Limitations of D/deaf people because of interpreter knowledge

ecp

Reaction score
I have progressive hearing loss that has been severe to profound for the past 5 years. I learned ASL back when I was 4 (I am 26 now). I didn't have to rely on interpreters until recently.

That is some background.
I am in graduate school for biomedical engineering and will hopefully be starting medical school net year.
The problem is that I can't rely on hearing even with my super power BTEs and FM to keep up in class (I'm half way through this semester and have a C average. I would and should have an A but I miss stuff in class).
The school knows that in undergrad I had an ASL interpreter but as awesome as she was I am reluctant to request another interpreter because once you reach a certain level of science/medicine, the interpreters' knowledge is limiting for you.

For example: there is a huge difference between an ether and ester but they sound similar. If the interpreter doesn't know the difference I am screwed.
Also, in organic chemistry we have "Alkeynes", "alkanes", and "alkenes". There is a very big difference between the three but if I am relying on an interpreter who has never had graduate level organic chemistry then I am screwed.

I must restate that the interpreters I have had were awesome. We met after class to make up signs for words that we couldn't find signs for.

But what I'm saying is that despite how amazing an interpreter or captionist is, we are always limited by their knowledge. I wouldn't trust my fellow students to transcribe a lecture because they get so much wrong and they are in graduate school for this area.

Thanks guys.

I loved my former interpreters but I'm trying to figure out how to get by for the next 3 years. Any help would be appreciated.

great topic, let me think about this for a few days id get back (making a film...sooo bussssyy)

Same with my MCSE classes. There are plenty of terps fishes in city I was studying in - but they had to learn the technical signs/jargons and had to make them up on the fly as we go. just remember - all signs nearly makes sense on past signs- but may mean differently. Also its up to YOU to teach every single new terp that comes along. So My advice to you - keep a select few for your classes that fits your style of signing and knows YOUR technical signs.

You may need to ask who is the agency they are working for that the school contracted with and do a little interview with a select few you want and explain what you want and need. I did this and then scheduled a meeting with the school HR and explained what I wanted. At first they were apprehensive, but after they saw the reasoning, no new costs, better grades to come they settled with my wishes.

good luck to you.

I have progressive hearing loss that has been severe to profound for the past 5 years. I learned ASL back when I was 4 (I am 26 now). I didn't have to rely on interpreters until recently.

That is some background.
I am in graduate school for biomedical engineering and will hopefully be starting medical school net year.
The problem is that I can't rely on hearing even with my super power BTEs and FM to keep up in class (I'm half way through this semester and have a C average. I would and should have an A but I miss stuff in class).
The school knows that in undergrad I had an ASL interpreter but as awesome as she was I am reluctant to request another interpreter because once you reach a certain level of science/medicine, the interpreters' knowledge is limiting for you.

For example: there is a huge difference between an ether and ester but they sound similar. If the interpreter doesn't know the difference I am screwed.
Also, in organic chemistry we have "Alkeynes", "alkanes", and "alkenes". There is a very big difference between the three but if I am relying on an interpreter who has never had graduate level organic chemistry then I am screwed.

I must restate that the interpreters I have had were awesome. We met after class to make up signs for words that we couldn't find signs for.

But what I'm saying is that despite how amazing an interpreter or captionist is, we are always limited by their knowledge. I wouldn't trust my fellow students to transcribe a lecture because they get so much wrong and they are in graduate school for this area.

Thanks guys.

I loved my former interpreters but I'm trying to figure out how to get by for the next 3 years. Any help would be appreciated.

Why don't you request CART? Then you'd also be able to have the lecture printed out... It might be a bit of a fight I get them to provide it in addition to a terp, but if you explain this to them maybe they will be more inclined...

That is some background.

Thanks guys.

do you have notetakers?

