Hamilton Relay Service to be suspended

deafdrummer

Reaction score
Attn: Hamilton Internet Relay Users

You are receiving this email as a current Hamilton Internet Relay user or as someone who has registered for a Hamilton HomeTown Number in the past.

Hamilton Relay has made a difficult decision to suspend its text-based Internet Relay services effective May 15, 2013. This includes Hamilton Web Relay and Hamilton Instant Relay with Google Talk™ and AOL Instant Messenger®.

If you currently have a Hamilton HomeTown Number and would like to keep this same number, you will need to port your number over to a different provider. Hamilton will hold your HomeTown number until May 30th so that you have sufficient time to complete a successful port.

To initiate a port, simply contact the provider you wish to use going forward and inquire about their porting process - you may be requested to complete a form. For your convenience, a list of Internet Relay providers can be found at: TRS Providers | FCC.gov.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If there are questions or concerns about Hamilton Internet Relay or your HomeTown Number, please email us at info@hamiltonrelay.com or call us at 1-877-445-4563.

This is Relay Service NOT CapTel make sure you understand the difference!

I didn't say ANYTHING about CapTel... Read what it says, direct from Hamilton.

Why are you not surprised, Biker? What do you know? The only thing I know is, a relay agent who inserted words in my mouth at my former supervisor without my knowledge was caught and fired for a previous incident. I found out about it when I was told by a store manager that I was cussing at her over the phone, and I was not. I brought to work transcripts of the conversation AND a copy of the email from Hamilton admitting that the agent responsible for the incidents was fired. The matter was resolved.

Following FCC :)

Do you expect only VRS to get bust for scam? No, FCC is now expanding their investigation for possible scam by Text relay providers.

What trigger the whole mess is that FCC already knew there was scam going on for years but had no way to prove. With over 50 relay service providers the chances are one of them turned out to be bad apple and sadly, it was Deaf owned company owned by John Yeh that FBI were able to intercept hard evidence showing abuse, and that was E mail correspondence. Once FCC has conviction on their hand, they now working on other types of relay service for investigation on possible scam, so far none have found (That is to my knowledge).

Why are you not surprised, Biker? What do you know? The only thing I know is, a relay agent who inserted words in my mouth at my former supervisor without my knowledge was caught and fired for a previous incident. I found out about it when I was told by a store manager that I was cussing at her over the phone, and I was not. I brought to work transcripts of the conversation AND a copy of the email from Hamilton admitting that the agent responsible for the incidents was fired. The matter was resolved.

I know I am just trying to keep anyone from getting confused by the very similar names.

I was going to port my number over to AT&T relay service, only to get this:

--------------------
AT&T is notifying users of its IP Relay Service that AT&T has decided to discontinue our IM Relay service effective June 23, 2013. As a result, AT&T Relay will no longer be accepting new or porting numbers for this service.

To select another provider or for information, you may contact the FCC links: TRS Providers | FCC.gov or Ten-Digit Numbering and 911 Calls for Internet-Based TRS: What They Mean for Users | FCC.gov.
---------------------

What is going on?? Are they shutting down all IM relay services in this country? Who do I go to to do relay on the computer AND my phone as well?

I was going to port my number over to AT&T relay service, only to get this:

--------------------
AT&T is notifying users of its IP Relay Service that AT&T has decided to discontinue our IM Relay service effective June 23, 2013. As a result, AT&T Relay will no longer be accepting new or porting numbers for this service.

To select another provider or for information, you may contact the FCC links: TRS Providers | FCC.gov or Ten-Digit Numbering and 911 Calls for Internet-Based TRS: What They Mean for Users | FCC.gov.
---------------------

What is going on?? Are they shutting down all IM relay services in this country? Who do I go to to do relay on the computer AND my phone as well?

I don't know what is going on. But . . . it is beginning to look like those of us (at least Dr. Phil & myself among those that post here) that kept our TTYs and use the State Relay Service that is reached by dialing 711 weren't so dumb after all.

It's not about being dumb. I dropped the landline years ago, and now, I'm dropping the AT&T U-verse Internet access as part of my transition to ranch living, in which there is NO Internet access out there unless you use satellite or tethering to your phone.

What is 711? Can I reach that with my mobile phone? I need a relay service that I can access through my computer and phone.

It's not about being dumb. I dropped the landline years ago, and now, I'm dropping the AT&T U-verse Internet access as part of my transition to ranch living, in which there is NO Internet access out there unless you use satellite or tethering to your phone.

What is 711? Can I reach that with my mobile phone? I need a relay service that I can access through my computer and phone.

Here is a little more information about 711. 711 for Telecommunications Relay Service | FCC.gov

I don't know about a way to use with computer but you can use with a cell phone. The key thing for that is the connection between the phone and the TTY. The small hand held TTY that I used (Krown's PocketCom) is no longer made. But the last I knew the port for connecting a full size TTY to the headset port on a cell phone was still an option on TTY's made by Krown. Also, I think the Clarity Q90D and Ultratec's Compact/C are still current. But, if you buy used, you have to watch out for specific models of the compact/C. You will find reference to a 2.5mm headset jack; if your phone, as most later model phones, has a 3.5mm one there are adapters.

