ASL meeting groups

Randy and I have gone. I liked it until it turned into a school for newbies who did not want to pay for classes.

I had hoped to have conversations and good visits with people, not level one vocab words.

Closest one to me on that site is 35 miles and not in a decent part of the state.

Closest one to me on that site is 35 miles and not in a decent part of the state.

Forgive me, I forgot what town you are in. (You don't have to disclose here). If you are in a reasonably large-sized town, perhaps you could set something up? (I can help you if you need!)

Forgive me, I forgot what town you are in. (You don't have to disclose here). If you are in a reasonably large-sized town, perhaps you could set something up? (I can help you if you need!)

I am in West Palm Beach. It is very large, but I don't think I could handle starting one myself. I am too insecure.

Randy and I have gone. I liked it until it turned into a school for newbies who did not want to pay for classes.

I had hoped to have conversations and good visits with people, not level one vocab words.

I recently went to an ASL meetup and I do not have a working knowledge of ASL, only half the alphabet and maybe ten signs! At first I felt like a burden but a woman there did help me out a little and taught me colours, drinks and such. When she had to go, another guy there helped me with some vocab. There were other conversations happening alongside us too amongst other people.

Now I'm not so sure how I feel about going to a meetup... I really really liked going and I had a lot of fun, but from what you said, how terrible is it that I am going and don't know any sign? I am indeed too cheap to pay for classes. I am unemployed and staying in a town for the summer that I have never been in. I have only a little pocket money. But I still want to learn sign!

yeah, I had heard of them and actually did sign up for one in my town. You could do so online and give a little intro about yourself. I was the only deaf who signed up. Yah, didn't go. I don't like hearing people treating me like an ASL guinea pig.

yeah, I had heard of them and actually did sign up for one in my town. You could do so online and give a little intro about yourself. I was the only deaf who signed up. Yah, didn't go. I don't like hearing people treating me like an ASL guinea pig.

:lol: My husband and I went to a class because he wanted to improve our signing. It was done by our local deaf center, but had everyone but us was hearing, not even hard of hearing.

I felt exactly like an ASL guinea pig.

That was exactly why I didn't take ASL classes for a long time. And exactly why I am taking private lessons now. :) I didn't want to get a bad case of Deaf Rage in an ASL class, it wouldn't be pretty!

That was exactly why I didn't take ASL classes for a long time. And exactly why I am taking private lessons now. :) I didn't want to get a bad case of Deaf Rage in an ASL class, it wouldn't be pretty!

That was my problem I had. Basically in my case, I was used as an example for the rest of the class. They were all school teachers and I was the only one deaf.

There's an ASL meetup in my town, and I've only recently started learning ASL (my hearing loss being fairly recent). I'd really like to go because I know practice is vital (and though there are classes in my area, I couldn't find any that worked with my schedule- I both work and go to grad school). The last thing I want to do though is make anyone feel like a guinea pig. Would any of you have any tips on how I could prevent that?

Maybe try not to think too much about it? When I was 25 years old, I took my first ASL class at Arizona State U and I was the only deaf one there. I was upfront about the fact that I had never learned ASL and that I was int he same shoes as everyone else in the class. From then on, with that and the ASL II, III, and IV classes, I was never treated as a guina pig.

Just some food for thought...

I confess a past experience gave me an aversion to hearing ASL students. In grade 10, a girl in my drama class was taking an ASL class and she decided I was the perfect person to practice with because I'm deaf despite that I told her I didn't know ASL at all. She would only sign if she had an audience. If it were just her and I passing by in the hallway, I didn't exist.
After a couple of months of her waggling her fingers in my face while twisting her head around to see if her friends noticed, I had enough and basically said to her very very slowly to get her f'ing fingers out of my face.

She never bothered me again.

I don't know, maybe I am resistant because my whole life is about catering to the hearing world and this process of learning ASL and about Deaf culture and history and learning that I am not the only one who feels this way about this or that, all of that is deeply personal and I don't want the hearing world to intrude into this and once again, impose their space. And I'm afraid that will happen if I go to an ASL class.

I really like having private lessons because it's not just about learning ASL, it's also about learning about my teacher, her background, deaf culture in Montreal, beliefs, it's like an ASL and history and culture and social meet all wrapped up in one.

In my group talking isnt allowed. You must at least know the alphabet. The last time I went the group was divided because two people including my friend didnt know their alphabet that well. Those who were fluent had their own convos while the novices had their own. My groups organizers are deaf/fluent. No one is treated like a guinea pig, but I feel its because of a good group structure. All meetups are different so dont let that discourage you. If one meetup doesnt fit you create your own. I did. Tootles

In my group talking isnt allowed. You must at least know the alphabet. The last time I went the group was divided because two people including my friend didnt know their alphabet that well. Those who were fluent had their own convos while the novices had their own. My groups organizers are deaf/fluent. No one is treated like a guinea pig, but I feel its because of a good group structure. All meetups are different so dont let that discourage you. If one meetup doesnt fit you create your own. I did. Tootles

The other day, I met someone from AD and we went for dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant. We're both learning ASL and agreed to not talk at all during the entire meal. It really forces you to practice what you've learned. I learned new signs from her and vice versa.

Talking kinda defeats the whole point of an ASL meetup, no?

I think you kinda answered your last q. You are forced to use what you learned more. Also some people may not know how to lip read so it makes sense. Less complicated. Im glad you enjoyed yourself.

I recently went to an ASL meetup and I do not have a working knowledge of ASL, only half the alphabet and maybe ten signs! At first I felt like a burden but a woman there did help me out a little and taught me colours, drinks and such. When she had to go, another guy there helped me with some vocab. There were other conversations happening alongside us too amongst other people.

Now I'm not so sure how I feel about going to a meetup... I really really liked going and I had a lot of fun, but from what you said, how terrible is it that I am going and don't know any sign? I am indeed too cheap to pay for classes. I am unemployed and staying in a town for the summer that I have never been in. I have only a little pocket money. But I still want to learn sign!

No offense to anyone intended.
Everyone helps everyone. I was too vague with my answer...at the one I attended it became a basic vocab class with no signed conversations happening.
It was not what I wanted or needed.

Back