Politically Correctness

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, what kind of everything that you consider as politically correctness.

Feel free to discuss.

Disney has becoming politically correctness to remove the guns and cigars/cigarettes from movies, especially when they edited 1940s movies.

Viacom removed The Dukes of Hazzard from TV Land after shooting in SC.

PC is anything where the white man is targeted. All other groups. minorities and ethnic groups cannot be make fun of.

Sure, it is...

Feel free to list whichever is PC.
OK. This one really fries me.

The Navy has decided to change the titles of any professional ratings that have "-man" in the name. That is so bogus ridiculous!

During my entire 24-year career it never bothered me, a woman, in the least that some of the ratings had "man" in them. The same with my female shipmates. We didn't consider it any big deal.

For most of my career I was a Journalist so that rating wasn't included in the list of "man" ratings but for about two years I served as a Radioman when there weren't any Journalist billets available. Didn't bother me in the least.

Some of the ratings that could be effected:

Torpedoman
Radioman
Yeoman
Aviation Ordnanceman
Aviation Maintenance Administrationman
Aircrew Survival Equiptmentman
Hospital Corpsman
Fire Controlman
Legalman
Mineman
Ship's Serviceman
Damage Controlman
Machinery Repairman

It also means they'd have to rename the nonrated rates (E-1 - E-3) who are presently grouped by occupation as Seaman, Fireman, Airman, Hospitalman and Constructionman.

Man or woman, we were each proud of the specialty rating that we each attained.

The Navy has decided to change the titles of any professional ratings that have "-man" in the name. That is so bogus ridiculous!

During my entire 24-year career it never bothered me, a woman, in the least that some of the ratings had "man" in them. The same with my female shipmates. We didn't consider it any big deal.

For most of my career I was a Journalist so that rating wasn't included in the list of "man" ratings but for about two years I served as a Radioman when there weren't any Journalist billets available. Didn't bother me in the least.

Torpedoman
Radioman
Yeoman
Aviation Ordnanceman
Hospital Corpsman
Fire Controlman
Legalman
Mineman
Ship's Serviceman
Damage Controlman
Machinery Repairman

It also means they'd have to rename the nonrated rates (E-1 - E-3) who are presently grouped by occupation as Seaman, Fireman, Airman, Hospitalman and Constructionman.

I have also noticed this kind of thing in changing from mankind to humankind. Some things really sound contrived after the change (thinking of some hymns especially).

I have also noticed this kind of thing in changing from mankind to humankind. Some things really sound contrived after the change (thinking of some hymns especially).
Other terms like your example, chairman, Congressman and spokesman. Yep.

We don't use a PC hymn book or Bible at our church. Thank God.

Torpedoman
Radioman
Yeoman
Aviation Ordnanceman
Hospital Corpsman
Fire Controlman
Legalman
Mineman
Ship's Serviceman
Damage Controlman
Machinery Repairman

If they take man off of those jobs you have listed, they will have a better ring to the anyway, there will be exceptions of course such as: yeoman won't sound right just being a yeo and hospital corpsman won't sound right being called hospital corpsperson. All the others sound okay or will sound okay with taking man off or just replacing man with operator in its place.

Hi, what kind of everything that you consider as politically correctness.

Feel free to discuss.

Disney has becoming politically correctness to remove the guns and cigars/cigarettes from movies, especially when they edited 1940s movies.

Not to be too nit picky or politically correct, but it is either politically correct or political correctness.

If they take man off of those jobs you have listed, they will have a better ring to the anyway, there will be exceptions of course such as: yeoman won't sound right just being a yeo and hospital corpsman won't sound right being called hospital corpsperson. All the others sound okay or will sound okay with taking man off or just replacing man with operator in its place.
No, they wouldn't have a better ring to them; they would sound awkward and artificial.

Just removing "man" at the end doesn't make sense. A Legalman would become a Legal, or a Radioman would become a Radio. Ratings refer to the person not a thing.

Operator doesn't apply because that's an inaccurate description of the tasks performed.

It also doesn't solve anything for the nonrated sailors.

Not to be too nit picky or politically correct, but it is either politically correct or political correctness.

Not sure of your background but I have discovered that often things that feel just sort of "off" to those of us that grew up with standard English as our first language come from those that started with ASL. They have to at least stop and think to make the transition from ASL grammar to English grammar and for some it is harder than others.

But you aren't supposed to do that at all. It's rude and hurtful. And you obviously knew what he meant.

But you aren't supposed to do that at all. It's rude and hurtful. And you obviously knew what he meant.

Seb didn't do it the most thoughtful way; but how are those that make those kinds of errors ever to learn if it is not pointed out to them?

Seb didn't do it the most thoughtful way; but how are those that make those kinds of errors ever to learn if it is not pointed out to them?
They can use private messages.

Easy, write it the correct way when you post. But not as a correction.

They can use private messages.

But then the only person that learns anything from it is the person the message is sent to. If it is an open post, others learn the difference in grammar as well.

But then the only person that learns anything from it is the person the message is sent to. If it is an open post, others learn the difference in grammar as well.

But correcting people "in public" is RUDE.

No, they wouldn't have a better ring to them; they would sound awkward and artificial.

Just removing "man" at the end doesn't make sense. A Legalman would become a Legal, or a Radioman would become a Radio. Ratings refer to the person not a thing.

Operator doesn't apply because that's an inaccurate description of the tasks performed.

It also doesn't solve anything for the nonrated sailors.

Why doesn't radio operator apply and how does radioman fit the bill since it to doesn't fit the bill? How about radio operations and legal operations?

Back