You may not like to hear it but the overwhelming majority of the parents I have met over the last 25 years who made the decision put time, effort and research into their decision. It is not a decision lightly made and for those who chose the implant for their child, it is one usually made because of what they believe the cochlear implant can provide their child and not based on fear of a life without one.

Snickering slightly as the CI salesman gets snarky with one of those benefitting from a CI... :lol:

Wow Rick, I can see you put a lot of thought into this... Let's take this one step at a time.

So, only someone that has raised a child with a CI can comment on this? So my experience growing up deaf/hoh are not relevant?

No one is twisting your arm to stay here, if you have no interest in my experiences then what the hell are you doing here??? This is ALLDEAF not PARENTSOFDEAFWITHCI

I reacted to your comment with the same venom you used. don't ask me to not get bent out of shape when you come in here and get all bent out of shape discounting the deaf experiences and opinions just because they are not you.

so, because I am deaf I cannot make good decisions for my child???? Did you really just say that??? Oh WOW... just wow...

Once again, you are discounting the experience of those that grew up with these experiences. I too can claim to have done research, but you are ignoring the experiences that have been expressed right here on this forum. All the research in the world will not help you if you are not researching in the right places.

If you were going for shock value, you sure hit it.

"The fact is the OP made a simplified and generalized statement about why parents choose cis for their children, "jump at them" I think was the scientific term he/she used."

rick48 - go back and read the OP's post again. Nowhere did she mention hearing parents. She was talking about hearing people in general and their misconceptions of CIs.

talk about reading things into what was not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back