...For example: there is a huge difference between an ether and ester but they sound similar. If the interpreter doesn't know the difference I am screwed.
Also, in organic chemistry we have "Alkeynes", "alkanes", and "alkenes". There is a very big difference between the three but if I am relying on an interpreter who has never had graduate level organic chemistry then I am screwed....
Since you aren't using interpreters or CART for your lectures, how do you currently know whether the instructor is saying "Alkeynes," "alkanes," or "alkenes?" How do you know if the professor is saying "ether" or "ester?"

Also, even though the above words look similar, they are pronounced differently. Do you think the interpreter won't hear the difference in pronunciation and make the wrong word/sign choices?

Finally, do you think your lecture comprehension would improve or would it decrease if you use an interpreter? I'm not asking if it would be perfect, just whether or not it would be better or worse.

But what I'm saying is that despite how amazing an interpreter or captionist is, we are always limited by their knowledge.
Was that your experience? Did your former "amazing" interpreter make a lot of word/sign choice mistakes during lectures?

I think using a team of captioner for a full transcript, in combination with a notetaker for outline/summary notes would be a possibility. By comparing the full transcript with the summary notes, you could spot any inconsistencies with terminology and make the corrections. Even with that, it might be useful to have a terp on the team, too, so that you don't lose out on any live interactions with the prof and other students.

I think using a team of captioner for a full transcript, in combination with a notetaker for outline/summary notes would be a possibility. By comparing the full transcript with the summary notes, you could spot any inconsistencies with terminology and make the corrections. Even with that, it might be useful to have a terp on the team, too, so that you don't lose out on any live interactions with the prof and other students.

Thanks for the replies.
Currently I don't know if the professor says alkenes vs alkanes. I rely on the girl I sit next to (one of my friends) to note the difference.
I don't have a note taker currently but am looking for one. The problem is that most people rely on listening to the recorded lectures at home and then take notes.
I'm trying to get the school to caption the recorded lectures. They are running to technical problems with the captioning service.

I realize that what I wrote could be insulting to interpreters. That was not my intent.
It just is that I and my classmates have been in post secondary education for 6+ years and are getting terminal degrees and even we don't always understand lectures. I would love to have an interpreter who is able to faithfully reproduce what is said.

Thanks for the replies.
Currently I don't know if the professor says alkenes vs alkanes. I rely on the girl I sit next to (one of my friends) to note the difference.
You don't think an interpreter could hear the difference between words?

I don't have a note taker currently but am looking for one. The problem is that most people rely on listening to the recorded lectures at home and then take notes.
You could take home the printed transcript from the CART service and then take your notes.

I'm trying to get the school to caption the recorded lectures. They are running to technical problems with the captioning service.
I hope that works out. :)

I realize that what I wrote could be insulting to interpreters. That was not my intent.
It just is that I and my classmates have been in post secondary education for 6+ years and are getting terminal degrees and even we don't always understand lectures. I would love to have an interpreter who is able to faithfully reproduce what is said.
Interpreters don't have to apply the lecture; they don't have to teach the subject; they only have to interpret.

Have you even tried using an interpreter this semester? If so, did you notice a lot of "alkenes v. alkanes" mistakes?

Do you get better grades with or without a terp?

Transfer? Find a school with a stable of terps ,,something like RIT whick has really skilled technical terps. At least they did when I knew people there. They have so many terps with technical terp skills. They could get grad level degrees themselves.
Barring that, captioned lectures and notes are your best means of getting the sae info the hearing peeps do

Ugh note takers SUCK!

So is that girl who was sitting next to him. Never know she is suck, too.

I am amazed that ecp has not asked her to be her notetaker.

ecp. > But still it is better to get an interpreter who might be able to do technical words to help you getting the good grade. She or he can hear the sounds of differences when the professor speak. Often time, the interpreter will interrupt the professor to make sure he was saying the word that she could not catch him. Sometimes professor have an accent which might be a little difficult for the interpreter but still most interpreters can hear very well when they listened to the speakers. You have to remember they are not deaf or hard of hearing. That is totally different all together. I don't know why you refuse to have an interpreter because of what you think that interpreters might not understand the complex or technical index in the classroom. There is nothing to be afraid of. Do you want to have a good grade, then get an interpreter that will help you get the A or A+ grade? So go for it. :wave:

Regarding an interpreter signing the improper word, I can see how this might be a problem at first, but as the interpreter becomes more familiar with the subject matter and the language, I would be shocked if the number of mistakes didn't decrease (assuming there were very many mistakes to begin with). And even if the wrong word is signed, can't you pick up from context what the right word probably is? And if there is confusion, can't you ask the interpreter, or even ask the professor to repeat himself for clarity (assuming the interpreter doesn't ask for clarity himself)?

