possible CI

tmbdancer

Reaction score
So for the past couple of years I have been going through many testing to find out the source of my hearing loss and what can be done. It is unsure if I was actually born with a hearing loss or if it was developed with age but bottom line is that they can not find a source other than genetics and my hearing is a lot worse. I received my first pair of hearing aids at age 10. Now at age 19 it is appearing that hearing aids are not helping me enough. Many doctors have suggested that I think about receiving CI. My most recent visit to my hearing aid provider ended in disappointment. She receive this amazing new machine where she entered my audiogram and placed a small microphone on my ear drum. The machine was able to hear what my hearing aid was putting out and where it should be. The disappointing part was she turned up my hearing aids to the level it needed to be and I could hear everything clearly, but when she did the safety test it was reaching over 120 dB. We had to turn it back down and I left not much farther than I had arriving. I have one more test later this month for an auditory processing test. After it is back to my nerologist to find out the next step. I can not continue living with this constant struggle to hear and keep up with conversations. If my doctor suggest surgery for the implant should I go through with it.

So for the past couple of years I have been going through many testing to find out the source of my hearing loss and what can be done. It is unsure if I was actually born with a hearing loss or if it was developed with age but bottom line is that they can not find a source other than genetics and my hearing is a lot worse. I received my first pair of hearing aids at age 10. Now at age 19 it is appearing that hearing aids are not helping me enough. Many doctors have suggested that I think about receiving CI. My most recent visit to my hearing aid provider ended in disappointment. She receive this amazing new machine where she entered my audiogram and placed a small microphone on my ear drum. The machine was able to hear what my hearing aid was putting out and where it should be. The disappointing part was she turned up my hearing aids to the level it needed to be and I could hear everything clearly, but when she did the safety test it was reaching over 120 dB. We had to turn it back down and I left not much farther than I had arriving. I have one more test later this month for an auditory processing test. After it is back to my nerologist to find out the next step. I can not continue living with this constant struggle to hear and keep up with conversations. If my doctor suggest surgery for the implant should I go through with it.

Only you can decide. Do your research. Also, a good CI clinic will not only test your hearing but also your readiness for the surgery both physical & psychological.
I would also begin learning ASL as you will still be deaf when not wearing your HAs or CI(s).

I am late deafened. I'm not yet to the point of being a CI candidate but am getting closer. Unless something better comes along by the time I am, I will probably get a CI.

Only you can decide. Do your research. Also, a good CI clinic will not only test your hearing but also your readiness for the surgery both physical & psychological.
I would also begin learning ASL as you will still be deaf when not wearing your HAs or CI(s).

I am late deafened. I'm not yet to the point of being a CI candidate but am getting closer. Unless something better comes along by the time I am, I will probably get a CI.
I agree with this.

the problem with using sign is that no one around me uses it. I'm not in a community where this is a common thing to use it. Not only will I have to learn it but also everyone I interact with. My hearing loss makes me feel lonely and depress a lot. Relying on sign would probably make it that much worse with the depression because i wouldn't have anyone to communicate with. I grew up in the hearing world. I am not part of the deaf community. I have only interacted with two deaf people who rely on sign in my life. I can see how sign would help but it would not benefit me to rely on it.

I'd go for it! You've got a progressive loss and that's the type that responds VERY well to CI. If you're clearly maxing out on HA, and are getting little to no benifit from them......there's nothing wrong with going for it.

If you are getting good results over the safety threshold without pain, ask them to at that setting or close to it. You are continuing to lose your hearing anyway, this may prolong your need for CI or other technology.

If you are getting good results over the safety threshold without pain, ask them to at that setting or close to it. You are continuing to lose your hearing anyway, this may prolong your need for CI or other technology.

What about bilateral vs going bimodal? Should the OP play it by ear? See what works for them?

Back