Back for another try at the HA/CI section!

Deaffy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have taken a few month's away from the site to kinda take a sit back and let things go for awhile. I had taken something's that have been said in this section of the forum quite personally and I had said something's that probably should never have been said. With that being said I am back and want to continue to share my journey with my CI with those who have the device and those who are seeking information on it.....

It has been a wild ride from comming here back in january '10 reading and getting information on what to expect from my evaluation on the CI, to where I am sitting today may 2 2011.. I am hearing better than I could have dreamed of hearing. I have gone leaps and bound's in what I was expecting this device to give me. As I look back on the first few day's on how things sounded so abnormal and metallic to how things are sounding today, it amazes me what the brain is capable of achieving with some hard work and dedication. I have only been mapped 3 times and am not expected to be mapped again anytime soon. I have gone from 0% speech recongition to 90% which is amazing. I can now hear bird's chirping, river's flowing,children laughing, trains whistling. The things that I had thought were once a figment of my imagination and only could be "heard" in my dreams have now become a reality once again. My relationship with a new girlfriend has evolved in a different way than what my previous marriage was like. I no longer stress on misunderstanding things in social settings, I sometimes have to remind her that she is not with a hearing man and that she is with a deaf man. Life has a funny way of going up and down and since going through this entire journey it has been nothing but GREAT! I have since taught myself how to play the guitar now that I am able to understand musical theory and am able to apply that to my instrument and using my CI to hear if I am making mistakes while playing. Life is funny how it play's out. I waited 10 long silent year's to have this done, and sometimes I wonder was the wait worth it? or was spending all that time in silence teach me to be more appreciative of things I have today!

Welcome Back!! I look forward to hearing more about your journey!!

Good to see you back Deaffy. And that's great about your musical progress. Whoa! You could play the guitar! :)

Wow Deaffy, thanks for sharing, it's amazing how much rewards a "one year" gave you, 90% is just a miracle and you have broke some records with the guitar, LOL
Can you tell us how is your hearing situation in noisy places like restaurants & bars and do you rely on lip reading on not, are you using HA & Ci combo?
You were one of few who helped me in my CI research and you were one of few who wished me the best just before my CI surgery over 5 weeks back, please stay here we need you :)

Hey Deaffy

Great to have you back...As I am just about 2.5 weeks post implantation surgery I look forward with great anticipation to even gaining a fraction of what you can "hear" now.

Of course your experience is what I hope and pray for, but I am keeping my expectations low so I am not dissappointed.

As was mentioned before, your posts were used in my decision making process before going ahead with the CI and I look forward to reading more.

F1885,
My experience in noisey enviroment's are touch and go really. For me it depends on who I am conversing with. Some people I can hear really well in those places and others I have to rely on lipreading. For the most part it is alot easier than it was for me when I did the 3 month HA trial pre implant. I rely soley on the CI for all my hearing needs. I first tried the HA in my left ear after being turned on just to see what it would be like and it seemed to over power the CI and confused me alot so I decided to just stick with the CI alone and am glad I have taken this route. I really hope that you progress well with your CI and look forward to reading your progress :)

Ptcallaghan,
That is exactly how I went into my activation. Low expectations, and it was worth it. At first I could only hear female voices I could not hear my fathers voice to save my life that first day I could also not tell that the radio was even on... But I kept trying and trying and sooner than later things began to make sense and come in clearer for me. I hope that your activation that is upcomming goes well and that you wont have to struggle to hear like so many other CI user's. No two people's journeys are alike. We each live a different life and will have different experience's. GOOD LUCK!

Welcome back! So glad to read that you're doing very well with your implant! :) I really do enjoy reading of everyone's progress with their CIs and learning of how they're doing.

Welcome back deaffy and keep your comments based on your experience- coming.

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

y experience in noisey enviroment's are touch and go really
. Yes, but that's universal among hoh people. Even unilateral loss people have great difficulty in noise.

I am new here. I didn't see you the first time around. I am glad that you like your CI and that you are willing to share your journey on CI.

What a wonderful essay. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm fairly new here and haven't seen your former posts, so hope you can bear with me on a few questions. Were you a late-deafened adult? Did you get any benefit at all from hearing aids? If you have memories of hearing naturally, how does your CI compare with those memories?

It sounds like it has all worked out very well for you. Very inspiring.

Back