Dodge Durango electrical issue

purplecatty

Reaction score
My 2005 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 having problem with elecricial. It appears to be a inertia switch (roll over switch). I tried to google search and They don't help me much.

When I start drango, engine runs smooth and transmission was fine. Whenever I turn hard or made U turn and accelerate, engine suddenly pulsating on full throttle and went pull over to shoulder or stop light, engine run kinda rough. I had to turn off/on Ignition. Finally engine ran fine like before. Also Cruise Control won't turn on while engine pulsating on full throttle. It had been a while and I put up with it by accelerate 3/4 way to prevent engine pulsating and Cruise control won't turn on. I checked fuses and reset all fuses and all relay switches. Cruise control finally worked and engine ran fine. But if I accelerate hard (pedal to metal trying to merge traffic) or make little hard Uturn, problem will start again and cruise control stop working until I turn off/on Ign then finally working back to normal.. I couldn't locate switch or sensor so I can fix or replace it. It's getting annoying because it's now 175,000 miles ODO. I don't want to send it to shop cuz I have bills to pay for and don't want any more bills piling on me.

Also my engine cuts off every once in a while if I drive slowly on rough terrian, durango rocking hard sideway on rough gravel road, engine get cut off. I started again and moved on. It had been like this since I bought truck in 2006 but it's not often it happen.

Suggestion???

Catty

Have you tried taking it to one of those auto parts stores for a free engine diagnostic? As I recall Autozone, Advance Autoparts will hook up a diagnostic electric tool to your car and give you a possible clue to what's failing.

Have you tried taking it to one of those auto parts stores for a free engine diagnostic? As I recall Autozone, Advance Autoparts will hook up a diagnostic electric tool to your car and give you a possible clue to what's failing.

Found it! NO. I didn't take it to Auto Parts for OBDII. Yes I did check with my Bluetooth OBDII tool I have on hand and Torque App on my phone. Now What really a problem was:

-EGR Valve (I ignored this for 5 years since engine light lit on. KS do not have Inspection each year like any other state. Screw this!!!)

-Cam/Crank Correlation Position sensor Bank 1 Sensor A

So I googled for trouble code P0016 and it turned up exactly what the problem was.

I'm going to auto parts to get CPS and replace it.

As for EGR, later because it's behind the engine (located near right side between exhaust manifold and intake manifold where pipe connect to EGR. It's a tight spot that require removing plastic cowl and removing wiper motor and air tubes off to access EGR. OR do it blind. Need 8mm and 10mm. Must lay on top of engine in order to work on EGR.

I don't feel like doing it. Many dodge Durango ower complained same issue with EGR. Newer dodge Durango have EGR in front of engine!! Grrrrrrr

Catty

Well that is interesting you got errors from the obd reader. Just in case replacing the CPS doesn't fix it I found this through google:

http://www.autocodes.com/p0016_dodge.html

Take note of the possible causes:

- Timing gear misaligned
- Faulty crankshaft position sensor
- Faulty camshaft position sensor
- Engine oil dirty
- Incorrect engine viscosity
- Crankshaft position sensor circuit is open or shorted
- Camshaft position sensor circuit is open or shorted

So basically if you replace the CPS and yet there's no improvement then above are possible other causes for the issue.

As for the EGR valve, maybe you could get by with an induction cleaning service. Most oil change places offer an intake cleaning service so that could be a cheap and less frustrating option.

Check oil level. Does your vehicle came with oil pressure gauge in the dash? If so, observe oil pressure gauge when you maneuver as you mentioned to see if oil pressure drops or stays steady oil pressure. It may cause code P0016. Does this vehicle run low fuel in tank? I know your vehicle have an EGR problem in the past.
If oil level or oil pressure ok then try to throw new crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensors (I think 2 camshaft sensors), use dealer parts. Hope that help

Camshaft position (CMP) sensor is bolted to the front/top of the right cylinder head. Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted into the right rear side of the engine block. Maybe you take a look at the harness wirings at CKP sensor or CMP sensor to see if this harness wirings may loose or rubbing on the engine block or somewhere. Pay attention to rodent's poops in the engine or engine compartment, worth to looking, maybe chewed wires

Back