I guess I'm not seeing how an interpreter would be a disadvantage in this situation. I want to echo a question that Reba asked: Did you have a previous experience where an interpreter repeatedly signed the wrong words and meaningfully hindered your ability to learn?

I've had interpreters who've had to use a LOT of technical language and it's never been an issue. My 'terp team is provided with a copy of the syllabus, a textbook(s) as well as a vocabulary list before the first class. From there we work out any additional signed that need to be used in class etc. It's really not an issue.

For some courses such as those heavy in maths (chemistry, engineering, etc) there may be some courses that are better suited to CART (and a summary notetaker). Again the CART operator would be versed in the vocabulary so it's unlikely you'd run into more than the rare error (it's your job to speak up and clarify if something doesn't make sense with the teacher!).

Honestly, I've never run into the issues you seem to be having and I've had dozens of 'terps over the years.

Last edited:
Pre-assignment prep is what any responsible interpreter would do.

I also don't expect that my 'terp team is going to know the signs for everything day one - heck I'M not going to know the vocabulary we're LEARNING on day one either. I consider it part of my role as a student (and a student with interpreters) to make sure that my team and I sit down and have "mini meetings" before class to deal with any vocab or signing questions we might have before class starts. We both make sure to arrive 15mins early and use the time to go over anything (if needed, otherwise we sip coffee and rest !)

I also have my primary 'terps email addresses ... if either of us comes up with any potential issues between classes we can get in touch. A good example would be if I'm reading through my textbook/assigned reading for the next class and come up with 10terms we don't have on our vocab list. I can email them with the terms, definitions and sign links (or ask for suggestions if I don't know it). I also add the words to the master list and send it out the update so everyone is on the same page (especially important in case of sub 'terps!!)

Really this isn't any different than a hearing person would do with a study mate etc - and I'm actaully benefiting from it because once I've done the brief amount of work to update my 'terp team I've also been really solidifying the terms and meanings in my own head. Really it's "win win".

I should mention that I also had a note taker - not a professional one, just a really detail orientated student who took legible notes.
In my case because the class sizes where small and I told everyone that I was Hoh/Deaf anyway - I allowed myself to be identified as the one needing notes (it's suppose to be confidential)- and that student just emailed me the notes the next day when they had them all typed up into doc. format.

Let me guess......this interpreter does not work on college campus. This interpreter was hired by school to come on campus to interpret your class and then interpret different gigs off the campus. Is that why interpreter may not be up to your par? The school has no interpreters on their staff. They hires from agency, right? Is that why interpreters may not know signs of those jargons?

I was able to use voice recognition software (auditory processing disorder, undiagnosed at that time) with most of my teachers, I set up an appointment with each that agreed and set up the profile. set up the voice recording during class and then sent it through the laptop with the software at home. The software did a good job, I watched them/slides/white board whatever in lecture.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the ideas, opinions, and advice.
Many of you asked if my school provides interpreters. There are only 70 people in my program. Only ~500 in the whole school. I am the first d/Deaf student at the school. Ever.

Honestly I feel stuck between the hearing and deaf worlds. I am right on the edge. With my hearing aids I can understand some people (men) in quiet but if there is the least bit of background noise I understand nothing. Many people who meet me get the impression that I'm "not that deaf" because we meet for the first time in quiet. Other people who meet me in noisy people are surprised that I can "hear" when we are in a quiet situation.

Thanks for the replies. I need to be more of a self advocate.

Continue to be amazing people.

Back