On the ranch

deafdrummer

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been gone all summer on a ranch to the west of Houston. I moved out of Houston in late June and am on the road, as far as a place to live goes. The ranch is 13 miles or so south of Hallettsville. Home Page | Green CHAI, the Ranch In this video, Auger Agony - YouTube I'm the lady dressed head to toe to stay cool. My time will be up at the end of this month, and I go house-sit in Houston for a month. It looks like I may go near Brenham to help develop a small farm in October.

It has been great. Lots of hard work in the heat. I've helped set and stretched fencing, taken down several structures including an outhouse (demo'ed two days ago), built a chicken coop, cut up and burned thousands of pounds of dead wood, pulled plants, etc.

I'm staying in a fifth wheel trailer on the ranch. It does have a window AC unit that isn't enough to push cool air where I'm sitting. At least I have a clean, safe place to stay. I commented on FB that you know you've been out in the country when you wave at oncoming traffic. I was doing that on the freeway going into Houston on a resupply trip last week. It took me a few times to stop doing it.

I want to add that it's possible that I may have found what it is that I want to do, to help people starting out develop their farms through offering my labor and ideas. I know that I have been looking to find something that adds real value through knowledge and supplying a crucial need for survival, growing your own food.

I want to add that it's possible that I may have found what it is that I want to do, to help people starting out develop their farms through offering my labor and ideas. I know that I have been looking to find something that adds real value through knowledge and supplying a crucial need for survival, growing your own food.

Hi, and welcome back. Hopefully, somewhere, sometime along your journey, you will find a way to get some health insurance.

:wave:

Enjoyed your video; a good work out, eh? Cute cat. :)

:wave:

Oh, it was, Reba. We did 131 fence posts in 5 day's time over a couple of weeks (as I was not yet living there as the resident intern yet). We were used to doing about 35+ posts in a 4-5-hour period, and yet, on the day before, we got stuck at 15 posts in a 5-hour period. And we were WIPED OUT. I directed the mechanics of the drilling, since I ran the throttle and would say, "down, down" or "up a little, up a little (to keep the drill going and not hang in the clay)" or "clear!" (to spin the dirt out of the drill, drop it back down, and sit down to wipe the dirt away from the hole so we could see when to stop on the final pass).

It would be nice, Tousi to get insurance. I was able to get on a grant at the local clinic in the Montrose area, which gives me a tremendous discount on the appointments and bloodwork. If I have an emergency, there's a hospital where I wouldn't have to pay, based on my income. It can only be that one hospital, though. Next year is going to be VERY interesting, because I have no idea what's going to happen. Will Obamacare be repealed? Will I, being a Texan, not have to participate in it? Will I, also having to pay more than 8% of my income for this, qualify for a hardship exception? Who knows!

Last edited:
Back