Zebadee's Activation.

do u feel an overall improvement ? or is it still too early days to tell?
what was ur speech regonition scores before and after?
have u any regrets?
im due surgery in march and im still so interested and amazed at how people get on post activation.
best of luck to you

He was 100% hearing before - an accident made him deaf and he was implanted ASAP so he's in a different situation than those of use who were born hoh/deaf or have been hoh/dafe for a long time.

She's right. I was 100% and after my fall I had no hearing what so ever in either ear. But I'm doing really well given my situation. They say most people take a few months to get used to hearing well enough to understand speech and such.

It really is an improvement from being completely deaf. Right now everything is kinda metallic sounding, and people sound kinda like robots...
But they say that goes away with time. I'm hoping a few weeks.

No regrets, other than I have to wear this processor all the time.

Best of luck with your operation and activation! Hope all goes well!

Nichola, I was just implanted on Dec 28th with a Nucleus 5 i haven't been turned on yet but will post when they do. ( hopefully soon.. i still have stitches) My speech score before being implanted was 12%. So if they do test right after turning on I'll post the results. That was one of the things i was looking for when i started my research on implants.

Zee, I'm so happy that you are doing good..

zee- keep up the hard work, hopefully ul reap the benefits.
iv ebeen wearing two aids for years and ive finally gotten used to them. they are the latest tech and u can barely see them,then i seen the processor and my heart sank.... but the nuc five is alot neater than ab,
it will kill me having to wear this processor in march. i totally understand ur point on this,
have u much hair to hide it? its alot easier for women to hide it,
is it sore on ur ear?
deb. thats great news, il be following ur posts for surekeep us posted, when u activated???

zee. how long did u take off work? are u back in work yet?? what wud people think is a good time frame to take off?

zee- keep up the hard work, hopefully ul reap the benefits.
iv ebeen wearing two aids for years and ive finally gotten used to them. they are the latest tech and u can barely see them,then i seen the processor and my heart sank.... but the nuc five is alot neater than ab,
it will kill me having to wear this processor in march. i totally understand ur point on this,
have u much hair to hide it? its alot easier for women to hide it,
is it sore on ur ear?
deb. thats great news, il be following ur posts for surekeep us posted, when u activated???

zee. how long did u take off work? are u back in work yet?? what wud people think is a good time frame to take off?

I don't have a lot of hair right now but i'm letting it grow back out. I cut it before so it wouldn't look funny when they shaved part of my head..
Ear isn't sore, no.

I didn't have a full time job, I was in school. But there are other circumstances keeping me back at school, since i still cant walk well and mom doesn't want me to drive yet.. Accident related, not from surgery btw.
But I could be back in school if i could drive, but i also only just lost my hearing. My audi said I was doing way above the average user.

I would say you definitely need to take off a week, maybe two, because i doubt you want to be going to work while your head is hurting...

Well, It's been a week since activation (almost), and things are going really good for me.
I've been able to successfully listen to songs that I already knew. And watch movies that I've already seen. For the most part it's easy to understand. Some of the more uncommon words are harder to understand. but I think it's going really well to only have been a week. I really feel that in a few weeks I should be doing great!

Well, It's been a week since activation (almost), and things are going really good for me.
I've been able to successfully listen to songs that I already knew. And watch movies that I've already seen. For the most part it's easy to understand. Some of the more uncommon words are harder to understand. but I think it's going really well to only have been a week. I really feel that in a few weeks I should be doing great!

Got a good feeling too that you will be. Keep wishing you well and let us know how its going.
Take care,
Rick

Glad to hear of your progress zebadee!

Wonderful Z! I think you are going to do amazing things -- will be fantastic once you get past the initial volume steps and they provide you with some really sophisticated programs to try out in different circumstances.

Zee,

I am so glad that you're adjusting at a rapid pace with the CI.. It's a neat device. Just wait till you get better programs it just gets better and better all the time. I go through minor spells of not hearing the greatest once in a blue moon ( congestion maybe) but I would never look back on getting the CI and say I made a mistake. It's great to hear the success story's about people who decide to get this device. It just goes to show you that those who are negative about it really just dont know what its actually like! Like you said the metalic sounds will begin to fade over time. Your brain will just start accepting the sounds as normal and u wont even realise that it sounds like that. I remember when first activated I would hear a ( Ziiiiing) with just about every noise I heard. No longer do I hear like that. Good luck man in the future!