Here is a little more information about 711. 711 for Telecommunications Relay Service | FCC.gov

It sounds like to me IM relay through Instant Messaging is being discontinued in its entirety. Can any one dispute this and provide an IM relay provider that is NOT shutting down? I need it for the computer, otherwise, I have to inform everyone and force them to email or text me.

It sounds like to me IM relay through Instant Messaging is being discontinued in its entirety. Can any one dispute this and provide an IM relay provider that is NOT shutting down? I need it for the computer, otherwise, I have to inform everyone and force them to email or text me.

You might want to look back at this thread http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/111619-relay-texas-offers-free-phones-deaf.html especially if you are staying in Texas and just leaving Houston. There are some links in that and a link to Texas agencies in one of the links. You may well be able to get a TTY through them and use that with your cell phone.

Also, I want to remind you that CapTel services (landline, computer, & cell) are NOT GOING AWAY. I don't remember how you feel about speaking though. You do not have to understand what the other party is saying (it comes in captioned — you can also listen as well if you want to) but you do have to voice your side of the conversation.

Last edited:
You might want to look back at this thread http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/111619-relay-texas-offers-free-phones-deaf.html especially if you are staying in Texas and just leaving Houston. There are some links in that and a link to Texas agencies in one of the links. You may well be able to get a TTY through them and use that with your cell phone.

Also, I want to remind you that CapTel services (landline, computer, & cell) are NOT GOING AWAY. I don't remember how you feel about speaking though. You do not have to understand what the other party is saying (it comes in captioned — you can also listen as well if you want to) but you do have to voice your side of the conversation.

Is it necessary for me to have a telephone if I want to receive calls through CapTel on the computer and type back my end of things?

Question 1. Can you talk on phone and others understand you clearly?

If you say Y, then captioncall is perfect choice, because there is no keyboard, no nothing to type back. You talk directly to the person you are calling, and the captioncall operator hears other end of your calls and type so you can read what the other person is saying to you.

If you say N, then Captioncall is useless for you. You need what is called Text relay service like SIPrelay or something like that. So that operator reads and type what both of you say on the phone and yes you need to type in your response.

Question 2. Did this answers your question?

Is it necessary for me to have a telephone if I want to receive calls through CapTel on the computer and type back my end of things?

Here is the FAQ page for Hamilton Hamilton CapTel: PC/Mac: FAQs

Personally I am doing something they don't mention. I have two cell phones active on PagePlus a Verizon MVNO which is cheaper than one smartphone line on Verizon. I am using one for the browser like you would on a computer and the other line to speak into. It is slower at the stage of entering the number to call if it is not for someone in your address book on the phone but works fine.

I went to the above after trying Wireless CapTel by Sprint. (Click on the different parts of the site here for more information What is CapTel? | Sprint CapTel) Sprint talked about it working on any Android Phone with the OS at 2.2 or higher and at least 3G service regardless of provider. Now they have changed their tune and say you need 4G service or WIFl. I DO NOT have the combination of fast and stable enough signal here mainly because Verizon does not allow any prepaid service (even their own) on their 4G service.

If you have the right service (from anybody not just Sprint) the Wireless CapTel by Sprint app does have the advantage of using VOIP for your voice and thus not needing voice minutes to work.

Does Captioncall require you to have minutes on your phone to process the audio part of the call?

Not clear what you mean. Captioncall itself is 100% free, no long distance calls or minutes. That is from my understand because Captioncall relies entirely though Internet. And Internet is NOT a phone company so there shouldn't be charge.

If your connecting using wireless Internet or satellite Internet, it may be whole different ballgame.

Instead of asking people around here. You will not get straightforward answer, and you can be even more confusing. Contact Captioncall, there is contact information on their website.

https://www.captioncall.com/captioncall

Does Captioncall require you to have minutes on your phone to process the audio part of the call?

A landline is required for Captioncall. Until all this is sorted out, everyone is going to reach me via email or text. (in the voice of a Goa'uld lord) Otherwise, you WILL be punished for your insolence (Goa'uld ribbon device whooshes and glows as a warning).

I have advised you to check caption call website, there is FAQ which already answered your question.

Will using CaptionCall increase my monthly phone service bill?
No. CaptionCall works automatically with your phone service provider, with no increase to your monthly bill. And because the captioning service is free and funded by the FCC, you won’t have to pay any additional monthly fees to use CaptionCall.

Does using CaptionCall impact the services I’ve selected from my phone service provider?
No. CaptionCall works seamlessly with the services you’ve selected from your provider, including call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, and caller ID.

Can I use my CaptionCall Phone for long-distance calls?
Yes. Your phone service provider’s standard long-distance charges will apply.

Back