I can actually hear a lot. And understand a lot for that matter. My audiologist was very impressed with me. I went through her first 4 levels of speech understanding. And after the first day of activation I called my sister and was able to understand her..
So it's going really well.

I would say you are going extremely well. As to the head phones, there is no such thing as feedback with the CI. I wear head phones when I'm flying and no problem at all. Wear them as I always did with the ears in the cup and the CI is behind the ears so in the cup as well. Nice to be able to hear other aircraft again and fell much safer in the air :) . You should continue to improve for at least 6 month or more and the more you use it the better you are. Mine goes on when I wake up and off when I go to bed. I'm do for my second one a week from today then will most likely be three or four weeks before activation. Looking forward to hearing with two ears and being able to tell directions again via sound. At least better than I now do. Good luck. TV is very difficult to understand so don't be discouraged. When you can use your CD that will be a big help in learning to comprehend.

I use full sized headphones with my CI and hearing aid in the other ear. With the full size headphone I shift the headphones a bit higher on the head so that it will be conformable for my needs. I will not get feedback with the CI and I had to be more careful with the hearing aid so that it will not feedback. I also use induction plates that is connected to my Sony Walkman and put both the CI and the hearing aid in T-coil settings. This method is usefully to block out more of the outside sounds that I do not want to hear.

I can actually hear a lot. And understand a lot for that matter. My audiologist was very impressed with me. I went through her first 4 levels of speech understanding. And after the first day of activation I called my sister and was able to understand her..
So it's going really well.

I would say you are going extremely well. As to the head phones, there is no such thing as feedback with the CI. I wear head phones when I'm flying and no problem at all. Wear them as I always did with the ears in the cup and the CI is behind the ears so in the cup as well. Nice to be able to hear other aircraft again and fell much safer in the air :) . You should continue to improve for at least 6 month or more and the more you use it the better you are. Mine goes on when I wake up and off when I go to bed. I'm do for my second one a week from today then will most likely be three or four weeks before activation. Looking forward to hearing with two ears and being able to tell directions again via sound. At least better than I now do. Good luck. TV is very difficult to understand so don't be discouraged. When you can use your CD that will be a big help in learning to comprehend.

i dont understand.. how do you feel safer in the air being able to hear? its not like any hearing will make ANY difference when a 747 hits a 727 in mid air...

Well Zee that is good news- rapid progress since activation.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I am still continuing to progress really really well. I'm at my winter job, it'll be over in about 2 days. But it's going well, so far i've been able to understand the songs well enough to keep up with the words, but the new songs that I don't know, I'm clueless.

And as for the feedback question, I basically got my answer yesterday! I was wondering about actual feedback in a sound system, not really from headphones or anything. It wasn't loud at all even though everyone else had a fit.. haha.

And on the personal audio cord situation, that ended up being fine as well. The guy I work for did some fine work and made me a kit that was basically a modified in ear monitor.. But it works really well. and it hasn't messed anything up yet so thats good too..

I think i'm progressing fantastically. The only problems I have are in noisy environments.. It seems like if its really loud my processor cuts the volume down and muffles everything. Not really cool. But I can listen to music and watch tv, talking on the phone is still a bit hard, but its getting better!

I think i'm progressing fantastically. The only problems I have are in noisy environments.. It seems like if its really loud my processor cuts the volume down and muffles everything. Not really cool. But I can listen to music and watch tv, talking on the phone is still a bit hard, but its getting better!

That's so amazing to hear, I hope that you will get better on the phone soon, you are only one week out. The phone is so important to me and that's why I'm holding off the implant for now until I feel that I can do good with it

That's so amazing to hear, I hope that you will get better on the phone soon, you are only one week out. The phone is so important to me and that's why I'm holding off the implant for now until I feel that I can do good with it
That although it's up to you on whether or not you should get the implant, however I wouldn't base its criteria based solely just on how well one could do on the phone with it. For starters, one could also always practice with it after they get the CI. For instance, like in audio verbal therapy sessions with their therapist or something.

I'd agree with below. My circumstances have made my progress great. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to hear fine with it after about a month or two. Plus talking on the phone mainly takes practice! It's trying to find where to hold it thats my problem!

Hey Zee. Does the processor feel heavy on your ear... I get turned on thursday and my ear is still tender. Just wondering.

Back